It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommended self defence for women videos?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this subject, but as it focuses on keeping you healthy.....or should I say in one piece...I thought it would be OK here.

I have one stepdaughter now living in another country, who has the potential to run in into danger now and again. I have another who busks late at night and whilst she does have safety measures, there is still an element if risk in the city. Add to that my own two teenage daughters, and I have people very precious to me who I would like to keep as safe as possible.

I can show them a fair bit as far as moves are concerned, and i do practise unarmed combat/self defence with them here at home, being an ex MP I have a few tools in the bag so to speak, however when they are not around it would be nice to send them straight forward no nonsense YouTube videos so they can practice with friends or just have the knowledge if needed.

There are tons of vids on this subject I know, but I wondered if you had any specific recommendations? Not after fancy high kicking ninja stuff, i 'm after realistic street self defence for women from teens upwards.

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

CX.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: CX

You shouldn't need a video if you were an MP.
Shoot them in the foot. Done and done.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

But most women aren't.

As a guy, I encourage my girlfriend to at least know some basics on how to defend herself.

To the OP: sorry no links

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz
I'm guessing you're not in Texas.
There is not much, if any, inequality between the sexes here.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

No, I am not in Texas.

But I just advocated the right for a woman to defend herself.

And your response was to ask if I was from a certain state!

I really don't get you

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

No, I am not in Texas.

But I just advocated the right for a woman to defend herself.

And your response was to ask if I was from a certain state!

I really don't get you

Settle down Pilgrim...I didn't mean to offend.
I'm just saying that, based on personal experience, you don't want any trouble with most of the women in these parts.
Most of them I know are packing heat.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Not trying to start any trouble, pilgrim.

Duly noted.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   

A well placed kick needn't be high and fancy especially if the first one hits the would be assailant in the 'family jewels' then as the attacker starts to bend from the pain, another kick to the forehead.

In a fight for Your Life, there are no rules. Just short of a concealed weapon (gun; i.e. WaltherPPK .380) I'd at least have them carry a "safety tool" (these are sold as a tool to carry if You need to break out of Your car) They are 4"-5" and fill Your fist. They have a metal tip that is supposed to be used to break the window. These are PERFECT to carry and fill Your fist. If the first 2 kicks haven't disabled the attacker a few 'punch and rakes' with this tool would do it..

If You teach them to gel anything make it "FIRE!!! FIRE!!" Because a 'bystander' gives a 'snip' if their stuff might burn, they don't if they have to be a witness..

CX

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   

If only :-)

In an ideal world I'd be there to happily deal with it for them, but obviously I can't. What you can and can't carry in the UK for self defence is pretty ridiculous, so an extra few skills could make a big difference.

As for the "videos for womens defence", yeah I appreciate it's pretty much the same all round whatever the sex, but there are some good ones out there that will be more watchable than others for women.

My two would probably listen to a woman teaching it before boring old dad. :-)

CX.

CX

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Cheers. :-)

Unfortunately Kubaton's are illegal here, but there are enough weird and wonderful key fobs that can substitute as one.

There are couple of sprays on the market, the red dye ones too if you have them handy to use.

To be honest, my own daughters here, I can physically show them all they'll need to know, apart from from palm strikes to the nose and kicks to the nuts, they can pretty much practise with full force on me. It's more for my step-daughters who I rarely see, and contact is pretty much by Facebook. A decent vid here and there would be good to watch

Like I said, I'm searching through YouTube too, but if anyone comes across anything that looks helpfull, that would be great.

CX.

edit on 6/1/15 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: CX

If only :-)

In an ideal world I'd be there to happily deal with it for them, but obviously I can't. What you can and can't carry in the UK for self defence is pretty ridiculous, so an extra few skills could make a big difference.

I apologise. You are living in the declawed U.K.
If you want to take a trip to Texas, I can provide room and board, and my teenage niece can show you how to break arms and legs. She is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I would not want to cross her hand to hand.

edit on 6-1-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

If You know the name "kubaton" Then You haven't any "deniability"

Bobby: What's this?
You/Your daughter: That is to be used in case of emergency, in case We crash into a lake and get trapped..
Bobby: These are illegal You know?
You: No, I didn't know that.
Bobby: Yes, these can be used as a weapon against would be attackers..
You: Oh..

