It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typhoons in Vegas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
A group of RAF Typhoons arrived at Nellis AFB from Scotland, supported by A330 Voyager tankers. The 10 aircraft will be participating in Red Flag 15-1 starting on the 26th of this month, and testing out the latest upgrades to the aircraft. The P1Eb standard testing will include swing role operations, in which an individual aircraft will perform air to air and air to ground roles on the same mission.

The group will drop up to 20 Paveway IV bombs during the exercise. Each aircraft can carry six. The group is from 1 Squadron, and is currently flying with US pilots over the ranges, and familiarizing themselves with US procedures.

A squadron-strength detachment of Royal Air Force Eurofighter Typhoons has arrived at Nellis AFB in Nevada, ahead of their participation in a three-week Red Flag-series exercise to be conducted from late this month.

Ten Typhoons made the journey from RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland, with their deployment supported by Airbus A330 Voyager tanker/transports from the service’s 10 and 101 squadrons.

Pilots from its 1 Sqn will now begin detailed preparations for the exercise, “which includes familiarising themselves with local air traffic control procedures and flying with US Air Force units over the Nellis training range”, the RAF says.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

A group of RAF Typhoons arrived...

Wow, just wow...

Between this news flash and the fact 15 year Fixed mortgage rates went down, I'm just flabbergasted.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Some great pictures of them arriving at this link. Including some shots of them over the Grand Canyon.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

The Typhoon FGR4 cockpit pic rocks...

Imagine being behind the wheel on that one..?

No drug can compete.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Cool to see the pics of them over the grand canyon. I bet they enjoyed the view, probably more visually interesting than the UK topography for the most part. Hope they have a great time while here both in the air and while enjoying the customs and hospitality on the ground.

Any idea what aircraft they are probably going up against while participating? How you think they'll do?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

A group of RAF Typhoons arrived...

Wow, just wow...

Between this news flash and the fact 15 year Fixed mortgage rates went down, I'm just flabbergasted.

Soo? Are you being sarcastic?

Because that's how it came off.
In the future! Don't bother!

I look forward to these post..
Go scratch your you know what elsewhere..
And yet i have flagged and starred you before...
Why so grumpy?

And I do flag and star you more than you think..

This thread has been up a while..
You stepped in first.. it seemed jaded and attack'ish...

That was not like you at all...
Are you OK?!

I just learned I have cancer again....
Please state that's not your case!

edit on 15-1-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Some great pictures of them arriving at this link. Including some shots of them over the Grand Canyon.

I would give my left kidney to see that live...
Oh snap!
No really I have never seen a eurofighter in flight!
This bird is a wonder to me. And I have seen a lot ...
But not this bird..

Wish I would have gone home to Nevada to see this.

Perhaps AIRBOYD might get clips of this...

I'm sick so.. the more anyone can bring to the table...
Please do!..
Sorry if I offended anyone...
Time is not my friend... so if I came off bitter...
I sincerely apologise...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Hi Bigburgh. I have seen these planes at airshows over the last 2 years where I live. One awesome machine, and sounds superb on afterburner

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
USAF F-15C's of the 493rd from RAF LAKENHEATH left for RED FLAG yesterday a reply to: nelloh62

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ajsr71

Flightradar24 caught them leaving the UK.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ajsr71

sadly, lakenheath is not close to where I live, or I would be camped out there !!!!! Would have been great to see them

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Sad bugger that I am, I go on flightradar24 quite a lot. I have never seen military aircraft on it. I need to pay more attention.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Hi Bigburgh. One of the RAF's Typhoon bases, Coningsby, is about an hours drive from where I live so here are a few pictures for you from my own camera. If you are interested to know, you can identify which squadron is operating an RAF aircraft (in the main) by the colour flashes painted either side of the roundel. On the flight link that zap posted, for example, on the first image showing the Typhoons lined up, the red and white arrowhead denotes No 1 Sqn (the winged figure 1 on the fin is the squadron badge). Behind those two the yellow arrowhead on a black rectangle denotes an aircraft of No 11 Sqn and behind that the red and white horizontal bars mean that aircraft belongs to No 41 Sqn. Scrolling down to the lower picture the white triangle on black background shows that to be a 2 Sqn Typhoon, while next to it is a Tornado showing a variation where the bars flank the badge instead of the roundel on a 12 Sqn aircraft. I've always been a big fan of RAF squadron heraldry.

Anyway, the pics i hope you enjoy;

unmarked Typhoon (newly delivered) being chucked about

This aircraft was the focus of my attention that day, ZK308 is specially marked in WW2 style markings as carried by a Hawker Typhoon in 1944 to commemorate D-Day

And here's a salute from the front seat of one of 29 Sqn's trainer version, the Typhoon T.3, and a wish from me that things are as good for you as they can possibly be.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos

Link to a photo I took of 29(r) squadron display typhoon

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

Look for the call sign. The lead tanker is the one that will show up. The others don't. The KC-10 will show up as a DC-10, with a registration number that will show as something like, 80-0020, and a call sign like BUDDY21.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Not much of a stretch to say that there will be a lot of booms heard in Nevada.
At least, it will be from a known reason!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Excellent. Thanks Zaph

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Just a warning for you guys abroad !!! Not sure how true this is , but it is a link to a news article in the Daily Mail.
Collision avoidance not fitted to Typhoon, could smash into airliners

www.dailymail.co.uk... ief-warns.html

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

All over it.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Silly question but is there any chance these guys stopped off at Carswell yesterday? I saw a few planes going overhead that I couldn't quite identify but one interesting observation was what looked like small canards by the cockpit.

Just throwing this out there. Be gentle :-)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join