It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ched Evens footballer convicted rapist.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

I don't support sports.

Either way...what do you mean "He can sweep roads for a living"? Why if his field is sports?

I don't understand.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

I don't support sports.

Either way...what do you mean "He can sweep roads for a living"? Why if his field is sports?

I don't understand.

Well my field is computer programming, web design, music, driving and warehouse. Meaning I do what I have to do. Even if I have to learn a new skill. Thats life.
Just because he plays sports? I dont understand.
What happens to sports stars when they cannot play anymore? When they are past it? Or injured?
Do they just all stay unemployed for the rest of their lives because they cannot do anything but sport?

edit on 20151America/Chicago01pm1pmThu, 08 Jan 2015 16:03:59 -06000115 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Well your reasoning behind him not playing is because you believe that his punishment should be neverending and he should not be allowed to return to his field of work because of his crimes. Down that same vein how about just taking every rapist out of prison and placing them on a chain gang. That way there is no chance of them being in a field they enjoy or feel confident in.

If not there is no explaination why he cannot return to his field of work. He works with balls not boobs.
edit on 8-1-2015 by OrphanApology because: cellphone

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

originally posted by: robbeh

a reply to: robbeh

So would it be right to not give you a job due to being convicted of an offense?.
Should what you have done be around your neck forever?.
it depends on the job and what offence and how serious it was..
it know a few people that have had the same conviction as murder they turned there life around got jobs within the community but a rapist is a different kettle of fish in my personal opinion...

Okay I know a Murderer.
He has done his time and is paying for his crime internally every day.
When I found out I was very shocked but the guy is truly repentant and does great work for the community.
He works with ex offenders getting them on the right path.
Should we put this around his neck the rest of his life?.....I don't think so he does that himself.

You did time I don't know what for but would you accept whatever you did to hang around your neck for the rest of your life? stopping you gaining work?.

CX

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I don't follow footie, but I've been watching this on the news.

My unimportant opinion, I think that once you've done your time, yes you should be allowed to carry on your life, who knows, maybe you may turn things around for the better.

However, you also have to be prepared for the fact people may find your actions so sickening, no-one will want to touch you with a barge pole. Let that be a lesson for anyone backward enough to do this.

If Jimmy Saville were still alive, should we welcome him back on our screens with open arms?

Either way, it was said the other day that he couldn't be signed abroad because his sex offender status now limits him working abroad. Doesn't it also affect how much contact you can have with children, or how close you can be to them?

Plenty of kids at football grounds.

Reap what you sow if it was bad enough, that's what I think.

CX.
edit on 8/1/15 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

People can be rehabilitated.
I ask again would you want whatever you did to hang around your neck for the rest of your life or are you in the opinion once you have done the time?....
edit on 8-1-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Well your reasoning behind him not playing is because you believe that his punishment should be neverending and he should not be allowed to return to his field of work because of his crimes. Down that same vein how about just taking every rapist out of prison and placing them on a chain gang. That way there is no chance of them being in a field they enjoy or feel confident in.

If not there is no explaination why he cannot return to his field of work. He works with balls not boobs.

No, I dont believe his punishment should be never ending. Apart from the sex register part.
Whats wrong with putting rapists on the chain gang?
Rape is one of the worst crimes that can be committed, it deserves one of the harshest sentences.
There was a time not too long ago that rapists and murderers were the worst kind of criminal, the scum of the earth.
Since paedophiles became so prevalent, it seems rape has dropped down the severity scale a few notches.
Prosecuting rape is hard enough as it is, let alone giving rapists pathetic sentences. If hes guilty then 2 and a half years inside is a bloody joke. And as far I I last knew, to get early release you HAD to show remorse.
His first apology only came today, and only to get himself signed to Oldham.
He has no damned right to be a role model for the kids that will be cheering him on every weekend.
Like I said, let him sweep the streets.
It seems like its one rule for celebrities and eff everyone else.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I think it is well worth an exploration of this situation.

And so, to business. It is a necessary ideal, that once a person serves their time, they are free to engage with their lives once more, after being released from prison. Of course, one could argue, in this, and many other cases, that the time given is not equal to the crime committed, but that is by the by here I think.

The real crux of this issue however, is rather thornier than that. You see, there is a significant difference, I think you will agree, between a person being able to return to stacking shelves, or on an assembly line (which are nothing to be sniffed at in terms of employment of course), and being allowed to return to a job which by necessity involves glory, fame, and gaining the respect of young people. Football players are extremely well regarded by fans, and are considered role models, and that places clubs and players in a difficult position when it comes to matters such as these, because while Ched Evans has a right to return to gainful employment from a legal standpoint, I think it is unreasonable for him, or any other person who has or had such status and respect from such a large number of people, to expect to return to a role which would place him in line to receive glory by victory, and respect from fans.

