It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Britain is facing ANOTHER demand from EU... for £34bn

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ispyed

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
The eu was a bad idea to begin with. Strong countries like yours will be obligated to prop up weak countries.

Its a good idea in principle. Transferring wealth to the poorer nations decreases poverty and increases security. We all feel safer. The whole idea of the EU is too prevent Europe having another civil war.

The UK has a problem grasping the importance of security in Europe because it was not invaded by Germany, so it can only look at the EU from a "what am I getting out of it" point of view. Rather than treating other member states as equal partners in a European Union.

Transferring money from the UK to Greece, did that help? transferring money from the UK to Poland, the Polish first payment went on American fighter jets, did that help the poor?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed

I thought the cigarette and alcohol tax would be an easier explanation as to show we are paying more in tax than the other EU nations.

While waiting for my "pick up" outside the local comprehensive I see

scholars lighting up whilst leaving the school premises ...Whilst I

don't agree with it, IF school kids can afford these 'high taxes' the

economy must not be as depressed as people think?

'Alcohol' doesn't appear to be a problem either. If you see the state

of the young people binge drinking around the towns and ending up

in A&E,perhaps the high tax on these items serve a purpose in

regulating the intake of both to a lesser level than if it were cheaper?

Double Wammy?

How about greatly reduced purchase tax on buying new vehicles. Why do you think people were going to Holland to buy new cars?

Well countries cannot be run on 'fresh air' and purchase tax on vehicles

doesn't seem to be a problem I have never seen so many new cars on

the road .... and on my way to the shops there are an increasing number

of homes 'hard driving' their front gardens to accommodate their (not one

or two cars) but three and four cars per household!!

Let me give you a better example. My brothers lived in Spain for a number of years and found out that the Spanish pensioners (other EU pensioners as well if they claimed residencia, ie. became permanent Spanish residents) have a weeks free holiday and 50% off all internal travel, example if they lived on the Canary Islands they had 50% off flights to mainland Spain. All paid for with EU money. Now why don't you get on to your MEP for THAT same privileged.

In the last 5 to 7 years My pensioner neighbours and a few of their

friends have sold up their Spanish properties and come back to the

UK to live and the reason given to me is the cost of living ( and they

did say the Spanish pensioners were not as well off as they were) and

the NHS was better here as their need for medical care was increasing

with their ages ..... straight from the horses mouth you could say??

Oh!... and many people I know who at one time brought in cigarettes

from abroad to resell at a profit no longer do so as there is apparently

little difference in the price now.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
New EU demand

According to the European Court of Auditors, David Cameron will be legally obliged to make up a share of the EU’s £259billion shortfall by the end of the decade. It means the Treasury will have to stump up around £33.7billion, calculated at the usual rate of Britain’s EU contributions

WTF?

A year ago I was pro EU.

I don't even care about immigration.

But over the last year I see more and more petty regulation, more fee, more bills and for what? I see F all in benefit.

The EU has become a joke.

Wait a second here... "The EU has become a joke." When was the EU not a joke and a bad one at that? You have a bunch of unelected assclowns making up rules that benefit themselves and their business and banking friends. That's not democracy, that's a corporatocracy. It's Fascism in it's purest sense as coined by Mussolini (it was his plan).

So the Fascisti are running the EU and that has always been the joke, on the member nations.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ispyed

Its a good idea in principle. Transferring wealth to the poorer nations decreases poverty

How will transferring money from hardworking successful countries to lazier people decrease poverty? By definition this is taking from effective economies and rewarding failures.

Like the cigarette tax used to dissuade smokers, a success tax will discourage people from working hard.

Surely this is likely to make us all poorer?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia
I think you aught to seriously look at the revenue the UK makes on cigarettes alone. Between 2012 to 2013 they made 12.3 BILLION pounds! That is not so trivial an answer as kids smoking at school gates, we're talking about serious money here. As for the pensioners returning from Spain, I can guarantee you the main reason they are returning to GB is to access the NHS. How do i know? Because my brother and his girlfriend(both over 68 and needing medical attention) have suddenly moved permanently back to GB.
As for the cost of living in Spain the Spanish have lobbied their MEPs to force their government to come into parity with the other EU residents (which is their right as EU citizens) and as the majority of Brits moved to cheaper Spain to live was before the Spanish found out about what they could get off the EU.
Now the Spanish are getting their just dues the ex pat population don't like it and are moving back yet they still get their other perks.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join