It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A, currently, hypothetical campaign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I have previously only discussed this with close family. Today, I would like to bring this to my ATS extended family, and get some input!

For those that don't know me (probably most), I have been a long time contributor here at ATS and I have learned that, when honest, frank advice is desired, ask the community at ATS!

I am currently involved in my community as a volunteer paramedic. Previously, I served as a policeman and later on the board for my city's human rights board.

I believe in transparent government, because only through transparency can we foster open and productive discussion. I have strongly been considering running for my states house of representatives, and feel that I could truly serve as a voice to the people of my community and surrounding area. I believe that the voices of people like you and I often get drowned out by political rhetoric. I feel that this is the gravest injustice to our democracy.

I suppose I am asking if my aspirations are a mere pipe dream, or something that I could do to really make a difference and give back to those who have blessed my family and I with so much love and support over the years.

I believe America is broken. That our constitution is the single most important governing document and the highest law of the land. I believe our current system exploits this document, and attempts to distort it to fit their views. Instead, our law makers should conform to this document and support and defend it.

As many others have said, liberty for security is never an equal exchange.

So,there it is my friends! Am I crazy?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Everyone's crazy.

Depends how you feel really...

If you think it's worth the time and effort then go for it...

Sadly, I can't vote for you all the way over here...

But that shouldn't deter you, many would, as from what I understand, true Constitutionalists are hard to come by in the Political Arena...

& that demographic is screaming for a representative.

Good luck in your decision.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Locally and Nationally, we have the best government can buy. Are you ready to tackle the corruption, you know you will find?
Are you ready to deal with some very "persuasive"' people?
edit on 26-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

If you're crazy, then so is my congressman, Thomas Massie. And he made it to the U.S. HoR.

We need more people like you in government, not less. Of course, if one stays true to the purpose of elected representatives, even though you have strong personal beliefs, you also have to know when to set those aside to truly represent the will of the majority in your district (if they are at odds with yours). You have to be willing to set aside the contemporary political belief that, if you got elected, that must mean that the majority of your constiuents agrees with your view 100% of the time.

If you can do that, then you'd have my vote.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Charlie, I have seen so many career politicians really lacking in this area (supporting the constitution. When you say "over here," (if I'm not prying!) where do you mean? I always love hearing how those from other parts of the world view the continual attacks on our most sacred (democratically wise!) document.

I really appreciate the advice and the "go for it" was kind of something I needed to hear!

olaru, You're absolutely spot on with the "can buy!" Honestly, in regard to tackling corruption, I feel that regardless of the outcome (win, lose or draw
) it will send a message to corrupt politicians that regular, everyday people like me are ready for a revolution - not with violence but with votes and true representation of we, the people's, will. I don't take such a task lightly, nor do I kid myself regarding the complexity of such an undertaking. But I do know this, I would put my heart in it 100% and do everything I could to support the truth!

I think we both see how some of these people may be a bit "persuasive," but to me, that's just a chance to dig in deep and demand honesty, integrity and most importantly transparency!

slapmonkey, its very inspiring to see that others have made it without giving in to pressure, especially from so called special interest groups. The only special interest group I am interested in is the will and voice of the people who ALLOW me to represent them!

After reading this post earlier, I really did some soul searching to ask myself if I could truly put my own beliefs on hold when the people demand it, and I believe that failing to do that would be a disservice to my neighbors and fellow citizens! I want to thank you for posing such a question though, as I think many "career politicians" would benefit from such soul searching!

Especially with the idea that everyone supports all of my views. I can see the wisdom in such a statement, and in such a situation, majority rules holds true here!

I was thinking about the campaigning, and I feel that taking the time to go door to door and sit down with people and just hold a true, intelligent conversation with them would be a great way to hear their concerns and the changes they'd like to see. In a way, help them see if I'm the right "man" for the job or not. But it wouldn't stop there, if I was permitted to serve as the voice of my neighbors, I would ensure I was never more than a phone call away from addressing their thoughts and demands from my employers: the people!

I don't believe in smear campaigns, and I believe that I should run on merit alone, or not at all!

Thank you to all 3 of you for the very stimulating questions and thoughts! It means the world to me!

JB

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I'm from London mate...

& there definitely is a lack of Constititional effort on the part of the U.S. politicians I've heard...
I'm sure there is a few who are fighting for the Constitution but with the media we get, it's rarely anyone other than Ron Paul.

As of late there does seem to be an increase in unconstitutional goings on that people here at ATS have eluded to...

I don't know if that's because it's been planned that way...

Or if the current admin are just pushing their luck in the latter stages of their reign.

Hopefully it picks up, & I wish you all the best in you choices.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
I have previously only discussed this with close family. Today, I would like to bring this to my ATS extended family, and get some input!

For those that don't know me (probably most), I have been a long time contributor here at ATS and I have learned that, when honest, frank advice is desired, ask the community at ATS!

I am currently involved in my community as a volunteer paramedic. Previously, I served as a policeman and later on the board for my city's human rights board.

I believe in transparent government, because only through transparency can we foster open and productive discussion. I have strongly been considering running for my states house of representatives, and feel that I could truly serve as a voice to the people of my community and surrounding area. I believe that the voices of people like you and I often get drowned out by political rhetoric. I feel that this is the gravest injustice to our democracy.

I suppose I am asking if my aspirations are a mere pipe dream, or something that I could do to really make a difference and give back to those who have blessed my family and I with so much love and support over the years.

I believe America is broken. That our constitution is the single most important governing document and the highest law of the land. I believe our current system exploits this document, and attempts to distort it to fit their views. Instead, our law makers should conform to this document and support and defend it.

As many others have said, liberty for security is never an equal exchange.

So,there it is my friends! Am I crazy?

You have to understand you will find corruption at every level, including the lowest with school board, fire, police, etc... Not all are bad though. You will find some who will be ready to go toe to toe with you, and some who will do everything in their power to block you at every turn. The question you have to ask yourself is "Are you up for that? And think long and hard because obviously politics is a commitment. If you are, then I say go for it. Is your family ready to stick with you through the bad days, as well as the good? Your opponents might try to dig up mud, on you, your spouse, your children if you have them and display it for all to see in the media. If there is even the slightest speck of dirt, you have to be prepared for that, because even at the local level, mud slinging occurs. (Sadly enough.) I despise dirty politics, but it seems to be the game.

Take this time to decide what you want your platform to be. What group do wish to cater to, if any? There's obviously a LOT of thought that goes into this, but I wish you the best of luck, please keep us posted and I'd love to know how you do.

top topics

join