It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommended self defence for women videos?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You can't really learn self defense from videos. Just like you can't learn dancing from videos.

I would tell them to take a mixed martial arts class with a Gracie jiu-jitsu emphasis. This will allow them to practice with another person and understand weight, strength, and their own body in responding to someone bigger than you.

Also whoever said that in Texas there's no inequality because of gun rights must be cracking a joke.

Most sexual assaults on women are by men they know and trust. Same thing with physical assaults. While guns are great, they do not protect you when your guard is down around a trusted male figure in your life.

Also, you cannot carry guns everywhere. There are many places weapons are barred often. Such as many work sites, bars, college campuses, restaurants, and many retailers. Just to name a few.
edit on 6-1-2015 by OrphanApology because: cellphone

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

1. I AM untrained by martial art standards,I hold no belt. What I have learned has been mainly by cause and effect,and the philosophy I was taught.
2. Though I list one example, I have talked to other guys who told me beyond any doubt,they have taken in moments of adrenaline rush blows to the scrotum and kept fighting. Just because you can't take it doesn't mean others can't. Being female, I would NEVER teach another female to use that move. If it doesn't work,they are in some deep deep trouble. If they miss,they same. If they connect and the guy doesn't stop,he for sure is gonna make them pay dearly for it.I personally have witnessed in street fights guys kicking each other in the groin and it did not stop a thing.
3. If this is too hard for untrained people,than I have no idea why I found it so easy to do. I guess I'm just that bad eh? In reality,the moves I used are easy to do,and really only require you to think.

I never in my post said to try to punch someone in the throat with them behind you. That is stupid. However it is very easy to grab the little finger of someone's hand and twist the hand off your throat to get yourself free. A punch to the throat requires you facing your opponent.Again,you need to be thinking.For every defensive move you make,you should have an offensive one with it. I have no idea where you came up with the brain can't do offense and defense. I guess some Krav Maga person told you that. I have seen videos on Krav Maga and I really wasn't impressed. It did not look to me to be something a woman can quickly pick up to defend herself. That is key if you are in a bad area. You may not have a couple of years to invest in a fighting style and getting a belt.Not when your being attacked tonight.What a female needs is something she can learn very quickly to protect herself right away. If someone is so dumb that they can't see an obvious weakness in an attacker? Well guess what? You fail the gene pool test.

Movement misdirection is very simple to do if the attacker is charging you. You let them come. Running,you probably won't be able to run fast enough to get away without getting hurt. It does not take major training to learn how to do this.Now I will end my response on this by telling you what I witnessed on the streets. Every once in a while we would have some smart butt martial arts fool come into our neighborhood and try to play bad ass. This always ended badly for them. The last time I saw it happen a brown belt came in that I had known since I was 6 and he decided to pick a fight with an untrained street fighter in the 'hood. The street fighter had a concussion,but the brown belt was in the hospital for 3 months before the drs could release him.Then it took literally 3 more years of plastic surgery to put his face back together. I'll take the street fighting any day.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CX

When i was 13 to the age of 18 i took karate and my teacher was my cousin.
So to make money on the side I helped him teach womens self defense classes.
The first thing we taught them was to not yell for help if something happened but rather yell fire .
The reason being if u are getting raped and yell help and someone hears it they have to decide if they wanna get inolved or not. And you would be surprised at just how many people would keep walking.
But if you yell fire every one will run to come see the fire.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

You sure don't need to take what I said so personally--you're talking about your experiences, and that's all well and good, but for the majority of instances in life and the majority of people who are not trained in any type of defensive situation, some of your advice is flawed. I'm speaking in generalities, here, so you can state all matter if things you've seen, and I could refute those with things I've seen. Hell, I've read stories about LEOs firing directly through the heart of assailants coming at them, and due to the drug they were on (PCP in the specific instance), the assailant was still able to fight.

Do things like that happen? Absolutely. Is your average aggressor hopped up on PCP to the point that a bullet throught he heart will not stop them? Absolutely not. Same with the groin--your comments indicate an elevated level of adrenaline BECAUSE the people were already in a fight (or just plain nuts...no pun intended). Attackers of supposed helpless victims don't have that type of adrenaline, and normal hits, such as to the groin, will have the intended effect.

