It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Jeb Bush becoming the GOP 'annointed one', what stand will he take on state marijuana laws?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
With the right-wing supporting cast of also-rans revving up their campaigns again, the GOP looks set to anoint Jeb Bush as their 2016 nominee. Bush was an influential voice in defeating 2014's medical marijuana law in Florida, but I can't find anything about what stand he would take on U.S. states like Colorado and Alaska, which have legalized marijuana in-state, or what stand he would take on state's which have enacted medical marijuana laws. Would he, if elected president, reverse the Obama position and direct his Justice Department to go into these states full-force to stop the marijuana trade? This could become an interesting primary discussion, and I'm wondering if anyone here has heard or read more than I have about his position on this state's rights issue. Thanks.
edit on 3-1-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

He'd have to pass legislation. Either way, it's going to be a campaign issue for sure, lots of states will have ballot initiatives during the primaries and during the general.

The most recent bill passed by congress stated the the Fed would not interfere with state's rights issues, specifically for Medical MJ and their recreational business as well.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I thought the new federal law just covered medical marijuana and not legalization of recreational/limited home growth? Am I wrong about that? Signed, Confused in Calcutta (semi-full disclosure: I'm not in Calcutta. At the moment....).

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Your post cracks me up.
You say right wing also-rans. Buuttt...
hillary is a left wing also-ran.. or am I wrong?
Sorry but that's funny..

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

As far as I understand it, they were staying out of it entirely.

Considering that most, if not all Medical Marijuana outlets in those states, are also selling recreational, there's no way the Fed could justify busting one but not the other.

They would need to have them re-write the rules and have two different industries. Which defeats the purpose entirely.

Source

~Tenth
edit on 1/3/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

By also-ran I mean that they will literally also run. In 2012 there were so many candidates with nearly the same right philosophy running, and never agreeing on one standard-bearer for their cause, that Romney threaded that hoop quite easily. Bush seems to be the establishments candidate, and there is always only one of those in each party. Crowding the field with people who want to see their names in the papers and faces on youtube (remember the pizza guy from 2012?) will more or less give Jeb Bush the nomination. Hillary, if she runs, will likely win the nomination, and will not be an also-ran candidate as she was in 2008.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I suppose the shadow elites are figuring a Bush in the hand is worth two in the pasture.

Another puppet Bush for them to play with. I bet they're laughing their heads off at you silly Americans.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I hope you're right. And it will be harder to 'crack down' on recreational if California and a couple or few other states pass legalization laws in 2016. On the other hand, if Bush is elected on promises to fight these laws as much as he can, he can issue executive orders and throw other roadblocks up. Anticipating that, I would think Obama will move marijuana off of Schedule 1 before long (within the next half year, to give the public time to get used to it before 2016), and hopefully will bypass Schedule 2 on the way. This would make it harder for a new president, of any party, to stop the progress of marijuana advocates who have been, and will be, active and organizing in individual states.

edit on 3-1-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

In reading your source it seems that the law is limited to state's which already, at the time of its signing, had medical marijuana. New states adding medical marijuana laws after that law was signed might not be covered, or, again, am I wrong about that? And it seems to also only cover medical - as you mention, some businesses have licenses to sell both medical and recreational, but not all of them have, or will have, both licenses. Could be a tricky primary question, especially if other GOP candidates add it to their campaigns as a major issue. If Rand Paul runs he may be the lone voice for leaving those state's completely to their own laws and enforcement, and the others would push Bush into a position where he might have to make some campaign promises against these laws in order to keep abreast of the group-think opposition of many of the other primary candidates.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Another BUSH? You know Bush and Obama should be the end for anyone voting for anyone they select. Vote for one of your own because otherwise you're responsible for the whole world's suffering. Drag one of your own kicknig and screaming into office and makes some changes so people can be fired within weeks if the people realize they don't like who they elected.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
The most recent bill passed by congress stated the the Fed would not interfere with state's rights issues, specifically for Medical MJ and their recreational business as well.

Unless you live in Washington DC where we pay state taxes but yet are told we aren't a state.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
He wont take a stand he will just blame obama and people are going to love it, hes going to run on how bad obamacare is, but wont repeal it once hes in the white house.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
His position on the matter is not entirely clear with the people ... or himself to be frank. He is a walking contradiction/hypocrisy on the issue for a few reasons.

Basically, he strongly opposes medical legalization in any state that does not already have such laws on the books; however, he would not likely seek enforcement of federal law in states that do already have such laws on the books as he believes it is indeed a State's rights issue and big government has no place in that matter. As far as recreational legalization goes, he would likely not allow it and probably attempt to reverse CO, WA, AK, OR laws through public wealth and welfare/interstate commerce means; however, I would stress if it looks like that stance may have a significant statistical negative impact on his vote tally he might budge some ... especially if he is called out repeatedly and aggressively on his daughter if and when he speaks about punishment.

Former Gov. Jeb Bush opposes Florida’s medical-marijuana initiative, but the potential GOP presidential candidate said he’s not sure if the federal government should enforce federal cannabis laws if the Sunshine State proposal passes.

Bush’s struggle with the state-federal split over medical marijuana reflects a broader struggle in the national Republican Party, where anti-drug hardliners are at odds with states-rights conservatives and libertarians over the issue.

Though a top Republican and frequent critic of President Obama, Bush refrained from repudiating the current White House’s position to de-emphasize enforcement of certain marijuana laws in the 20 states that have legalized medical cannabis, plus Washington D.C., and the two states that have completely legalized adult personal use of the drug, Colorado and Washington.

