It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremely Contagious Measles Virus is Back. Outbreak That Started In California Expanding.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Well I guess that means everyone just got used to polio then.

Correlation does not equal causation.

It seems every time a story like this is posted we get to see a real case study on confirmation bias.

I swear its like the people who see Jesus' face in a piece of toast and think it's a sign from God.

It isn't. Its a phenomenon called pareidolia. A perfectly reasonable explanation based on scientific facts instead of cursory and lazy data correlation.
edit on pFri, 23 Jan 2015 14:57:31 -0600201523America/Chicago2015-01-23T14:57:31-06:0031vx1 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I remain neutral don't take my sarcasm as bias, I am skeptical on vaccines though, I watched a kid with a small pox vaccine get shuffled out after something really bad happened to him, ppl in NBC had to come in and clean our berthing area and never seen the marine again. Half the time I see stuff like this I get very cynical because all too many times my gut tells me this is either to sell something, or scare people. From what I understand when I was born in the 80s it was mandatory for babies to be vaccinated against the measles or shortly after birth to get the shot. So either way I look at it, I remain cynical, either selling the shot, making a case against people here illegally, or selling fear. I guess people only got sick when they got to the park, no one thought hmm kid looks pretty damn sick maybe should go see the doc, hell no that never happens.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Autism is questionable? Try living with it before you decide mouth off. And no I didn't need conspiracy websites to tell me the facts, I had two parents in the medical field and several non-family medical professionals that documented the results.

Considering you never actually have anything nice to say, let alone anything related to the post besides attitude and personal attacks, I'm not even answering your next question/reply/petty attack.

Enjoy your ego, and your internet anonymity, you have no idea what you're talking about.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

My feelings on vaccines are that it's easy to point at people who have been injured by them. Reactions are real. You will never, ever make a vaccine that is 100% safe. It just isn't possible. Now, is everything attributed to them caused by them? I don't know. Autism for example is highly questionable as to whether or not it is caused by vaccines or just starts showing up in kids about the same time as you get your first round of shots.

However, a lot of the old diseases that we aren't used to seeing anymore also caused people to be injured or killed, too. And the same way that we point at people who suffer vaccine reactions today, they used to point at the people (or tombstones of people) who suffered violent cases of those old diseases back in the day before vaccines.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: Would there be more victims of the disease than victims of its vaccine? That's the risk v. reward assessment you have to make before any shot you get. And you also have to understand that the same way you CAN point at people who have been injured by a vaccine, you similarly CANNOT point at people who have been saved by the same vaccine because there is just no way to know. The best you can do is speculate.

I say this as someone married to a man whose life's work has been to make vaccines. He's had more vaccines in the course of his career than most of us here ever will because they're necessary for him to keep his job. He also makes the same risk/reward assessments for us, his family, we get a lot of the old vaccines, but we generally skip the flu shot every year.

edit on 23-1-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-1-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Oh well, now the kids have real immunity, just like us older people have.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'll take my chances without. It is cool your husband works on those things though, he is probably a very brilliant person.

Those that say I am a walking infection well say what you want your vaccinated so you should have nothing to worry about. (not directed towards you Ketsuko)

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

You take your risks. That's cool. The only criticism I might have to level at you is that you should be very careful around the very, very young. They don't have the option to be vaccinated or not yet, and if you should be contagious because you aren't vaccinated and are sick without knowing it, you might expose them to something their parents wouldn't want them to have. And the very youngest of us are also among the most vulnerable.

So just be aware of that as you go along.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I could be contagious with or without a vaccination anyways.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

I trust the many, many, many years of study into vaccines before the bull# sold by conspiracy theorists and sites like Natural News.

I respect your right to feel that way. For my part, I do NOT trust the many, many years of study anymore, simply because the studies initially indicated that vaccination against childhood disease provided the same immunity as actually coming down with the disease. Then the studies showed they 'wear off' and you have to get inoculated again! Now there are kids catching this stuff who are up-to-date on their shots.

Scientific "Truth" is always subject to change. Vaccines really haven't had enough of those 'many, many, many years of study' for scientists to make definitive statements about the true (long-term) consequences/impact of them on the populace, as well as the virus itself ("Life will find a way" comes to mind.)

Seems measles inoculation began in 1963... It was GREAT, until it wasn't. The disease spiked in 1971 & 1977, prompting them to increase the uptake. That worked, until it didn't. After an outbreak of 300,000 cases in 1990, the Booster was introduced.

It's been less than 25 years since the booster saved the day. Too soon to call it a win, in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Oh so you did not die from the measles!!! Shocking! We all had chicken pox, measles and mumps. But guess what? I was infected by the polio vaccine... I contracted it from the vaccine. The others are no concern. People die from the common cold. What I think is that the tainted vaccines they have been pushing in the schools were SHED at Disneyland by people who hit the park within 24 hours of inoculating their kiddos against getting the measles! Ironic. People are ignorant.

"Misunderstandings and neglect occasion more mischief in the world than even malice and wickedness. At all events, the two latter are of less frequent occurrence."

en.wikiquote.org...

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to ignorance

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It is my understanding that this thread is not about arguing for or against vaccinations, but rather to discuss the occurrence of measles tracked down to Disneyland and it's spread... right?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Omg people! This measles hysteria is ridiculous!! Have any children even died? Less than 200 infected among millions? My brother got measles when I was a kid, our neighbor got it? My cousin got it and his neighbor got it! Relax there are more serious childhood diseases like foot and mouth, anti microbial drug resistance but yeah let's focus mass attention on a benign once very common childhood disease. Give it a rest with this child like fear mongering!

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar
It is my understanding that this thread is not about arguing for or against vaccinations, but rather to discuss the occurrence of measles tracked down to Disneyland and it's spread... right?

Yes it was!

It sure took a left turn, didn't it..................

edit on 24-1-2015 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleClassWhiteBoy

What's so ridiculous about it? The once very common childhood disease (you mentioned) is back. This isn't a fear mongering thread. It's a point of conversation that there is a measles outbreak.

Actually, measles can have severe complications.

Measles can be a serious in all age groups. However, children younger than 5 years of age and adults older than 20 years of age are more likely to suffer from measles complications.

Severe Complications

Some people may suffer from severe complications, such as pneumonia (infection of the lungs) and encephalitis (swelling of the brain). They may need to be hospitalized and could die.
•As many as one out of every 20 children with measles gets pneumonia, the most common cause of death from measles in young children.
•About one child out of every 1,000 who get measles will develop encephalitis (swelling of the brain) that can lead to convulsions and can leave the child deaf or mentally retarded.
•For every 1,000 children who get measles, one or two will die from it.

Measles may cause pregnant woman to give birth prematurely, or have a low-birth-weight baby.

source

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

A Costco location in Gilroy, California is one of the latest sites exposed to the measles outbreak that began at Disneyland in mid-December. A measles-infected shopper visited the store while contagious, according to a Santa Clara County health official and NBC News Bay Area.

source

top topics

<< 1   >>

join