The nature of the crime of which Mr Evans was convicted, makes him an unsuitable role model for young people, and therefore it could be argued that he is incapable of performing that element of the job role of a football player. No doubt there are morally defunct bastards in many football teams, as there are in any workforce, but when ones work places one in a role of responsibility toward young minds, one cannot expect to be convicted of a sexual offence, and pick up where one left off.

In short, if he wants a job, then he has every right to get one. But he has no right to expect to have THE SAME job as he had before, given the status which is attached to such a role.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

But many others have returned to the game.
Look at Graham rix convicted of having sex with a 15 year old...

It is a tricky situation on one hand I agree but on another I don't.
Maybe If signed half his wage should go to rape support charities or something.

I think that after the investigation ends and we find out If his conviction is overturned we can better judge what happens to him.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I agree. The sensible thing for him to have done, would have been to focus his attention and effort on getting the conviction overturned. If he is, as he claims, innocent of the crime of which he was convicted, then the situation is entirely different again, and he MUST be allowed to return to his previous role, either in his old club, or in a new one.

However, the cases you mentioned of other football players and sports stars who have been convicted of sexual offences and returned to work... That should not happen. Status roles are not suitable for those convicted of such offences.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

He has said he can not talk about the case due to the Criminal Cases Review Commission investigation which will be ready by autumn.
His lawyers have told him not to comment.

From the BBC.

Evans had been criticised for failing to apologise to his victim, but, in a statement issued via the Professional Footballers' Association, he said: "Upon legal advice, I was told not to discuss the events in question.

"This silence has been misinterpreted as arrogance and I would like to state that this could not be further from the truth.
"I do remain limited at present by what I can say due to the ongoing referral to the Criminal Cases Review Commission and whilst I continue to maintain my innocence, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned.

I think I will wait til the CCRC decides and then throw him under a bus.
But I don't think he should play for anyone until this review has concluded.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I think I will wait til the CCRC decides and then throw him under a bus.
But I don't think he should play for anyone until this review has concluded.

Exactly.

Thats fair.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
One thing to add I agree with petitions being signed from fans but I sure hope they get the people threatening staff's family members with rape and death threats.

Also If his conviction is overturned do you think fans will accept it or not?.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

No indeed, and I really think that until they do decide, he should not be even looking into getting a position with any team.

He should just receed into the background, be around his family, and look out for his support network, and then move forward after the review.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

People can be rehabilitated.
I ask again would you want whatever you did to hang around your neck for the rest of your life or are you in the opinion once you have done the time?....
what I done will be with me forever holding me back from jobs etc I regret what I done but I don't think rapists can be rehabilitated just my opinion though..

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
hes admant he is not guilty?if his appeal is succesful and court says they agree then where does that leave him and everyone that has vilified him since his release?

i,m guessing still in same position cause the hatered against him i don,t see a court now saying hes not guilty changing anything.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: sparky31

Then he could sue I suppose...but lets wait and see what the outcome is.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Prince Naseem Hamed convicted of drunk driving fleeing the scene of a hit an run an the victim died.
He was imprisoned .
An yet given back his boxing lincence when released,
Mike Tyson convicted of Rape an also allowed to box again.
Went on to retain his title .
Also went on to bite of half Evander Holyfeilds ear .
Lost his licence for a year but again allowed to carry on boxing.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

a reply to: sparky31

Then he could sue I suppose...but lets wait and see what the outcome is.
yeah he could but say his conviction is over turned his name is already branded.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

With regard to the issue of people making threats, I find the idea of following an act of barbarism on Mr Evans part toward his victim, with threatening barbarism against a teams staff, utterly outrageous, and it is probable that the people coming out with this drivel, are hardly moral paragons themselves in order to countenance such behaviour.

However, where the fans are concerned, football teams have a unique responsibility to their customer base, because football is about the spirit of the game, and the spirit of the team, which is created by the energy and dedication of the fan base. Therefore the fans have every right, in my opinion, to make representations to the team about the moral direction of the hiring process in cases like this.

I also supported Jessica Ennis Hills comments when it appeared that the club which used to employ Mr Evans might be about to allow him to come back to work there. She baldly stated that if he came back to work, the stand in their stadium which bore her name would have to be re-named, since she would not want her name associated with the club, if the club would continue to associate with Mr Evans.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join