Asked Friday about the federal government’s role in prosecuting pot laws in medical-marijuana states, Bush said he’d have to give it more thought.

“In medical marijuana states? I don’t know. I’d have to sort that out,” Bush said. “I think that states ought to have a right to decide these things. I think the federal government’s role in our lives is way too-overreaching.”

“But having said that,” he continued, “if you’re in Colorado and you can purchase marijuana openly, should people in Wyoming not be concerned about that? And I think there, maybe, the federal law needs to be looked at — interstate commerce.”

Source: Miami Herald - 08/15/2014

Other comments he has made that indicate his stance:

Opposed treatment instead of jail for nonviolent drug users
Gov. Jeb Bush calls for jail time for nonviolent drug offenders as his daughter gets sent to rehab. I feel nothing but sympathy and concern for Noelle Bush--caught with crack coc aine at a drug rehab center. As a parent, I am in total agreement with Jeb Bush's insistence that his daughter's substance-abuse problem is "a private issue."

While Noelle has been given every break in the book--and then some--her father has made it harder for others in her position to get the help they need by cutting the budgets of drug treatment and drug court programs in his state. He has also actively opposed a proposed ballot initiative that would send an estimated 10,000 nonviolent drug offenders into treatment instead of jail.

Jeb's inconsistent attitude on the issue--treatment and privacy for his daughter, incarceration and public humiliation for everyone else--is part and parcel of the galling hypocrisy that infects America's insane drug war on every level.
Source: Arianna Huffington column on Salon.com, "War on Drugs" , Sep 16, 2002

Mandatory prison sentences for drug offenses
Create mandatory prison sentences for persons convicted of drug trafficking.
Mandatory minimum prison sentences of 3, 7, 15, 25 years, life or death will be imposed depending on the type and
amount of the controlled substance.
A minimum of three years will be mandated for any person convicted of possession, sale, importation, etc., of at least
25 pounds of cannabis, 4 grams of flunitrazepam, morphine, opium or heroin, 14 grams of amphetamine, 28 grams of
coc aine and phencyclidine, or 200 grams of methaqualone.
Penalties increase as the type and amount of the drugs increase or if use of the drug results in someone’s death.
Source: Governor’s web site, www.MyFlorida.com, “Initiatives” , Nov 7, 2001

Reduce drug use by 50% by prevention & enforcement
One of the most serious challenges our state faces is the scourge of drugs. This insidious problem will not be righted in a single day or even over the course of a year. Indeed, it will take a concerted and continuous effort.

[My Drug Control Strategy] reflects our will and determination to reverse the years of lost human, social, and economic potential wrought by the illegal drug trade and to bring down appreciably the numbers of our citizens caught in the grip of drug abuse My administration is determined to reduce drug use in Florida by 50%. This ambitious goal can only be achieved with the commitment of our efforts and resources on many fronts-in awareness, prevention, treatment, and law enforcement.

Most of all, it will take leadership to coordinate and direct a balanced approach to lowering both the demand for and the supply of drugs. This has been and remains one of my foremost priorities.
Source: Drug Control Strategy 1999; Introductory Letter , Jul 2, 1999

More federal funding for all aspects of Drug War.
Bush adopted the National Governors Association policy:
Drug Legalization
-The nation’s Governors believe illicit drug legalization is not a viable alternative, either as a philosophy or as a
practical reality.

Source: NGA policy HR-13: Combating and Controlling Substance Abuse 00-NGA2 on Aug 15, 2000

Source: ontheissues.org - updated: Dec 02, 2014

I would expect any candidate would be highly aware of public sentiment on the matter and adjust their positions to garnish more votes (this doesn't necessarily mean one opposed to recreational legalization would flip-flop, though possible, it would be more likely they would soften their stance). I also expect Cannabis legalization to be a minor issue unless a front runner makes it one of their main platform points or there is a larger then expected number of states that put the option on ballot. The issue is likely to be bigger in 2018 and especially 2020 as a result of where the trend is heading as well as possible reversals of current policy if the next administration takes those steps.

There are some issues the politicians listen to the people while most they do not. Interestingly, much like the care of the people,I find that it is almost always something trivial they will listen to us about and hardly ever the issues that truly matter (it would be nice for the trend to continue but if it doesn't or it is reversed, most people, with the exception of dealers, are more than likely to get on just fine).

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

He will legalize it to fund the world war that's coming. This is a master stroke. People will be so high, they won't care where the C130 lands. First to go and last to know will be real. I bet troops get a pound of bubblegum kush as a signing bonus to re-enlist.

Sorry, I have to laugh at the state of our nation. People don't take serious as serious anymore.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think many dont care who is running for president anymore, meaning it doesnt matter if your the president of an apthetic country that doesnt believe they are being represented anymore. George Carlin tells a tale of twisted words which come out as a political illusion. Its comedy but holds some truth in it for me.

edit on 3-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

The world was a better place with George in it. He said the things people just don't have the balls to say. He was very intelligent in how he delivered his comedy. He will be sorely missed.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

"With Jeb Bush becoming the GOP 'annointed one'"

I just...cant...understand it. Is this the will of the republican voters? Or do they just get to choose from two turds, which of them has a nicer coloration to it ?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Oh right...mary jane...

Let's not worry abot that now. With Obamas rep an Jeb being a republican frontrunner, whole lot of bigger problems await...

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I'm not sure who is annointing him or Christie, neither have my vote. I'm not sure how any candidate from either party will look at it. Many government jobs would be lost just by legalizing this one drug, along with prisons. The other point, how will businesses evaluate their drug testing policies?
edit on 1/3/2015 by mugger because: sp.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join