It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fury: a review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
www.imdb.com...

April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and his five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Out-numbered, out-gunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

--------------------------

first, dont let the cast list of brad pitt and shia le whatever and pitts name war daddy deter you from this movie.
bottom line, its awesome....the action scenes are spectacular. some crazy # happens(like in every war movie) but its from the perspective of a tank crew so its a fresh idea of sorts.
its a very hard look at the war...again, all war movies are hard looks but this has a different feel.
i think it captures the times, the attitudes, and the depths of what men can do to one another very well.

also, for the most part it is pretty damn historically accurate.
of course there is movie magic...this or that happens and it more than likely wouldnt happen in real life, but thats expected.

the battle scenes amazing...there are several...the last battle is like nothing i have ever scene.

several times through this movie i felt myself getting a little bunged up thinking how it must of been for all the people in that war...that does not happen to me too often as i am usually just into the 'movie'...this movie really makes you think about what they went through.

a cool factoid: this movie features the only fully functioning tiger tank in the world. the tiger 131

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the review. I plan on seeing this movie soon.
As a kid, I was nearly obsessed with the planes and tanks of WW II.
My dad fought at Iwo Jima. His younger brothers were in the European Theatre.

Here's a trailer:

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

its bad ass man

while it does show the terrible things people do to each other, it also shows the sacrifices they make for each other.
there are some very powerful scenes....

shia leblah does a great job too.
not a huge fan of his...he is ok..was decent enough in lawless but he is pretty damn good in this.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
i saw it last night. Great movie. I like how the traser rounds kinda made it look like star wars at times, lol

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
i saw it last night. Great movie. I like how the traser rounds kinda made it look like star wars at times, lol

i was thinking the same thing though.
im glad it was filmed that way though...
the audience was able to get a better idea of how many rounds were actually flying around and how many directions they were going...it was cool

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I just watched the movie last night. It blew me away; definitely one of the best war movies I've had the pleasure of viewing in a long time.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I also watched it last night and really have mixed feelings about the movie. The action, and even the acting spanned the range from "good" to "superb" at times. The special effects did their job perfectly - that is to say you cannot tell there are special effects ( unless you're one of those people who spend their lives dedicated to spotting them - at which point pffft to you for ruining the magic for yourself! ).

But the script... While I am well aware that the script was compiled from interviews with actual WW2 tankers ( people who served in tanks ) - the script left me not caring much for the main character, a young man thrust into combat against his will and forced to endure a "right of manhood". He just never clicked for me. His metamorphasis and journey were too contrived and predictable. There are many aspects of this movie that feel like they were shoved in just to include tales that researchers had dug up - including several scenes that don't fit at all, leaving the viewer to uncomfortably come out of the film and back to reality for a bit.

Wardaddy, Brad Pitts character falls apart at times as one can tell that "he" is an amalgom of more than one person. He goes from admirable to despicable, and back again, several times during the film - never allowing us to really get a feel for who he is. In the long run this character does bring a view to a point of emotional involvement and caring - but it comes so late that we're left feeling empty because that bond is so fleeting.

The fact that Shane, from The Walking Deads first few seasons also has a starring role is a plus - though he plays a fairly one dimensional redneck stereotype.

As the OP pointed out, one of the surprises is that Shia Labeof does a better than expected job in this film. The OP mentioned another great film Labeof was in called "Lawless". The characters he plays, in both films, are strikingly similar and maybe that sort of Southern character is where poor Shia will find his wheelhouse in future projects.

End Thoughts:

If you love action or war movies? This is a winner, without doubt.

If you prefer well told stories and well developed characters - you might want to sit this one out.

If you're a special effect freak? Watch it.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Great review Heff!

Wardaddy's character didn't work for me although there were glimpses of the soul inside. The words he spoke to the young boy at the end of end of the movie - all of a sudden for me the character just beamed through. Of course after you see the first half hour of the movie you see why Wardaddy is so mentally spent and so hardened and focused on what he has to do. His utter weariness just soaked into me.

And the young boy - loved how the whole story came full circle. I love movies that leave me with thoughts after the movie and this one surprised me at how it suddenly just hit and I realized what I was seeing. It's left me dwelling on the two characters involved - referring to the boy's scene towards the end.

The special effects were great especially the laser show - totally agree.

I thought Shia did very well. But call me crazy I always like his work.

All in all for me it was just another war movie but even so I say to the women to give it a chance (I'm not a huge Brad Pitt fan but for me I liked his work better than usual in this film.). The poor boy just has you aching for him but he impresses with his growth. I think any guy would enjoy it without question.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Wardaddy, Brad Pitts character falls apart at times as one can tell that "he" is an amalgom of more than one person. He goes from admirable to despicable, and back again, several times during the film - never allowing us to really get a feel for who he is. In the long run this character does bring a view to a point of emotional involvement and caring - but it comes so late that we're left feeling empty because that bond is so fleeting.

i agree it was not an award winning script but it did the job.
as far as war daddy, i think the way he played the character and the way the character was written got the point across.
he was very much hardened...fighting in africa, france, germany...no telling how many of his friends/brothers he has seen die.
ive never been in combat and i know i can never understand, but as a viewer i got it.
he seemed like a real dick at times but i understood why.
like what he made norman do....
norman was green and 'soft' for lack of a better term. in that situation, being soft risks not only normans life, but the whole crew.
so i get why war daddy wanted norman to get that 'out of the way'....faster its out of the way the faster he can come to terms with the reality of the situation.

had they not been at war, maybe war daddy could have taken time to 'nurture' him in a softer way. i dont think time permitted...

i think without a doubt he cared about his men...
i think over all he was a good person, he was just war torn.

remember him telling norman he had not seen him eat and to make sure he gets some food?
telling him if he didnt take the girl in the room he would...
the way he said it came of as he is a dick but like he told the cousin, theyre young and alive.....might as well enjoy something...
he was not down there taking advantage like the rest of the crew. he didnt make a pass at the cousin.
he gave them food to make.
he took the girls eggs when his buddy licked it.

at the end before the big scene, he told his crew to make for the hills...
even telling norman not to do what he wanted to...'they will hurt you bad and then they will kill you bad'

i think he always had his crews well being in mind....

and to shia, yeah, he was awesome.
he did not do any crazy, fantastic action # but his emotions....the look on his face. the way he was looking through that scope....

and gordo....damn!
when the grenade came in the tank.....

top topics

join