It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boyhood (2014) A Must See Masterpiece!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread titled 'How long should a movie be' but I believe this one deserves it's own thread since the movie itself is vastly underrated and I would like for it to get the attention it deserves.

It's about the life of a young man, Mason, from age 5 to age 18. The movie was shot over a period of 12 years using the same characters. It is truly a masterpiece.

I especially love how the Director got creative with it near the end by giving the audience a different perspective on life in order to shatter the illusion most people believe in. This could potentially wake up a lot of people. I was just a little disappointment I was already awake and knew the point he was getting at, of which I'm sure many of you will feel the same way about. That's all I'm going to say since I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so enjoy.

You won't regret it.

IMDb
edit on 16-11-2014 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
So how long is the movie? Sounds interesting.

ETA oh sorry i should've checked the link before posting. 165 mins. Not too bad really.

What a wild thing to do! I wonder what life would be like for this young man after being used to being filmed all the time, almost like his life has been a big Truman Show experiment. Hope he will be ok. But I would love to learn more aboht this project. Thank you for sharing!
edit on 11/16/2014 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

ETA Ok after some more investigating, i found out the movie was shot over 45 seperate days during the 14 year period, so he was not being "filmed constantly". But after 14 years being involved in something, it seems it would feel good to be done with it and be able to show it to the world, but at the same time you might miss it alot, and want to continue it in some way shape or form. An interesting set of circumstances.

And the great ethan hawke is in it! Sorry i really liked the film rendition of Great Expectations with Hawke. So now that means I like almost all movies with him.
edit on 11/16/2014 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Yeah it's a really great movie. Just to clarify , it's not about the boys life in general compared to The Truman Show. They shot the movie roughly 4 days a year. It is truly a remarkable unique movie. In fact, it is so good that it is one of the 11 movies that have received a metascore of 100 which is the highest possible score that can be obtain from professional movie critics.

Like you I'm also a fan of Ethan Hawke which gave me the nudge but the fact that the movie was shot over 12 years should be enough to make anyone want to check this unique movie out.
edit on 16-11-2014 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMark

Yeah i was reading the reviews, and all were pretty much like you said: masterpiece, once in a lifetime experience, etc. I especially liked the review by the russian person who says we are so similar no matter where we come from and it gave him a new perspective on Americans. Pretty cool man, when a movie can do that to a person.

I know, I know, "Hollywood = Bad" But i am glad to live in an age with movies. I enjoy books too, but movies can connect you to the characters better, because obviously you can see and hear them. And some directors truely are passionate about their work, and the message they want to share, so its not all just a farce.

new topics

top topics

join