You can also teach them to start screaming and flailing about, (act "Nutz") because nobody likes dealing with "Nutz"

Here is to You(rs) being the bestest equipped and NEVER having to use it/them/whatever You decide on..

CX

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Yep, declawed indeed.

Just have to be creative that's all. :-)

CX.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I would not recommend using videos to train. Especially when it comes to martial arts or self defence. Rather, i would recommend that they find self defence schools (e.g. Krav Maga or something similar) and train with an instructor. While it would cost money, it is the best way. They won't develop any adverse habits regarding techniques and the like.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

By far, the best self defense system I've come across is Krav Maga. I highly suggest that, if possible in your area, find a reputable school and begin training. But, like any self defense system, unless your daughters are trained directly from the licensed instructor, there is a relatively decent chance that they will get injured by not doing the defenses and attacks properly.

It can get expensive to have all of them attending a clase a few times a week, but if you find a good school, it's well worth it. The Krav school that I attend offers both a "sticks" class (eskrima/kali) and a combative jujitsu class for free if you're signed up for any one of the disciplines he teaches, so that's pretty awesome--and every martial art he teaches is taught only with self defense in mind, not point systems and tournaments. I kind of lucked out with him being within 8 minutes of driving from my house and work.

But back on track--whatever you take, just ensure that the instructor is well trained and not some hack. My Krav Maga instructor got certified directly by the International Association of Krav Maga in Isreal and is watched closely by the organization to ensure he adheres strictly to their training. Plus, the hour-long class consists 15-min body-weight workout, 15-min cardio (punching, kicking, kneeing, etc.), then 30 mins training on the actual techniques. It's good for building strength along with life-saving defensive skills (and defenses against guns and knives are part of the training, too).

Anyhoo, this was long-winded, but if you're looking for a defense system that gives the underdog the upper hand as efficiently and aggressively as possible, Krav Maga would be it (IMO). But just keep in mind--any training is better than none, granted it's taught by a reputable instructor.

ADDED: Also, don't underestimate the CCDW permit and proper training with a handgun--but one doesn't need a firearm to need a CCDW permit. In Kentucky, that allows me to carry swords, 'billy clubs,' shuriken (throwing stars), nunchaka, and, I'm sure, kubotans (amongst many other things).

Don't forget to gift them some mace or pepper spray, too.
edit on 6-1-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have a 14 year old that walks to school and I've taught her some dirty tricks. She carries a sharpened pencil, in her hand, while she's walking. I've told her to skip the body shots and go straight for the eyes, throat or groin. I am deadly serious about protecting my family. If they need training, videos are just not good enough. They need hands on training. There's nothing like feeling the impact on a human body to get the lesson to sink in.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Sounds like a great school.Glad to see the class is geared toward learning and not points and tournaments. If I'm in a fight, I'm in it to win, not score points. Wish I still lived in my home state, I'd like to sign up for the classes, if they were close.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

For Lord sake, DO NOT GO FOR THE GROIN. That is the worst thing you can do. My ex was one of those that if you nailed him there accidentally or on purpose,he would simply get really mad and go after you. My father taught me the 1,2 philosophy,which I in turn taught my boys. 1. cripple. 2. destroy. Sounds simple doesn't it? He was on pork chop hill during Korean war and was in hand to hand combat with the enemy. He was a former street fighter that ended up in Japan during his tour,he was being treated there and ended up going around Japan and talked to masters in Bushido at their dojos.They compared philosophies on fighting and then he came home. When I was 4 he decided I would never be very big,(he was right,I only made 5'2) but said I could and would defend myself if I needed too.

First,the cripple part. You look for ANY weakness on the enemy and strike out at it to try to cripple them up so they are unable to fight.If you don't have time to find it or don't see one,you make one. The weakest part of the human body is the throat,NOT the groin. You lash out at the throat and hit AS HARD AS YOU CAN. If you crush their throat,oh well you get to now run away. Thing is,women need to be taught you DON'T PLAY NICE. The attacker sure won't. You hit like your going through to the other side of their neck.

