It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ched Evens footballer convicted rapist.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Now anyone from the UK must have heard of this situation.
Ched Evens was a football player for Sheffield UTD and in 2011 he raped a girl and was convicted for it.
He has always said he is not guilty of rape and today he has appoligised for any harm his actions caused but still says he is not guilty.
His case is under investigation by the Criminal Cases Review Commission.
The lady in question was 2.5 times above the driving limit so the judge said she could not have given consent.

Ok now my question.

Today Oldham who were going to sign him pulled out because their staff have been given death threats and even staffs familys have been threatened with rape If they signed Evens.

The thing is should we continue to demonize him and say he can not work in his job because of what he has done? or should we let him continue playing because he has done his time.
It asks a broader question also of If a criminal has done his time should we wipe the slate clean or continue to use what they have done against them?.
I'm really in two minds about it all.
What do you think?.

More here.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

People lose all sorts of privileges when convicted of a sexual Attack...

Teachers, Doctors & why not footballers...

He will have to work with the female staff at certain teams...

He should be on the dole... Struggling to survive...

Even then, the dole should be a reward for those in need.

No doubt he'll write a book about his "persecution".

Dirty prick.
edit on 8-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I would not like him to sign for my club.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
But remember it is illegal to turn someone down from a job due to past convictions....this is why I'm in two minds about it all.
When do we wipe the slate clean or do we not?.

Oh and I wouldn't like it for him to come back to City...but that is my personal opinion and against what I would normally say about ex offenders getting jobs.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I find the witch hunt quite sickening.
He should be treated like anyone else in his situation and allowed to return to his profession , the media feeding frenzy that's been going on about this is driving me mad .

If he'd gone out with the intention of raping a girl then fine but the story as I see it is not that clear cut.

I wish him luck with his appeal.

edit on 8-1-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Then why do teachers & doctors not return to their profession...

There is nothing illegal about it.

He deserves no more than a menial job with below average pay.
edit on 8-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Kind of agree with charlie above. Teachers and doctors would not be allowed to return to their proffesion, so why should a guy, who plays football in front of impressionable youngsters be allowed to return to his career
edit on 8-1-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

He would still work with women in any job so that doesn't wash with me.
So is it only rapists who deserve life on the dole what about murderers? do they deserve to get on with their lives?.
It is a touchy subject...

Do we as a society continue to punish people even after they have done their time?.

Any guys in who has done time what do you think?.
edit on 8-1-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
IMO he is fighting his conviction and I personally don't believe he is guilty of rape. The woman in question went back to the hotel room voluntarily. What did she think she was going for, Afternoon Tea??

The judgement passed basically means any lad picking up a lass in a nightclub on a Friday night who's a bit tipsy, could be arrested the next day for rape when the lass is no longer wearing "Beer Goggles".

Below are the names of ten footballers that returned to their careers after prison including one for sexual assault. Why is Ched Being treated so differently?

Joey Barton - Assault
Tony Adams - Drink Driving
Lee Hughes - Dangerous Driving
Gary Croft - Driving Offence
Marlon King - Sexual Assault
Luke McCormick - Death by Dangerous Driving
Jan Molby - Dangerous Driving
Jermaine Pennant - Dangerous Driving
Micky Quinn - Driving Offence
Duncan Ferguson - Assault

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Teachers & doctors are probably the exception to the rule as their professions put them in a position of trust although if they were in a position with the same circumstances then perhaps not.

Evans was convicted on presumption that the girl in question couldn't have given consent not a premeditated rape , none of us nor the court know whether or not she did consent , only the people involved know , maybe the appeal will give a final answer on the case but in my view he has been demonised for having sex with a drunk woman in a hotel room who was there of her own free will.

I think rape is a heinous crime but am not convinced this is it.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: flammadraco

Also Graham Rix who was convicted of having sex with a 15 year old girl.
He was reinstated by Chelsea when he got out heck he was even their temp manager for a while.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Iv done time but the sickos in for those offences should be hanged Imo...

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: robbeh

So would it be right to not give you a job due to being convicted of an offense?.
Should what you have done be around your neck forever?.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This is a tough one. I see both sides of the argument. He committed a crime and he has served his sentence. I won't argue the details of the case.

Should he never be allowed to work again? He has a job where he is a role model to young people. I can see why people would have the attitude that he shouldn't sign for another football club. Having said that, shouldn't this extend to all crimes?

Boymonkey74 makes several good points. What is the point of someone being given a punishment if it doesn't end with the sentence. If that is the case, why should this only apply to rape? If footballers drink and drive, assault someone, are involved in domestic violence - shouldn't they also be excluded from working in a profession where they are role models to young people? Can you imagine how we would feel if there was someone in the public eye who committed an offence against a child, no matter what their profession/industry, we would call for their heads and demand their resignation. The waters are muddy especially around sexual offences.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I can see why people think he shouldn't play football. He has shown no remorse for his actions and even in his apology today he didn't go as far as saying what he did was wrong and that he realises why people would not necessarily want him playing for their club.

He insists he is innocent despite being convicted and I feel he needs to wait until his appeal is decided before he has the privilege of playing football and being remunerated for this.

In the meantime he should find alternative employment. Just because he's used to playing football doesn't mean he's incapable of doing labouring, refuse collection or even sweeping the streets.

His family were gaining support for his return to Sheffield United whilst he was still in prison, so should have expected some opposition. Instead they act as if he has a God given right to return to playing football and continue being a role model to lots of young people. His arrogance throughout all this really hasn't assisted his case and currently I can see no way back for him.

I am all for rehabilitation, but that includes recognising your mistakes and demonstrating true remorse for whatever crime you have committed. Whilst he insists he hasn't done anything wrong, then he cannot expect to ply his trade on the football field.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

So would it be right to not give you a job due to being convicted of an offense?.
it depends on the job and what offence and how serious it was..

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

This whole Ched Evans case strikes me as "off". It highlights the gender imbalance of our justice system.
Heres why..
A man and a woman can get so drunk that neither of them can actually "consent" but then a man can go to prison for the alcohol induced lack of judgement, but the female cannot be held responsible for her own lack of judgement or personal responsibility. Thats just stupid. No wonder he is appealing.
But as it stands, he was found guilty by a jury. As such he is a convicted rapist, until he can clear his name. He should never be able to work as a footballer again. And should remain on the sex offenders register for the rest of his life. Sounds harsh?
No, not if he IS a rapist. If he clears his name then yes.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If he served his time he served his time. In some cases certain fields should be off-limits after certain crimes. For instance, a child rapist entering the daycare industry.

But this guy is a footballer not a gynecologist. Let him return to work.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
If he served his time he served his time. In some cases certain fields should be off-limits after certain crimes. For instance, a child rapist entering the daycare industry.

But this guy is a footballer not a gynecologist. Let him return to work.

He hasnt served his time, he served half his sentence and has another half on licence yet to be served.
Would you cheer him if he was playing for your team?
No one is stopping him from working, he can sweep the roads for a living.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: robbeh

originally posted by: boymonkey74

it depends on the job and what offence and how serious it was..

Okay I know a Murderer.
He has done his time and is paying for his crime internally every day.
When I found out I was very shocked but the guy is truly repentant and does great work for the community.
He works with ex offenders getting them on the right path.
Should we put this around his neck the rest of his life?.....I don't think so he does that himself.

You did time I don't know what for but would you accept whatever you did to hang around your neck for the rest of your life? stopping you gaining work?.
edit on 8-1-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join