It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oldboy (2003)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
in my opinion this is one of the greatest movies of all time.
based off a graphic novel/comic....my wife has it but i never read it..
anyway, this movie is friggin crazy man....

foreign film lover or not, i suggest you give it a watch....

the acting is fab. cinematography is great..the action sequences are perfect...this movie just nails all aspects of film making i think

www.imdb.com...

An average man is kidnapped and imprisoned in a shabby cell for 15 years without explanation. He then is released, equipped with money, a cellphone and expensive clothes. As he strives to explain his imprisonment and get his revenge, Oh Dae-Su soon finds out that his kidnapper has a greater plan for him and is set onto a path of pain and suffering in an attempt to uncover the motive of his mysterious tormentor
------------------

trailer for it

------------------

here is the full movie

------------------

someone is likely to mention it so i will. spike lee remade this last year..josh brolin as the main character.

it was a pretty good remake but if youre going to watch please watch the original version...at least watch it first.
like i said, one of the best movies ever made i think.

the twist is crazy man...not going to spoil it

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

That movie is messed up(twist caught me off guard) but made well.

Just recently my girlfriend and I went on an Korean horror/thriller binge. I had saw that one awhile back but we watched it again. It is a good movie.

You might also enjoy "I Saw The Devil".

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I agree, it`s one of my favorites too.

It starts out really weird and with the first part you have something like WTF am I watching, but you have to bite through it and get sucked into it, and in the end it will erupt into one big final..just awesome.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

yeah...killer flick...the twist is out there..

i have not seen the one you mentioned...
i have not seen many korean films.....i like foreign films though....

i am a huge fan of takashi miike....

he has some crazy flicks too....

visitor q
www.imdb.com...

A father, who is a failed former television reporter tries to mount a documentary about violence and sex among youths. He proceeds to have sex with his daughter who is now a prostitute and films his son being humiliated and hit by classmates. "Q", a perfect stranger somehow gets involved and enter the bizzare family who's son beats his mom, who in turn is also a prostitute and a heroin addict...

audition
www.imdb.com...

In Tokyo, Shigeharu Aoyama is a widower that grieves the loss of his wife and raises his son Shigehiko Aoyama alone. Seven years later, the teenage Shigehiko asks why his middle-aged father does not remarry and Shigeharu meets his friend Yasuhisa Yoshikawa, who is a film producer, and tells his intention. However, Shigeharu has difficulties to approach to available women to date and Yasuhisa decide to organize a sham audition for casting the lead actress for the fake movie. They receive several portfolios of candidates and Shigeharu becomes obsessed by the gorgeous Asami Yamazaki. Despite the advice of the experienced Yasuhisa, Shigeharu calls Asami to date and he falls for her. But who is the mysterious Asami?

ichi the killer
www.imdb.com...

When a Yakuza boss named Anjo disappears with 300 million yen, his chief henchman, a sadomasochistic man named Kakihara, and the rest of his mob goons go looking for him. After capturing and torturing a rival Yakuza member looking for answers, they soon realize they have the wrong man and begin looking for the man named Jijii who tipped them off in the first place. Soon enough Kakihara and his men encounter Ichi, a psychotic, sexually-repressed young man with amazing martial arts abilities and blades that come out of his shoes. One by one Ichi takes out members of the Yakuza and all the while Kakihara intensifies his pursuit of Ichi and Ichi's controller Jijii. What will happen as the final showdown happens between the tortured and ultra-violent Ichi and the pain-craving Kakihara?

imprint
www.imdb.com...

In the Nineteenth Century, in Japan, the American journalist Christopher is traveling through the country searching Komomo, the missing love of his life that he had abandoned years ago promising to come back to her later. He arrives in a shadowy island inhabited by whores and caftans, where he has an encounter with a deformed prostitute that tells that his beloved Komomo had passed away. He drinks sake with her and later he asks the woman to tell the story of her life. The prostitute discloses a dark and cruel story about her life and the sad fate of Komomo

fudoh
www.imdb.com...

In order to settle a business dispute, a mob leader murders one of his own teenage sons. The surviving son vows to avenge his brother's death, and organizes his own gang of teenage killers to destroy his father's organization.

this is not takashi miike but its awesome..

battle royale
www.imdb.com...

Forty-two students, three days, one deserted Island: welcome to Battle Royale. A group of ninth-grade students from a Japanese high school have been forced by legislation to compete in a Battle Royale. The students are each given a bag with a randomly selected weapon and a few rations of food and water and sent off to kill each other in a no-holds-barred (with a few minor rules) game to the death, which means that the students have three days to kill each other until one survives--or they all die. The movie focuses on a few of the students and how they cope. Some decide to play the game like the psychotic Kiriyama or the sexual Mitsuko, while others like the heroes of the movie--Shuya, Noriko, and Kawada--are trying to find a way to get off the Island without violence. However, as the numbers dwell down lower and lower on an hourly basis, is there any way for Shuya and his classmates to survive?

--------------------------------

a lot of people think the hunger games series is a straight rip of battle royale....
i am one of them

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I think "Hunger Games" totally ripped off Battle Royale. The difference though is "Battle Royale" is more of a satire of high school life while "Hunger Games" tries to be more serious. The argument could also be made that both films/stories are ripping off "The Most Dangerous Game".

I have seen "Audition" and "Ichi"...will have to check out the others.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The remake by Hollywood was not as good as the Korean.

There are so many great Korean movies that we never see because of people not wanting subtitles but they are truly missing great cinema because of that.

Try this one:

en.wikipedia.org...

AND:

en.wikipedia.org...

Peace

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

i just read the description of the most dangerous game.

does not sound the same at all....

there are other movies with that same human hunting humans plot, but battle royale and hunger games is not one of them...
just my opinion

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

there are loads of great foreign films that people never watch cause they cant handle the sub titles

pans labyrinth
www.imdb.com...

amelie
www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Well for the story there are similarities in my opinion, plus while there have been quite a few films...the story came out in the 20's.

One example would be one of the characters climbs a tree after having a head start. Also being chased by hounds is another thing that my opinion Hunger Games ripped off. To me I see some similarities, the plots aren't exact but it's little details that to me are very similar.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

lol, Pan's Labyrinth... accidentally took my kids to that when they were five and six, cause it looked so cool.

First, I didn't realize it's in Spanish which they didn't understand, and they couldn't read yet so they kept yapping and asking us what was going on. I asked them if they wanted to slip out and see another movie instead but they didn't so because the theatre was fairly empty we tried to explain what the story to them... and then comes along the creepy monster with his eyes in his hands and a torture scene. We left. The kids, now teens, say they still remember it as horrific.

Bad mom!

posted on Nov, 23 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Isn't it strange that many in this maggot heap of world, are actually experiencing something similar to what the main character in the Oldboy experienced?

The key thing when is to NOT to react in the way THEY want you to. You can tell what they want, when "they" being to try to steer you in another direction, you can discern their motives, and if you try hard enough, you can even find out who is behind this.

top topics

join