It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lucky 22 accident in Honolulu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
There aren't many details about this one yet, as it just happened yesterday, but an F-22 from Elmendorf AFB in Alaska suffered a significant accident on landing in Honolulu. It was part of a routine deployment for the group. Upon landing at the Honolulu International Airport the left main brake overheated and caught fire, causing a failure of the landing gear on that side. The aircraft appears to have collapsed onto the weapons bay/intake on that side. It'll take at least 30 days for a depot team to inspect the aircraft, and a decision to be made as to whether the aircraft is fixable, and what will have to be done to do so.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Just out of idol curiosity, why would an F22 land at Honolulu International.

I always thought these things landed at military sir fields.

Have to say, nice looking fighter!

P

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Hickam doesn't have a runway of their own, so they have a deal with the State. They abut the airport, and as part if the agreement the base maintains the first 2,000 feet of runway.
edit on 1/15/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thank you for that pearl of knowledge.

Lol, you seem to have a lot of those!

Thanks mate.

P

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Hmm, my family is over there right now on a vacation. I told them to go over to the airfield and check out the 22's yesterday...(They're airshow fans...my fault,
).

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Loved Hickam during rimpac.

That said should be interesting to see what went wrong..

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I love the man made island at phik. That's cool how they did that. But one of the best departure routes I've ever flown too. Basically as soon as you hit like 200 feet you have to make a hard right to avoid waikiki beach and Diamondhead and stuff. It's alot of fun.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

We used to love when the B-1s would go. They'd make that turn, and stay in afterburner until safely past Honolulu.

Before the Reef Runway was built we had an old water burning -135A lose water on takeoff from 8L. They couldn't climb until almost Diamond Head. They were looking across the Ala Wait Canal, UP at buildings. The pucker factor was set to maximum.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
it would be kind of comical if the pilot hit the brakes "a little hard" intentionally just to get a few extra days on the island before returning to the frozen bitterness of alaska. talk about a quarter billion dollar oops if they scrap the jet. lmao

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

It wouldn't be the first time someone screwed up like that. Heh. Some time around 86 or 87, we had a flight of Marine A-4s coming out of Korea on a routine transfer. One of the pilots, when he landed in Korea, suffered a nose gear failure. He was afraid it would happen again in Honolulu, so he didn't even bother to put the gear down.

Luckily for him he had three externals on board, and slid it in on them. Very little damage to the aircraft itself, but all three tanks were sanded flat and had the piping ripped out of them.

top topics

join