It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sons of Liberty - History Channel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Any fellow ATS'ers watching this or catch it? Just about at the end of episode one and so far I'm pretty entertained.

Acting seems to be decent, good script, good settings and scenes.

Looking forward to the next two episodes, and I will admit that it's making me want to go back and re-read some books on the era. I'd almost forgotten how interested I can get into stuff like this.

Anybody else have some thoughts on the show so far? Perhaps some books they've read about the subjects and/or time period in general that they found interesting and worthy of sharing?

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I've been meaning to catch this, but haven't seen any episodes yet. Looks really interesting!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Tonight was the premier, if I'm not mistaken. It's a miniseries, so only three episodes. Good thing about history channel is they'll play the crap out of this in the next few weeks, and hopefully get it out on DVD soon too!

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If you enjoy it for entertainment value, fine. But the history itself they portray....is HOGWASH. Please, read some REAL history books on the era. As a history "buff" myself, the American Revolution in particular, I personally cannot even watch it without getting sickened to my stomach. There are so many good sources of accurate history that is also compelling, dramatic, and entertaining, I fail ti understand how a channel called "The History Channel" can so easily ignore history.

This miniseries is NOT history, so please don't believe anything it presents as factual. There are more mistakes and outright fallacies in it than accuracies.

It is to the American History what Finding Bigfoot is to National Geographic Explorer.

edit on 1/25/2015 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Please man. Even the "reality" shows on History aren't real lol.

I thought it was a good show, and it re-sparked my interest in learning more about the men involved. To me, that's the best that History Channel can do for people: get them interested in a subject and send them off on a journey to learn more.

As you're a buff, do you have any books you'd suggest? I'm not trying to sound lazy about finding new material to read, I'm asking if you personally have any books that you enjoyed more than others.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

1. Private Yankee Doodle
It is the private journal of Pvt Joseph Plumb Martin who served in the war. It recounts all the things he saw and did...no better account than first-hand.

2. Dr. Joseph Warren: The Boston Tea Party, Bunker Hill, and the Birth of American Liberty
A great historic look at the man that, had he not been killed at the Battle of Bunkers Hill, would very likely have led the troops alongside Washington. He was one of our countries long forgotten hero's.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

I watched the first episode and I was somewhat entertained.

It is tough to compare any production of the Revolution without brining up HBO's John Adams which was phenomenally produced and cast and whose accuracy was very good.

The big thing that irked me last night was the accents, they even had one guy speaking in a Southie dialect which I though was funny. I was waiting for him to tell Sam Adams that he was going to the Sawx game in his cah and was going to have seats on top of the Mahwnstah.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Agreed on all accounts. I haven't seen the full John Adams series but it's in my Netflix lineup. What I have seen, I enjoyed.

I will also say that while I enjoy Sam Adams beer, I did think the commercials for it during every break was a bit much. I get that they're trying to tie it all in but good God man, it was over the top.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Awesome! Thanks Krak!!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Agreed on all accounts. I haven't seen the full John Adams series but it's in my Netflix lineup. What I have seen, I enjoyed

You really should make a point of watching the entire miniseries, it is by far the best production of the persons and events up to, and through the revolution. Every single actor does a spectacular job as their respective historical persona. I think you will appreciate Danny Houston's John Adams quite a bit more then the History Channel version. There is a bit more seething animosity which underlies the sentiment for many during that time.

And Stephen Dillane is great as Thomas Jefferson Baratheon.

I will also say that while I enjoy Sam Adams beer, I did think the commercials for it during every break was a bit much. I get that they're trying to tie it all in but good God man, it was over the top.

Yeah, that was a but goofy and over the top.

edit on 26-1-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
kind of funny they use the "British band" Rolling Stones paint it black as the promo music..You'd think Histo would use an American band.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
SPOILER ALERT: America wins it's independence!

I have been anxiously awaiting this since they started running the ads. I refrained from watching last night because I didn't want to fall asleep halfway through. I am going to watch episode one this afternoon on demand while we enjoy the blizzard in the NE.

I was in Boston a few years back on business and had a few hours to kill so I swung by Lexington and Concord and the North Bridge. I stood overlooking the bridge, alone, for about a half hour. I got so interested in the Revolution that day I started reading and viewing anything I could find.

I ran out and bought a book called "Patriots. The Men Who Started the American Revolution". Author is AJ Langguth. I enjoyed that a lot.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: XP100

Aside from your book suggestion, all I have to say to you is thanks for ruining the rest of the show for me!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Sorry! By now I have seen all three parts. I loved it! I want more!

BTW, AMC's series TURN is great to, about the Long Island spy ring during the Revolution. Check that out from the beginning if you haven't seen it.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
If you enjoy it for entertainment value, fine. But the history itself they portray....is HOGWASH. Please, read some REAL history books on the era. As a history "buff" myself, the American Revolution in particular, I personally cannot even watch it without getting sickened to my stomach. There are so many good sources of accurate history that is also compelling, dramatic, and entertaining, I fail ti understand how a channel called "The History Channel" can so easily ignore history.

This miniseries is NOT history, so please don't believe anything it presents as factual. There are more mistakes and outright fallacies in it than accuracies.

It is to the American History what Finding Bigfoot is to National Geographic Explorer.

What exactly in the show is "hogwash"? Would you care to elaborate on the mistakes that where made to enlighten the rest of us?

How can you not even watch the show and then comment on all the inaccuracies of the show?

Which "history" books would you recommend?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: XP100

Thanks xp I'll give it a look!

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood

originally posted by: Krakatoa

What exactly in the show is "hogwash"? Would you care to elaborate on the mistakes that where made to enlighten the rest of us?

How can you not even watch the show and then comment on all the inaccuracies of the show?

Which "history" books would you recommend?

Sorry, this was the first chance I could get to respond to this request. I think this site does an excellent job of describing the series intent as well as some of the most glaring historical inaccuracies in each episode.

source

I hope this helps put this fictional series into perspective for everyone here.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a few other good books:
As if an Enemy's Country
www.amazon.com...

"In the dramatic period leading to the American Revolution, no event did more to foment patriotic sentiment among colonists than the armed occupation of Boston by British soldiers. As If an Enemy's Country is Richard Archer's gripping narrative of those critical months between October 1, 1768 and the winter of 1770 when Boston was an occupied town"

The First Salute: A View of the American Revolution
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422686685&sr=1-6&keywords=Tuchman

I would also look up and read any books about the Revolutionary war in the Carolinas.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
They certainly took a lot of "liberties" with history.
The portrayal of Ben Franklin, however, may have been more accurate than most historians would like to admit.
He was a cool dude, and celebrated life a bit more flamboyant than his peers. The contrast of being one of the smartest people on the planet at the time, and one who really enjoyed the company of women and fine wines has many stereotypes in today's world. Go Ben!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Sons of Liberty was a super condensed version of events.

Lot's of historical inaccuracies a short good search will explain.

I expect more from the HISTORY channel.

My go to movie about the American Revolution was the Patriot with Mel Gibson.

Way better than Sons of Liberty.
edit on 1-2-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join