It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dune Books.....I Am Not Enjoying The First Book

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock
Im a huge sci fi and fantasy fan. I have read about everything there is and what I havent it is on my reading list. I have been putting off reading Dune because I have been told that it is the best sci fi book out there. I was kind of afraid that after I read it there would be nothing left for awhile but I ran out of books...so I'm reading Dune and I just don't get it...Does it pick up somewhere? It is boring so far and just not that interesting to me. Anyone out there who has read them please motivate me to continue or just tell me its not my cup of tea. Im unsure of what page im on but id wager im through atleast 50 to 100 and its been a bore fest so far.

Yes, I had to re-read the first few pages over and over again, then with a moderate understanding of characters (is character understanding important? yes) I persevered and it paid off. It is worth the effort, but I suggest you re-read the first few pages again to gain clarification and understanding of where the author wants to go with this...it will all be revealed later.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Big sci fi fan and reader as well-and couldn't get into Dune.

The movie didn't work for me,either.

(Try the Heechee Saga,btw.)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Yes its a

I cant choose a favourite Ian Banks novel Transition certainly up there .
Stange but true. WHIT..

WHIT Is up there with Wasp Factory and Crow Road the Bridge .
But to term them as Novels as oposed to his S F books is not a true description ,
The subject Matter and tottaly of the wall SCENARIO / PLOTS included in his NOVELS Is Novel to say the least.
And yet he shares the gift along with American Authour John Irvine,,Hotel New Hampshire,,World According to Garp ect.

Of makeing the absurd acceptable the unlikely beleiveable and the miraculous almost mundane.

Back to Whit and the Strange But TRUE ...

It Is to me a strange coincidese

To those whom have not read WHIT.

That Is the Name of the central Character .
Whit to those that beleive Is there saviour /second first and third comeing the messiah and all of that.
Bacically She Is the Leader through Prophesy and birthright of a Cult .

Despite this She I s a well grounded and delightfull young girl and wonderfull human being.
This CULT She leads Is small but powerfull due to some prominent and wealthy benifactors past present and no doubt future,
Her youth and status make her a personalty without the confines of the Cult although the time is pre social net work pre inter net I R C
She does become popular at firs locally an nationally by M S M an Press of the time.

Remeber this novells set about thirty years ago and I had not thought about it for a long time .

Central Character Cult Leader Known As Whit full Name ISIS WHIT....

Horific event s In the Middle East sprang the book back into my memory just coinsidece but the Initials ISIS or combinations of the letters I and S are all over the place forinstace International Space Station ISI

2oo1 THE I M S and thease robber Baron High Stake Gambling Bankers Devised a new Monetery investment system to push on suckers/clients /investors to grab there money isis investment scheme.
Alleged blue chip high return ect
www.isisfs.com...

Same initials again I S

an thats just a couple spring to mind .

Sorry gone way of Subject but I agree Ian Menzies Banks brilliant writer ...

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I couldn't get into Dune either, but for some reason always felt that was mars, worms and all.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Never seen the movie…ive debated watching it now instead to see if it gets me pumped up

Don't its tripe compared to the book.

Frank Herbert wrote the book after his experiences in WWI in the deserts of the Middle East. His book is directly based on his experiences. The spice is opium, the Fremen, Jihadists, the warring factions for control of the spice (opium) the super powers. Good read if you allow it to develop.

He develops all the characters before jumping to Dune, Arrakis (Iraq), desert planet. Not one drop of rain, sand worms, etc, etc.

"He who controls the spice controls the universe". -- Baron Harkonen

If you like books I guarantee you will come away at the end with satisfaction. Be patient. Settle in a warm dry place and see it through.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Thank you all deeply for the replies...id reply to you all individually but it would be like 10 posts

i think ill give it 50 more pages and if it doesnt work ill try the movie to see if it inspires me...if not I guess ill move onto something else...

The last sci fi book I read was Old Man's War which was absolutely wonderful...5/5 for sure...and in fantasy it was the Lies of Lock Lamora....all 3 books and that was equally a 5/5....its gonna be tough for any book to compare with those two!

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Earthsea was written and published first. All fantasy is is products of Tolkien and LeGuin. Don't get me wrong--I disliked the third Earthsea book. But yeah--I'm saying it's a bit of a rip off. Doesn't matter the environment--the plotline sounds rather similar. Especially to the second book of Earthsea with those things draining water. Sounds like the nameless ones.

And yeah, hero dude (the 'one') lol saves planet that is ruled over by bad things = Ged the main character of the Earthsea books. Or the protagonists of LoTR. But at least in LeGuin's books he not only faces evil outside himself--but within himself as well. A theme that I find that I quite enjoy. Of course the Dune is a different book--not saying it's the same. Just saying that LeGuin did it better--and first. Tolkien did it best, though.

The characters of Dune--like Enders Game--seem to act merely as agents of the plot. The characterization, although present and seemingly detailed--still feels a bit shallow. Putting a messiah-like weight on this main character's shoulders seems a bit far-fetched. Consider Rand al'Thor from the Wheel of Time--he reacts very realistically to the realization that he is the Dragon Reborn.

Also the writing style of Dune isn't to my liking. A bit too dry--not as dry as Tolstoy of course but still dry for sci fi. It seems to take itself a bit too seriously which takes the joy out of the fantasy aspect. I once had to read Dune for a book club, and I just couldn't do it. I give books a chance, but I don't have the patience to read something that I'm going to feel disappointed by.

