It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientist has created a warp drive in his garage and demonstrated it

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So I havent seen this posted, but I did find it on reddit. The scientist in question works for NASA and still teaches as a professor. In his spare time he's created a warp drive in his garage that does things that shouldn't be possible. He believes that warp bubbles appear naturally with electrical storms with huge currents and he sites a few instances we're all familiar with in the Bermuda triangle. Well anyways take a look because I find it very interesting and plausible from what I've read.

Edit: mods fixed my link, thanks very much. Please do read if you can it's very interesting. It's a free site.

Working toward a warp drive: In his garage lab, Omahan aims to bend fabric of space
edit on 29-12-2014 by SkepticOverlord because: Fixed link

edit on 29-12-2014 by NiZZiM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I'm not warping any money to the company to read that BS article.

Nice try.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Do they ask for money? I only clicked and got it free.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I'm definitely not trying to pull a fast one. I just saw it on reddit and reposted it. If they do charge then maybe find it on reddit like I did. I'm sure that the info is very curious and worth knowing. I'm sorry if I put a bad link up.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: NiZZiM

I'm sorry if I put a bad link up.

Its not bad, just wants me to subscribe to read it.

Thats bad.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Off topic but I am getting it for free so I don't see why you aren't?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Tons of news sites do that. My local paper is filled with popups for subscriptions and free read limits. Comments on that page seem to die Professor Pares to Jack Kasher. Some kind of UFO huckster?

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I'm reading it right now. It never required me to subscribe to anything...

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I was able to read the article (which was quite interesting by the way!), and not once was asked to subscribe to read it.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

You arrived some time after I did. He since changed the link.

Now everyone gets to overflow my box with, "whats your problem"?

edit on 29-12-2014 by intrptr because: reply

edit on 29-12-2014 by intrptr because: nvm

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
No problems either with the link.

Anyway big claims need big varification.

I hate to say this too, i really hate myself.

But if it s true (not likely) then I hope it gets classfied cause something like thats too dangrous for gennral human use.
edit on 29-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
From your link which was free for me:

He turns around and points to the back of his garage door, where a red laser — beamed at the weight and reflected back against the door to demonstrate the movement happening in the case — drifts from its original spot. Slowly, in incremental amounts, the weight is drawn toward the V-shape motor.

“You’re not supposed to be able to do this,” Pares says.

At just 100 watts of power, he claims an electrical field created by his arrays is ever so slightly condensing space in front of the motor, the way you’d squeeze coils on a Slinky.

Not many people have seen this. Some aren’t willing to look. Pares has submitted papers to journals and proposals to conventions. When he does get a response at all, he’s told his discovery is “premature.”

“It is so far out there, he’s not going to get funding to do it,” says Jack Kasher, a retired physics professor at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. “If it’s going to be done, it’s going to be done in his garage.”

Before he read Pares’ paper, Kasher thought the idea was “ridiculously impossible.”

Now he believes this 62-year-old adjunct instructor is on to something.

“A lot of people are going to flat-out dismiss it off the top, but I think he’s crossed some kind of bridge here,” Kasher says. “Just showing this is possible with reasonable energy. It wouldn’t surprise me if NASA latches on to this.”

It would be great if this pans out to actually work, No?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

The former professor Kasher says he wouldn't be surprised if Nasa shows interest in it. I wouldn't be surprised if they buy it out or if there's an odd fire in the guy's shed.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

No

If it was true and you could cobble one together in you garage.......well in the wrong hands it could cause a lot of problems.

There are some dumb crazy #s in this world that I dont want near a AK-47 let alone a device that could make a dooms dsy weapon.

We needto eradicate the crazy first before humans are ready fo this.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Always wondered if the key to FTL maybe so simple, that we actually are over looking it.

A Forest/Tree thing.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

The former professor Kasher says he wouldn't be surprised if Nasa shows interest in it. I wouldn't be surprised if they buy it out or if there's an odd fire in the guy's shed.

Seeing as scientists predict a warp bubble could accidently destroy entire solar systems if you come out of one wrong I think the defence implications would garentee this aint going public if true.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
Always wondered if the key to FTL maybe so simple, that we actually are over looking it.

The concept of "warp drives" isn't exactly FTL travel, though the results relative to the observer, in effect, is faster than light.

The idea was covered in the recent Cosmos series with Neil deGrasse Tyson, and I did some research on bent-space generators years ago for a speculative fiction short story. It's more about altering an objects position in space, than it is propulsion.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
It's cool and all but i'm still waiting for my solar paint, affordable solar panels, 100 mpg "affordable, practical" car, hydrogen power, flying cars, etc, etc.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I get that. Just like Hyperdrive isn't really making something go FTL, it's slipping it into a different universe/dimension where short distances there equate to large distances here.

However, to the average Joe on the street: FTL means anything that will get you to another star in a reasonable amount of time.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It is a intresting theroy on certain aviation anomalys.

Foo fighters and certain navigation errors have never been explained really.

Id imagine many planes like a airbus would be ripped apart and never found by such a event.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join