It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready: The FCC says it will vote on net neutrality in February

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
But in all Fairness The POWER Company did not sell you a package of "Unlimited" This was the first Re-Definition the ISP's as a whole pulled . Now they have that redefined to bring up their bottom line. When I was Building UPS's for the cable company's They were told the Laser could support X Amount of Nodes with X amount of people per node.. They chuckled and quadrupled those numbers from the get go Knowing full well it was unsustainable. Cable company's are the Slime of the Slime with kickback and graft the words of the "Craft" They have refused to follow the Feds mandate to provide Broadband to "Rural" areas even with grants and free money there for the taking. They are cherry picking the market and providing the least they can and running right out the back door with the money. Welcome to the Plutocracy. But remember someone will be there between 8 and never so be ready!

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I just had a little look into this as I'm in the UK so don't really understand what it's all about.

How come you guys pay so much for your broadband? I pay £5.95($9.50) a month for unlimited access at around 15meg speeds.

From what I see you pay a lot more in the states but surely once the infastructure is in place it's a cash cow?

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: RunjimRun
But in all Fairness The POWER Company did not sell you a package of "Unlimited" This was the first Re-Definition the ISP's as a whole pulled . . .

No, the power company sold me a service of so many AMPs. I can not exceed that amount of electricity use. It is controlled by a circuit breaker and is locked in a box I don't have access to. This is exactly the same as the ISP selling me 10, 20, 30 mb/s of internet access.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I just had a little look into this as I'm in the UK so don't really understand what it's all about.

How come you guys pay so much for your broadband? I pay £5.95($9.50) a month for unlimited access at around 15meg speeds.

From what I see you pay a lot more in the states but surely once the infastructure is in place it's a cash cow?

Why, yes, it is a cash cow. But it's never enough for corporations. How much money they bring in isn't what matters. What matter is if that amount is MORE than last month. Every month MUST BE MORE!

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Size is a big factor, so is the number of users.
The us has states bigger than the whole uk. Thats a lot of upgrades to infastructure.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
But do you not have cable tv networks and phone lines? Its not as if it costs more because the cables are longer?

These companys are not obliged to provide these services, if theres no money in it would they simply stop providing the service?

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
We all had a feeling that this was going to come up, soon. Obama wants to control how ISP work.
www.washingtonpost.com...

You've got it wrong.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: tkwasny

Un-elected govt workers passing laws is nowhere to be found in the Constitution. An agency or a panel in an agency is not the legislative branch where ONLY congress has the power to make law.

that's why i say not just politicians should have and face term limits, bureaucrats and agency heads should have to go through a job performance evaluation from a independent panel of every day citizens once every year.

just look at the IRS, EPA,FCC, just to name a few. i know a few people that each and everyone of these agencies have made their life hell and put them in prison.

edit on 2-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Un-elected govt workers passing laws is nowhere to be found in the Constitution

Except that whole part about the Executive branch.

But the real issue, from what I've read, is that the ISP's will slow down sites they don't like and give more bandwidth to big sites that are willing to pay them for it. So the internet will become like the media where a few evil corporations control all content.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr Cable providers/ ISP providers. They could then make more money.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: intrptr Cable providers/ ISP providers. They could then make more money.

Good point, thanks. The government also gains a little 'privacy' as it were. Only people with money are going to get all the information available. The rest of us will remain blissfully ignorant because we haven't paid for a higher tiered package.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join