It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Syfy’s 12 Monkeys will mess with the lights in some viewers’ homes"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Syfy has announced that it’ll be giving certain viewers the option to let the network take control of their home’s lighting systems during broadcasts of its upcoming series 12 Monkeys. The new show—based on the 1995 Bruce Willis film, and set to debut on Jan. 16—will come with a “light track” that owners of Philips’ smartphone-interactive Hue lighting system will be able to use to view a custom light show, synced to the show’s content. (Presumably, warmer colors will be used during emotional scenes, while blues and greens will indicate that the viewer should feel a gradually growing unease at the power of corporations and networks to influence everything, down to the lighting in their very own homes.)

A.V. Club

Any ATSers have this lighting system? If you had it, would you allow this type of control? I am behind the times and had no idea anything like this had been invented lol!

I have to admit it sounds tempting, but I am skeptical of consenting to external control of my TV and lights.

I hope the show is good! I've been wanting to watch the original film for a while now, but haven't found anywhere to stream it. Maybe they will play it soon before the new series is released.

Happy New Year!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The very last sentence of your quote....

If that isn't the most ironic "F# You" in the history of television, I don't know what is.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

The 12 Monkeys film was great I thought!
I doubt syfy will do it justice even with their fancy lights gimmick..
The concept reminded me of the start of the old show called "the outer limits."

"We will control everything you see and hear."

Just wait till the government makes all this subtle psychological programming mandatory...oh hang on.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A cold day in hell before I allow a light bulb into my home that can report my daily activities through my internet connection back to a corporation/government.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Hey my friend. I sent you a couple of links in a private message (U2U) relating to this thread.

Twelve Monkeys is an excellent film. It will be ages before we will get to see the series here in the UK. Lucky you guys in the U.S.

Happy viewing.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I don't watch television programing (i.e. television with commercials) , but I have the lighting system.

Novel use of the environment. I will be interested to use this when it is available for download.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I hope the show is good! I've been wanting to watch the original film for a while now, but haven't found anywhere to stream it. Maybe they will play it soon before the new series is released.

Rent it from the video store for a dollar if you have to. You should definitely watch the original with Willis and Pitt before you see this remake, which I seriously doubt will stand up to the original.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder
A cold day in hell before I allow a light bulb into my home that can report my daily activities through my internet connection back to a corporation/government.

Good Lord,what you describe is almost like some kind of "smart meter"which is aware of every electrical activity in a home,and reports back to the mega corps for data crunching/selling and profit amongst more nefarious reasons.

Who could possibly come up with such an idea,and sell it to the public as something they really need?

Someone with our best interests at heart lets hope...

But no,it is not such persons at all.
It is quite the opposite in fact.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Thank You!! Got it and love it!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Ooo not heard of the series when is the first episode?.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

January 16th!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This actually sounds like an awesome idea.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Never got a chance to see the original either. Always heard it was good though. That and Idiocracy.

This is a pretty cool idea, but I wouldnt trust it personally. Sounds like theatres will be a thing of the past if they dont come up with a collective gimmick soon.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Just watched this(sans lights) and I'm in.

Liked the tricks with the watch.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Cool idea, makes me want to do a little arduino project using light sensors and audio sensors focused on my tv to control my surroundings.

12 Monkeys original movie was OK but I didn't think it was great, the show is ok but nothing great but its still early in the season.

I think this is the system it integrates with for the light effects.

edit on 34131America/ChicagoWed, 28 Jan 2015 10:34:29 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join