It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FactChecking Obama’s State of the Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
FactChecking Obama’s State of the Union

Summary President Barack Obama largely stuck to the facts in his State of the Union address, although he did cherry-pick data and exaggerate at times to put the best spin on his accomplishments.

Some highlights: Obama made the inflated claim that “more than half of manufacturing executives have said they’re actively looking to bring jobs back from China.” A survey showed most “expressed interest” in it, but are not “actively looking” at doing it. Obama exaggerated when he said the U.S. is “the only advanced country on Earth that doesn’t guarantee paid sick leave.” Canada and Japan also don’t mandate paid short-term sick leave, which is what Obama is seeking for the U.S.

The president boasted that the U.S. has gained 11 million private sector jobs in five years. Yes, but that ignores his first 13 months in office and a net loss of public sector jobs. Total employment growth during his time in office is about 6.4 million.

Obama also boasted that “more of our people are insured than ever before.” But that’s based on an administration analysis that compares the second quarter of 2014 to years past. We don’t have the full 2014 federal numbers yet.

Well here's the fact check of the speech last night. Mostly is as to be expected some of it is true some of it is exaggerated. If fact check were to use their usual rating system it looks like it would fall on mostly true.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

The "FACTS" that I got from the State of Union address were these 2 indisputable facts:

1) Obama will introduce all kinds of ideas that Congress won't act on or pass.
2) Congress will pass all kinds of Bills that Obama will Veto.

Fact Check that!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I would say that the link says he was telling the truth "but"
Looks more like he picked a nugget of truth and is spinning it to look better than it really is or was already trending before he was in office.

Here's an example.
Teen abortions are down, but didn't mention they have been dropping for decades.

This just proves you can make numbers say whatever you want them to. Politicians have been doing that for years. Nothing new or groundbreaking.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: buster2010

The "FACTS" that I got from the State of Union address were these 2 indisputable facts:

1) Obama will introduce all kinds of ideas that Congress won't act on or pass.
2) Congress will pass all kinds of Bills that Obama will Veto.

Fact Check that!

Doesn't get much more accurate than this. The next two years will be Congress trying to pass stuff they know Obama (by his own admission) will veto, and Obama discussing things that sound good only to certain voting blocks, but that he knows will not make it to the legislative table.

Personally, I think both will be doing most of their talking and discussing legislation in an attempt to garner votes for 2016. Honestly, though, I see the repubs with the most to gain if they make good decisions.

But they won't, because they can't. Neither party can.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Crap i thought i read fartchecking. Nvm later!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Here's a 'Fun Fact' about Obama's SOTU:

Woman Showcased by Obama in SOTU is a Former Democratic Campaign Staffer

The woman whose story of economic recovery was showcased by President Barack Obama in his State of the Union address is a former Democratic campaign staffer and has been used by Obama for political events in the past.

Rebekah Erler has been presented by the White House as a woman who was discovered by the president after she wrote to him last March about her economic hardships. She was showcased in the speech as proof that middle class Americans are coming forward to say that Obama’s policies are working.

Unmentioned in the White House bio of Erler is that she is a former Democratic campaign operative, working as a field organizer for Sen. Patty Murray (D., Wash.).

freebeacon.com...

Pity, Obama couldn't find a GENUINE success story to showcase.

new topics

top topics

join