As for the brain comment--psychologists figure these things out, not "some Krav Maga person." You can disagree all you want, but that doesn't make you correct, just as you can hold an opinion about Krav Maga from some video you watched, but that doesn't mean your opinion is either valid nor correct. You watched a few videos...big deal. As we've mentioned to the OP, videos don't teach you anything or give you a real experience.

As for your discussion considering belts and experts, Krav, as you assume, has no belts, no ranking system (other than "levels" which teach you new things after you've learned the foundation of the previous levels). Belted fighting systems teach no one anything about real-life combat or fighting. Krav IS street fighting--it was started by Imi Lichtenfeld...well, here, you can do the reading if you want to be more educated on the defense system.

Is there always going to be a better fighter, even one not formally trained, than someone who is trained? Sure. I'm sure there's a guy on the street who could have beat the hell out of Tyson during his prime, but that doesn't mean it's the norm and should be used as the yardstick by which you measure everything. But for you to derail the OP's concerns for her daughter in order to imply that street fighting is the best method is ignorant, as it appears that her daughters did not grow up that way, and therefore don't have those skills, either.

What I offered the OP was exactly what she asked for--a recommendation to the best self-defense training, albeit with the advice to avoid videos. What you're doing now is nitpicking a form of self-defense martial arts that you seem sorely lacking in both training in and knowledge about. I've seen "street fighters" get their 'skills' handed to them with one punch from a skilled martial artist, leaving them lying on the floor, too. Again, your anecdotal stories are neat, but irrelevant to this entire thread.

Here, if you have 46 minutes and 36 seconds of your life to watch this, it's a start. Please note that the first dialogue on the video is from a female trainer: "No mercy! No rules in Krav Maga." Sound a bit like your beloved street fighting?

Best regards.

(ETA: The male Krav Master in this video, Ran Nakash, is the technical director for the association of Krav Maga in which I participate)

edit on 7-1-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

your comments indicate an elevated level of adrenaline BECAUSE the people were already in a fight (or just plain nuts...no pun intended).

Oh I'll bet you did intend that. I am willing to bet you were snickering while typing it! Lol

Alright alright. I'll get to the gist of your post here. Number 1,do understand that I am not taking this personally. What I am doing is the same thing you are. Trying to help this guy with some self defense that works for females.

Number 2,while you are looking at it from a male perspective on what will hurt a guy,I'm looking at it from a female one of what is and isn't possible for women.

Here is what I am thinking of when I give advice to women on fighting.

1. Though it has gotten a lot better,most women still recoil from full body contact sports. They don't want to get hurt.
2. Most women would be far rather spending time in a nail salon then getting sweaty and being thrown down for practice.
3.Most women would rather leave their self defense up to a man in their life.(Husband,brother,boyfriend,etc)
4.Most women with the first hit,scream in pain and forget about defense.

All these points are true,but they of course do not apply to ALL women.You will find those that do enjoy full contact fighting or at least learning it(I am a case in point),but you still have quite a few women out there that believe they couldn't fight if they had to as well.

My point here is it must be something very easy to do,and yes I have seen the video you posted,watched some time back.For every martial art out there,you have someone swearing its the best.There is NO ONE MARTIAL ART THAT WORKS FOR ALL. Men have upper body strength,women do not.Women generally have leg strength and men do not. There are exceptions in every case. Therefore there is no one that is a perfect fit for all. The op has female relatives that are currently going into dangerous areas off and on now. He needs something quick and easy to teach them. My father taught me that the mind is the most powerful weapon of all.They need to change their way of thinking to go into defense mode and learn something quickly that will work for them.

Krav Maga is a street fighting type,but there are moves in there that most women would not be able to pull off very easily without a bit a training first.If you like Krav Maga kudos to you.I'm sure you are getting what you want and need from it.But it is not right for everyone.My main concern with it is that it relys to heavily on taking attackers down with groin attacks. If you put yourself in the place of the criminal element,they are hopped up on adrenaline having plotted out an attack and now found a victim.You have to be knowing you have an impending attack coming up on another.