2.destroy part.Once down on the ground,if you are unsure if they will be able to pursue you are not,you now go into destroy mode. You proceed to kick and stomp as hard as you can,leaving them screaming and squirming trying to get away from you. You want them afraid,you want them to run. You want them to go away and crawl in a gutter to die. It sounds harsh,but you stand a better chance of surviving the encounter this way. Most attackers go after small women in the hopes of having very little fight with their victim,if the victim puts up a HUGE fight,this is exactly what they don't want. They then feel it is better to flee and victimize another day.

Also there are certain tricks that are helpful to learn in case they get blindsided yet are still conscious. If someone grabs your throat,easy way to get out of it is to grab their little finger of their hand and twist the hand off your throat,do this before you start to go unconscious or your outcome is nil. And being female,chances are that you will be smaller than your attacker, DO NOT try to put your weight up against theirs,bad move.They have size and weight on them to defeat you(plus a prior plan of attack that you don't),use that weight to your ADVANTAGE. If they run at you,misdirect their movement away from you to where you want them. Off balance and out of control of themselves. Wing Chun was a martial art that was developed by a small female monk for protection,it was used by Bruce Lee,you don't need to be very large to protect yourself. If you misdirect their motion,chances are that they will go down by their weight alone. A large object in motion tends to stay in motion.

Being small is not detrimental in a fight,you need to use your size to your advantage.Thats all fighting is about,your attacker is using their advantages and you have to use yours while using their weakness' against them. Being small you tend to be able to move quicker than a larger opponent (though don't always bank on this,Mike Tyson comes to mind here). You need to be a 'thinking' fighter. Be looking for that advantage,that mistake,that weakness. It will serve you well. I was born and raised in Ferguson Mo.and I NEVER fought anyone my size. I was only 5' at the time and there wasn't many people my size,those that were didn't fight. So my attackers were always larger than me. When I first started fighting, I lost a few fights which taught me well what to do and not to do.Those are the harsh lessons of life.After that I never lost another one. I got in fights often enough to practice fighting and keeping in top shape. WOMEN,this is for you. If for no other reason,keep yourself in shape. I don't mean so you look good in that slinky dress,but in case you end up attacked,your weight and out of shape muscles don't keep you from defending yourself.Very important,you never know when it will happen to you,attackers look for someone that can't fight.

Mainly girls,change your way of thinking. ALLS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR. Anyone that will attack you is not in love with you. Attack back like you mean to kill them! No being nice,no being fair,as we used to say on the streets,
"TAKE NO PRISONERS,SHOW NO MERCY".

I have watched these videos on self defense for women and cringed,9 times out of 10 they are made by some guy,or used some guys moves. You CAN NOT fight like a larger person if your not larger. Use what you have and work with it. It will feel more natural to you and will become second nature to you. I hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae
For Lord sake, DO NOT GO FOR THE GROIN. That is the worst thing you can do.

This, right here, is terrible advice. No matter your one-off example of it just making a person mad, it's still (most of the time) the best first thing you can do in order to start an offensive.

You talk about step one being to "cripple;" there's not much more that will cripple 99/100 men that a very hard kick to the nuts. In Krav Maga, this is the first move in a defense (in the basic level-one class) 9/10 times--the other 1/10th it's the second move.

Krav Maga was created by a man...we know what hurts us. But it's also adapted and evolved into a 'civilian' defense system that is absolutely perfect for those of us with a height/weight/strength disadvantage (I'm 2/3 of that...I'm only a 5'5" guy who doesn't weight a ton).

Nearly everything else in your response is unrealistic to an untrained person--looking for weaknesses in the attacker, striking at the throat (which often times is behind you as the attacker grabs you, or out of reach of a smaller victim due to height concerns), movement misdirection...these things are not advice, they're overwhelming to the untrained.

BUT, nearly everything you mention (other than the "advice" about the groin and throat) is taught in Krav Maga. Plus, there's always this fact about the brain: The brain is incapable of being both on the offensive and on the defensive. If you overwhelm your attacker with meaningful strikes until they're stomped into the ground and incapacitated, they will not be able to mount an offensive. This only comes with training, though, hence my (and your) advice to seek out a school and actually train. As you implied, a video will do nothing for anyone.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join