It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa loses hundreds of electronic device each month 1.1millon dollars for 2014

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Houston, we have a problem...even in the midst of a budget crunch, NASA has been issuing smartphones, tablets, and Air Cards (which provide roaming access to the Internet from mobile computers) without keeping track of who has them or even if they are being used at all. Both federal employees and contractors have received devices, under the guise of allowing to the “access [Agency] networks from anywhere at any time.” Over 2,000 devices – 14 percent of the total owned by the agency– went unused for at least 7 months from 2013-2014, found a report by the NASA Inspector General. The estimated cost of the unused and lost devices is at least $97,000 every month. On top of that, “NASA does not have a complete and accurate inventory of Agency- issued smartphones, tablets, cell phones, and Air Cards.” Top officials were even not sure the agency’s contractor – HP – “could accurately account for the full inventory of mobile devices it provides to the Agency.” With NASA in the dark about what it should be paying for, it has no way to verify the accuracy of its payments to HP. Cell phones are not the only equipment NASA has had trouble keeping track of in recent years. On the agency’s list of hard- to-track items seem to be laptops, video tapes, and moon rocks. The bit about the moon rocks being missing is old news. However, If they can not track these electronic devises how can they possibly handle a trillion dollar budget for 2015?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The loss and destruction not to mention illegal use of government property is less of a NASA problem and more of a human one.....it seems most employees of government have a sloppy sense of what is theirs and what is ours......

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Is that the unwritten perk? "Join Nasa, get your free gizmos."

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling I worry about those devices getting into the wrong hands, say some sort of spy or saboteur. Maybe the Chinese, or Russians want to update their equipment.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
... and these are the guys that will send people to other planets....

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: stirling I worry about those devices getting into the wrong hands, say some sort of spy or saboteur. Maybe the Chinese, or Russians want to update their equipment.

I though China is making Nasa's stuff… no?

Link

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It's probably "use it or lose it" -type things with the budget, systemic stupidity.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63 how can they possibly handle a trillion dollar budget for 2015?

they aren't getting a trillion dollar budget, their getting a 2% raise, really not that big of a difference,

NASA’s 2015 budget actually saw an increase of 2% over 2014 levels, which is even more than the agency asked for. That means more space science is getting done next year. Under the new budget, NASA would receive a total of $18 billion. That’s $364 million more than last year. NASA requested $500 million less than that,
www.geek.com...
edit on 12/21/14 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I am the only one that noticed OP didn't link their source?
Everyone is instantly on the bandwagon?
Wow.....what has happened to my ATS? (don't answer that, I already know)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye Sorry for the mistake in the budget amount I mentioned. I apologize for the inaccurate amount. Thank you for finding my error.

new topics

top topics

join