It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Queen (UK) should move into a council house - What say yall?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: korkythecat

How about making them survive on jobseekers allowance since they would be "redundant". I would laugh my socks off if they got benefit sanctioned, and had to go to a food bank. That's what I would call social justice.

First of all I'd like to state I'm not particularly pro or anti-monarchy - I'm pretty much apathetic towards them; they have absolutely zero impact on my life and they cost a pittance per tax payer,(an elected President would probably cost a damn sight more).
As long as they keep out of trying to influence government policy I tend to view them as a quaint anachronism that provides a bit of a focal point for national identity and pride......if they ever did try to influence the running of this country I'd be one of the first to work towards their abolishment.

But why would you like to see them reduced to what amounts to begging?
They aren't responsible for the social and economic problems in this country.
Surely a more fitting target for your anger and desire for 'social justice' would be those who have implemented the policies we both find disgusting - Cameron / Osbourne / Ian Duncan Smith / Gordon Brown / Tony Blair etc?
Or the bankers and industrialists etc who continue to bleed this country dry?

And for the record; I am a proud product of a council estate.
Never had much financially but it provided a terrific sense of community and a great founding for the realities of life.
Then Thatcher's housing policies completely ripped the soul out of those communities and New Labour's social engineering dealt them their death knell.

It's pretty obvious to me where the finger of blame should be pointed and far too convenient, simplistic and even slightly naïve to blame the Royal Family.

edit on 25/1/15 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

I apologise Khaleesi, it was made with a tongue in cheek. It's the same as Schuyler. The rich never had their houses took off them. What happens here is the rich he was on about that live in large country mansions usually can't afford to maintain them (no that's a lie really they just don't want to spend their own money maintaining them) so they offer them to the National Trust who take over the running of them. But with one crucial difference, the National Trust still lets them live there.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

One thing can be guaranteed. The Monarchy have money in places the UK Government can't get to or knows about. That is a given. The agenda to remove the Monarchy is as old as the Monarchy itself. In the modern era there is still great concern for the Queens Royal Prerogative. It's very debatable subject matter but most can agree that common law still allows the Monarchy's residing crown holder to assert Royal Prerogative in times of great emergency or concern. For the UK it is a sort of a check and balance capability. Sort of like the US separation of powers with regard to branches of government.

Royal prerogative in the United Kingdom

Further more. The Royal family has a heap of benefactors lined up if such a thing ever happened.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
We, the UK have had monarchy forced into us until we yap in Pavlovian response to our aristocratic 'masters'. It's time the people woke up and got rid of the robber barons and their clique empire. Change is due, the many will kill the few, time will prevail.
Enjoy it while you can Lord Snooty.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join