It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Kings the Stand will they finally do justice to it on Film,

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I know its already been filmed a tv movie I r c .
But It was red rotten I M O

Some of his books have transferred well into Films
The STAND was not one of them I M O given the complex nature of the book an amount of sub plots involved I considered it impossible to transfer to the big screen

Seems they may have solved this problem by turning it into A TRILOGY plus one a four parter.

Thease are Stephen King Books turned into Films I enjoyed .

Shining.
The Green Mile.
Carrie.
Pets Cemetry.
Misery.

Have not seen The Diary of Ellen Rimbaur so can not comment.

Stand by me Is mediocre

But all the rest includeing tv movies Like IT
The children of the corn franchise
An to many more like cujo ect to mention sucked I M O

What say you?

www.denofgeek.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
To do the book justice it would have to be at least a five movie series. Like the op said there is just way too many sub plots. Which book will they be doing the first release or the extended version? Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg they couldn't get anyone better?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I liked The Stand when it was a miniseries. We even watched it a couple years ago. Good way to pass some time. I can't see it being a movie. Knowing current Hollywood trends, they'll split it up into two or three films anyway.

I enjoyed The Mist, even the departure fun the Nobel at the end. Plus, Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were pretty good. Come to think of it, those all had Frank Darabount involved.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg they couldn't get anyone better?

I agree .

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Its going to be a four Film Franchise according to the linked article.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ecossiepossie

It is an excellent read and while I was entertained by the TV version it was not up to par. What I find disturbingly missing from your list is the "Shawshank Redemption", in my opinion the best adaptation ever, and from a short story. It is on the list of my all time favorite movies, and stupendous !

It will be a hard one to fit for film but perhaps it can be done, as I thought the Lord of the Rings trilogy was rather well done. I shall take a wait and see attitude but must say it will be a daunting task.
edit on 1/11/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

edit on 1/11/2015 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
I liked The Stand when it was a miniseries. We even watched it a couple years ago. Good way to pass some time. I can't see it being a movie. Knowing current Hollywood trends, they'll split it up into two or three films anyway.

I enjoyed The Mist, even the departure fun the Nobel at the end. Plus, Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile were pretty good. Come to think of it, those all had Frank Darabount involved.

It is no easy task translate King's books into a movie.
Darabont has done a better job than anyone else.
It is sad to watch a good King story reduced to crap as so often happens.
Kubrick made a good film, based on 'The Shining.'
I have caught wind that Darabont is involved in possibly bringing the 'Dark Tower/Gunslinger' series to film.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I watched the miniseries however there where just so many events and characters left out.

With the special effects available today C G I AN 4 Films to tell the entire story It could be epic .

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

It is no easy task translate King's books into a movie.
Darabont has done a better job than anyone else.
It is sad to watch a good King story reduced to crap as so often happens.
Kubrick made a good film, based on 'The Shining.'
I have caught wind that Darabont is involved in possibly bringing the 'Dark Tower/Gunslinger' series to film.
..............................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................
................................If you read the link it takes you to the den of geek and all that you mention is discussed

edit on 11-1-2015 by ecossiepossie because: grammar

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I've never really liked McConaughey, he just seems too immature as an actor, but lately, he seems to have given some thought to his roles and matured in his personality. Maybe he can pull off the part, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Looks like the studio just needed a big name to give the film some validity and maybe draw in some other big names.
Wonder who they'll get to play Mother Abigail?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The Stand was my favorite King novel. By far. But as outstanding as it was there was another novel which was very similar,Robert R. McCammon's "Swan Song", that I found superior. Not to take anything from the Stand, just bringing Swan Song up in case Stand fans do not know of it. But that opening chapter of The Stand, man oh man, those first few pages had me hooked for the book.

Another book that was never given justice by Hollywood was Dune. I waited and waited for Dune to come to the big screen. Finally it did and I jumped for it . Sitting there watching it it was so good, so exact, so following the book. Then about an hour and a half in I realized why it was so good. Basically they were still on the first chapter and did the rest of the book in like half an hour. What a lemon.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Wonder who they'll get to play Mother Abigail?

Just not Oprah or Whoopi. I'd like to see Johnny Depp give it a shot.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN
Shawshank Is one of my Favourate S King books.

Just not impressed with the Film .

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

My choice to play Mother Abigail

Nichelle Nichols

Uhra from Star Trek

www.shadowandact.com...

edit on 11-1-2015 by ecossiepossie because: MISTAKE IN GRAMMER

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Mel Gibson for Randell Flag

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I didn't even open up the article before my previous post. This one, I did. I'll have to come back to it later. Just browsing in my phone, and that's a lot to read on a tiny screen.

a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Lol at Johnny Depp.

In all seriousness, they'd probably cast Lupita Nyong'o, Viola Davis, or maybe even Kerry Washington. While not old enough, those women have been all the rage lately for casting it seems. They could do a lot with make up. If it were Oprah I wouldn't watch the film on principle alone.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I like Mathew McConaughey
Or Benidict Cumberbatch or Robert Downey Junior

All of the above could do the role justice I M H O

edit on 11-1-2015 by ecossiepossie because: SPELLING

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I could see MM as trashcan man

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The Shining.

Capturing the essence of what King envisioned without detracting from the book. Things that couldn't be translated to film, like the moving animal bushes (became a maze) and the fire at the end were left out. The character development in the film by Kubrick more than made up for it.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I could see MM as trashcan man

I could see Eminenn as trashcan man.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join