I totally agree with you on people hyped up on pcp being able to keep fighting,shooting or whatever.But I have read that police officers that have gotten in shoot outs saying out right,the only people that fall down immediately when shot are those that have watched too much TV.Even in gun fights where the person is not on drugs,people do not know or can't be bothered worrying about being shot during the shoot out. They worry about it after its over,then its too late for them.Years ago in Ferguson this happened. Gun shop owner got into a shoot out with a criminal,even though fatally shot the criminal was able to run several houses away and try to hide.Thats where the police found him dead.This is apparently not unusual according to police.

I don't want to drift this post too far off point,but I do have a question for you. How many times have you used Krav Maga to defend yourself on the street? I mean a full blown fight? Would you teach it to your mother,sister's,wife,kids and in one lesson feel confident they could defend themselves walking out the door? These are real things to think about when you are talking about training a female. She may not have any more lessons before its put to the test. Small females make perfect victims.They are typically what attackers look for.They need something that works right now.
edit on 7-1-2015 by Dimithae because: misspelled word

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

your comments indicate an elevated level of adrenaline BECAUSE the people were already in a fight (or just plain nuts...no pun intended).

Oh I'll bet you did intend that. I am willing to bet you were snickering while typing it! Lol

No snickering, but definitely a corner-mouth smile

I don't want to drift this post too far off point,but I do have a question for you. How many times have you used Krav Maga to defend yourself on the street? I mean a full blown fight? Would you teach it to your mother,sister's,wife,kids and in one lesson feel confident they could defend themselves walking out the door? These are real things to think about when you are talking about training a female. She may not have any more lessons before its put to the test. Small females make perfect victims.They are typically what attackers look for.They need something that works right now.

I have never had to use Krav Maga in a fight--I've never had to use anything in a fight because (a) I'm apparently a likeable enough person not to have to deal with people wanting to fight me, or (b...and probably more accurate) I've just been lucky enough to never have been in a situation that escalated that far, although I've come very close many times. But that's besides the point, as my instructor, a few assistant instructors, a couple students (and not to mention the entire Isreali Defense Force and much of the special-ops/special-force units in our own military use this system heavily for close-quarter combat training) have used it and it has worked out very well.

As for women, I'd say 35-40% of my Krav academy consists of women--at least the consistent attendies--to include the instructor's wife and two teenage daughters, and even one of the assistant instructors as well. Her name is Sandra, and I'm telling you what--I wouldn't want to have to fight her. I have already talked to my wife, and she plans on taking the courses, too, once our daughter is of age and emotional maturity to be away from us for a couple hours in the evening right before bed.

I think what you're failing to understand about Krav is that it doesn't teach moves that depend on size, strength or power (although power is eventually achieved through training and practice); Krav teaches defensive moves based on effectiveness of the location of a strike and the efficiency of the defense as a whole. All of the moves have a specific purpose and are threaded together to create a fluid motion from start to finish. Will they always work in every situation in every attack--of course not, but as you progress through the different levels, you are encouraged to discover what works best for you. If you want, you can replace hammer fists with elbows, or hooks, or replace a knee with an uppercut, or incorporate wrist or finger locks, or whatever. But obviously, that comes with training and learning to, as you mentioned before, observe the opponent and react to different scenarios as is necessary.

Anyhoo, we'll agree to disagree, apparently, on the effectiveness and realities of women effecitively training in and utilizin Krav in a real-world situation. But just keep in mind that this martial art is designed to give even the smallest, weakest victim the upper-hand in an attack. It won't always work, but if it doesn't, that's what a CCDW permit is for

Take care! Good discussion

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Take care! Good discussion

Thank you for taking the time to carry on with this discussion. Interesting no matter which side we both see.I'm glad you have never had to use Krav to defend yourself and I hope you never have to. Street fights are very very dangerous situations to be in, even trained for them. And as you know even a well trained fighter can be caught with a sucker punch,the most dangerous thing for anyone out there. If you don't know its coming there really is no defense against it. While knocked out there really is no way to defend yourself for the oncoming beating. Seen very good fighters taken out that way(though not often). I will agree to disagree as well and we shall leave it at that,and let others decide for themselves which would be best for them. Have a safe and peaceful journey through life.

edit on 8-1-2015 by Dimithae because: misspelled word

top topics

<< 1   >>

join