But yes, going back to what I was saying, it is a rip off--because everything in science fiction and fantasy is a rip off, essentially, from Tolkien and LeGuin. I thought that everyone knew that.

edit on 5-12-2014 by rukia because: (no reason given)

I too have heard that the Lies of Lock Lamora was a great book--thanks for reminding me of that title! I'd been meaning to take a look at that one for a while now!

edit on 5-12-2014 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

It takes a while to aculturate to a completely new world. The details are important and Frank Herbert throws a lot at you right off the bat. It does take attentive reading but is well worth it. It's one of the very best books and series that I've ever read.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
To each their own...
I loved Dune-Children of Dune, after that, it just got silly.

I personally can't read Asimov. I like the premises and the concepts, just not the delivery. Different strokes for different folks.

Not Asimov - Frank Herbert.

Are you, perhaps, thinking of the "Foundation" books?

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ecossiepossie

I was not impressed either although more than one person told me it was must read S F..
After watching the I M O unwatchable film Dune with Sting and coffee guy from Twin Peaks I decided to give the book a try.
At least the first part and was totaly under whelmed.

Its a case of each to there own and the world would be boreing if all our likes and diss likes were the same.

Try Weave World by James Herbert Fabtasy as opposed to S F but still a fantastical book and I am amazed Its never be dramatised for T V would make a great series .
I also like the River world Books by P J Farmer although I know people that find them as bad as I found Dune .
River World was adapted for T V but was I M O un watchable and bore only fleeting resemblances to the books.

Try the SciFi (I refuse to say SyFy) channels mini-series, it's much truer to the books.

www.imdb.com...

This is not a book for ADHD - stream of conscouisness readers.
edit on 6-12-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Don't know why everyone keeps mentioning Asimov, Dune was written by Frank Herbert. Maybe this is why these people don't like the book, they can't read...

Dune is a complex story of politics, religion and interwoven agendas and how these things are used to control an empire and a people. It isn't about 'the one' taking on the evil empire as mentioned earlier, although the main guy uses the legend of 'the one' to raise an army against an empire.

I would recommend that if you are going to watch a live action version then choose the Syfy channel version. It may seem badly acted and a little cheap around the edges but it is far, faaaaaaar superior to the 80s David Lynch version. I don't know what Lynch was thinking there.... Saved only by Patrick Stewart and the guy playing Harkonen.

Two quotes that explain the book

'He who controls the spice controls the universe!'

'Plans within plans...'

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I always mean to read the Dune series and kinda always forget when i'm at a bookshop.

Favourite Sci-fi novel I've read is possibly Iain M Banks' "Look to Windward" which completely blew me away, partly because of it's overall lack of the big set pieces, it's tenderness and it's non-human protagonists. It's almost more soap opera than space opera in places, and wonderfully out-there.

I hope I remember to give Dune a go though, but I have serious form when it comes to forgetting stuff and doing something else instead.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

I heart China Mieville, Kraken completely cracked me up, and The Bas-Lag novels are some of the best "Fantasy" (ish) that I have ever read, though Steampunk may be a better description.
ETA: Chaos Nazis and magically tricked out Star Trek Phasers ftw

edit on 6-12-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: cArLoSCuBsTaR

I think you misunderstood the convo....he was saying he liked Herbert but didn't like Asimov while I was saying I always enjoyed Asimov. So need to make fun of everyone when you were the one that couldn't read

And thx for the syfy addition...I had no idea that existed and looks a heck of a lot better than the movies. I'll start there.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

But yes, going back to what I was saying, it is a rip off--because everything in science fiction and fantasy is a rip off, essentially, from Tolkien and LeGuin. I thought that everyone knew that.

I'm sorry, but your contention is patently absurd and unsupportable. Try contending that in a literature class. In fact, it's so absurd that the only possible explanation is that you are joking. Dune was first published in 1965, Earhsea in 1968. That alone is enough to torpedo your idea. Dune has NOTHING to do with Earthsea.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Yurps, perhaps a reading list is in order.

Rukia, you mentioned your enthusiasm for Mieville. He writes fantasy (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council), and you will not be able to convincingly argue that it is derivative of Tolkien or LeGuin. You will be unable to likewise re Sci-Fi and Tolkien or Leguin, that's just silly.

I assume that you are aware of Tolkien's influences, some of which scream very loudly indeed. Try read the Kalevala for example, there is a thread on this story in my sig.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Always amazes me how few have read Radix, one of the few books I've read that was a literal life changing, spiritual experience.
Yes, a recommendations/reading list is a good idea.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Try and stick with it. I read Dune when it first came out and was enthralled with the story line. OK a bit slow to start but it gets better. Do not, do not go see the film as there is an awful lot cut out from the books, especially when Paul is on Arrakis, about how he gains his powers. saying that I liked the film but was expecting things that didn't happen. So I went back to re-read the books but only got the single book version. Do not get that as it cuts more out than the film. Read the three books, the other books after are only add ons and are not so enthralling.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: cArLoSCuBsTaR

Two quotes that explain the book

'He who controls the spice controls the universe!'

'Plans within plans...'

The "Gom Jabbar" humanity test of the Bene Gesserite (sp?) explains the book, in my opinion. And that, I beleive is in the first 100 pages.

posted on Dec, 6 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: judoka
Always amazes me how few have read Radix, one of the few books I've read that was a literal life changing, spiritual experience.
Yes, a recommendations/reading list is a good idea.

Try "Stranger in a Strange Land" for life changing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join