It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ridley Scott Addresses 'Exodus' Casting Controversy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats
I like all the ppl downplaying the casting choices as "who cares" and "doesn't matter" and that ppl shouldn't complain about them. . . they're part of the problem.

i agree. in the interest of historical accuracy, we should fire Zach Snyder and hire someone who isnt under the impression that perry white is black and jimmy olsen a woman. and while we are at it, ban that piece of trash "gi jane" because we all know that women arent suitable rolemodels for aspiring men of the military.

edit on 28-11-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: igor_ats
I like all the ppl downplaying the casting choices as "who cares" and "doesn't matter" and that ppl shouldn't complain about them. . . they're part of the problem.

In what way? Because we don't invest our lives in two hours of film that in reality means zero?

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: igor_ats

Explain? If we're watching a movie about Genghis Khan, I could care less if he's portrayed by a Mongolian, or a Malaysian,so long as the depictions of actions he took in his campaigns are accurate. Hell, he could be visually portrayed as Genghis the Pink Polka-dotted Nightmare, and it wouldn't make much difference to me so long as the accounts are accurate.

People are so hung up on race that we're never going to get past it. Any alien culture passing by us in space is apt to look at us arguing over skin color in the talkie stories and think "The hell? They're all the same race..."

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

To me... its not about 'race', its about opportunity.

If I go to a Casting which has been outed as 'looking for a man with tan skin capable of playing Ramesis' and I turn up, give my best performance only to be told that the Backers want a 'well known caucasion' for the role.... well I'm not going to be too happy.
edit on CSTFri, 28 Nov 2014 14:43:36 -0600u3002x036x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Which brings us back to what has been pointed out previously -- TIITM is not going to get anywhere near the amount of attention from movie goers as Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise or < insert other big names here > If I'm making a movie and don't want to do so only to end up in debt from it (or worse -- bankrupt) then I'm going to play my cards as efficiently as possible and cast who's going to rake it in rather than risk a multi-million dollar flop.

Entertainment capitalism sure sucks, huh?

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Entertainment capitalism sure sucks, huh?

Star.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
Some good points there. But y chromosome E is now thought to be a back migration to Africa and did not originate there. And the Berbers whose language is related to Ancient Egyptian are generally thought of as white and green eyed. I am not taking a stance one way or other but I find it interesting. DNA testing is showing that people moved about in those days in surprising ways. But I agree credit should be given where credit is due.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: grumpy64
a reply to: Spider879
Some good points there. But y chromosome E is now thought to be a back migration to Africa and did not originate there. And the Berbers whose language is related to Ancient Egyptian are generally thought of as white and green eyed. I am not taking a stance one way or other but I find it interesting. DNA testing is showing that people moved about in those days in surprising ways. But I agree credit should be given where credit is due.

I respectfully disagree E did not back migrate into Africa if it did it would mean virtually all Africans were incoming migrants which would be absurd, I'll try not to go too deep into the bio-anthropological origin of the ancient Egypt given that this is a fictional/fantasy account of Egyptian civilization,I would like to leave rm for artistic licences meaning I do not mind if some of the main characters were white but virtually all of them?? in any case the genetic evidence matches up perfectly with the linguistic evidence.

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: igor_ats

Explain? If we're watching a movie about Genghis Khan, I could care less if he's portrayed by a Mongolian, or a Malaysian,so long as the depictions of actions he took in his campaigns are accurate. Hell, he could be visually portrayed as Genghis the Pink Polka-dotted Nightmare, and it wouldn't make much difference to me so long as the accounts are accurate.

People are so hung up on race that we're never going to get past it. Any alien culture passing by us in space is apt to look at us arguing over skin color in the talkie stories and think "The hell? They're all the same race..."

You might be kool with that and yes John Wayne did play Genghiz Khan Texas drawl and all which was funny but that was in the 50ts not much was in the way of casting Asians even in their own cultural sphere but not more than two yrs ago Asian Americans were up in arms about the last Air Bender an anime which was an Asian theme was noticeably devoid of Asians in main caste,so if I am to believe that the backers of movies is right about white audience not supporting any movie that doesn't have a white majority caste and that nothing really changed since the 50ts and 60ts, I love movies especially S.F and sword and sandals type flicks,I have yet to stay away from a good flick because there wasn't any black folks in it so I would have missed LOTR and many others but the money men are saying that white folks would not return the favor of seeing a good or great movie if the main characters were black or non white even though the story line was set in their own culture say it isn't so.
edit on 28-11-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a couple things come to mine.
1 thing being theyre acting..as in pretending to be something or someone they are not...

so there is that

and the 2nd thing

if theyre gonna have a white person play a non white person, then it has to be c thomas howell or no one

^^soul man

and edit before someone posts it

edit on 28-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a couple things come to mine.
1 thing being theyre acting..as in pretending to be something or someone they are not...

so there is that

and the 2nd thing

if theyre gonna have a white person play a non white person, then it has to be c thomas howell or no one

^^soul man

and edit before someone posts it

I'd go with Iron man he got the part down pat, and was very very believable maybe make-up technology was not as advanced as it is today unlike in Soul man dayz.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

If the audience were blind... it wouldn't matter who was playing the Roles!

Or... if this was a Story being read on Radio... no one would ever know (If the Actors weren't named).

Anyway, I see your point about 'Money' but sometimes the Storyline is more important. I reckon 'Ridley Scott' didn't like making the Movie the way he has... I'm betting even the backers will be having a laugh.

posted on Nov, 29 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Another thing in realm of mythology turned big blockster movies the Blacks characters were dropped all together ,take the movie Troy and the other knock-off for instance where was Memnon and I am not talking about Agamemnon the Greek king but Memmon the Ethiopian that came to Troy's rescue with 10,000 troops when all seemed lost, who slay's Nestor's son Antilochus he was a great warrior the equal in skill to Achilles who end up killing him in a one to one because he didn't know about that weak heal thingy,
Another was Clash Of The Titans Andromeda and her people were meant to be Ethiopians In ancient Greek mythology, Poseidon sent the sea monster Cetus aka the Kraken down to terrorize the African coast after the Queen of Ethiopia favorably compared her own beauty to that of Poseidon's sea-nymphs. After the Ethiopian King consulted an oracle for help, he was instructed to sacrifice his beautiful daughter Andromeda to Cetus. Fortunately for the Ethiopians, the demigod Perseus slew Cetus rescued Andromeda, and married her. in the movie nope everybody white not that both movies weren't enjoyable which I watched repeatedly but I guess the point of the story is unlike the ancient Greek and other writers who had no problems filling their dramas with Black characters modern script writers and movie makers continuously failed at this,remember Priam of Troy was the Uncle of Memnon which would make them members of the same family??..yikes them Greeks.
edit on 29-11-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join