It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So here's something you may have never seen before!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I was waiting around with all the other players of world of warcraft, for the servers to finally be stable enough to let us play their new expansion, warlords of draenor, when blizzard (the company that makes world of warcraft) notified the players that, among other issues, they were also experiencing a ddos attack. this spawned a discussion on their forums wherein someone posted a link to a jaw dropping website that monitors ddos and dos attacks worldwide, where they are coming from, where they are attacking, what ip address is being used, what type of attack it is, and what port is being attacked.

HUGE amounts of attacks were being launched all night long on san fransisco and san rafael, with seattle and perth (australia) taking the occasional mammoth attack as well. it was stunning to watch. so i thought i would post the link here for any who haven't seen it yet. there's some weird crap going on out there, let me tell ya.

map.ipviking.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

The U.S is getting it big time

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
That is way cool to watch! Thanks!!

Every second, Norse collects and analyzes live threat intelligence from darknets in hundreds of locations in over 40 countries. The attacks shown are based on a small subset of live flows against the Norse honeypot infrastructure, representing actual worldwide cyber attacks by bad actors. At a glance, one can see which countries are aggressors or targets at the moment, using which type of attacks (services-ports).

Oh, and by the way, I'm waiting for WoW as well... looks like it's going to be a while.
edit on 14/11/2014 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: RayVon

The U.S is getting it big time

yeah last night i was watching it and even iceland was attacking san fransisco. that was a head scratcher. china appears to be the biggest culprit, but every so often, russia will light up a big one. and there's some weird hexagonal symbol down in the bottom of the map (hard to tell its' there because the data box is covering it but it's semi transparent background so you can see the hexagon thing under it) that launches an attack on san fransisco every so often as well. i can't quite figure out what that hexagon is. if anyone else can figure it out, based on when it launches an attack, that'd be appreciated.

oh in your pic, the hexagon is not under the data box. you see it there between south america and africa? what is that?
edit on 14-11-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That link has been posted here numerous times before. And Runescape is better than WoW

edit on 14-11-2014 by Bovah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamonlyhuman
That is way cool to watch! Thanks!!

Every second, Norse collects and analyzes live threat intelligence from darknets in hundreds of locations in over 40 countries. The attacks shown are based on a small subset of live flows against the Norse honeypot infrastructure, representing actual worldwide cyber attacks by bad actors. At a glance, one can see which countries are aggressors or targets at the moment, using which type of attacks (services-ports).

Oh, and by the way, I'm waiting for WoW as well... looks like it's going to be a while.

yeah i finally got on a few hours ago and was able to get recruits for my garrison. that was fun. melikes the garrison.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
besides world of warcraft's server and company being in san fran and san raf, what else is there that would generate that much interest from china?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo
I was waiting around with all the other players of world of warcraft, for the servers to finally be stable enough to let us play their new expansion, warlords of draenor, when blizzard (the company that makes world of warcraft) notified the players that, among other issues, they were also experiencing a ddos attack. this spawned a discussion on their forums wherein someone posted a link to a jaw dropping website that monitors ddos and dos attacks worldwide, where they are coming from, where they are attacking, what ip address is being used, what type of attack it is, and what port is being attacked.

HUGE amounts of attacks were being launched all night long on san fransisco and san rafael, with seattle and perth (australia) taking the occasional mammoth attack as well. it was stunning to watch. so i thought i would post the link here for any who haven't seen it yet. there's some weird crap going on out there, let me tell ya.

map.ipviking.com...

On a semi related note. What is WoW like to play these days? Are the servers very full? And what is the new expansion like? I havnt played since cataclysm but was thinking about dusting it off

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Nothing new here. Loser hackers always attack video games, from WoW, to LoL, to Sony Playstation and so on.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What exactly is the point of these ddos attacks? Is it just to bring the service down which in turns makes them lose money? I don't get it.

Also, never played WoW but I have to admit that games looks fun. I'm a console guy....tried the PC a few years back when I built my own but just couldn't get into it.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Why would someone want to block access to WoW ? Why are people all over the world Ddosing each other. Is it simply trolls and hackers ?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Silicis n Volvo

it's fun although the newest expansion has been a bit of a problem child. one of the problems was the quest chain narrowed down to a bottleneck, and true to fashion, there were some groups of people on their mammoths, standing right on top of the quest giver, running their train sets, shooting off fire works, having as many pets or special fx going as they possibly could and spamming the chat box. now mind you, this was on the highest pop alliance server and horde server. the lower pop servers didn't have as many issues, but when you have 500+ players all at the same quest giver location, half of which are trying to stop the other players from advancing (competition for server firsts, no doubt), that's not a fun thing. it would've been simple to stop that, by just having the quest giver inside an invisible box.

having such a huge influx of new players/returning players, has caused the high pop servers to go over the top. blizzard has had to implement a queue that limits how many players can be on at a time. for example, i was in a login queue yesterday that had over 4000+ people ahead of me in the queue, with a wait time of over 4 hours. when it got down to 1000 ahead of me, i was disconnected. upon reboot, i was back at the end of the line again, and thus another 4 hours of waiting. that's when i said, eh, i'll just wait till tomorrow. it's currently offline so they can implement server repairs and fix some issues they didn't catch in beta.

anyway, many new features. garrisons are very fun. i'm enjoying that part immensely. draenor is beautiful. the storyline is really good. it's epic. but the login queues and ddos attacks are ruining it.
edit on 14-11-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Check this thread i did not so long ago.
Youtube seems to be down a lot lately
edit on 14/11/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

yeah last night i was watching it and even iceland was attacking san fransisco. that was a head scratcher. china appears to be the biggest culprit, but every so often, russia will light up a big one. and there's some weird hexagonal symbol down in the bottom of the map (hard to tell its' there because the data box is covering it but it's semi transparent background so you can see the hexagon thing under it) that launches an attack on san fransisco every so often as well. i can't quite figure out what that hexagon is. if anyone else can figure it out, based on when it launches an attack, that'd be appreciated.

oh in your pic, the hexagon is not under the data box. you see it there between south america and africa? what is that?

Norse corp utilizes honeypots, or falsified weakpoints to attract hackers. These can be anything from fake Microsoft Exchange servers, Linux systems, ATM's, etc. These attacks are not representative of the entirety of attacks on the net at any given time, just displaying the ones being launched on their private honeypots. The purpose of the simulation is to give people an idea of where most attacks come from, and the frequency of attacks on the net. It would be impossible to see the real amount of attacks in a live tracking format like this due to the sheer amount being carried out at any given time.

That being said, attacker origins can be very tricky to identify given the anonymous nature of the net. An attack carried out from Canada may have actually originated from China if the attacker was utilizing a Canadian IP or performing the attack via the TOR network (slower, but can still transfer and receive data). As far as I can tell, the hexagonal symbol you see is representative of an unknown source, either being military or government. In other words, their analytics platform can't make sense of the attack origin.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Septimus

okay, i was having problems making sense of it too. why would the us gov or the us mil (or is it some other country's gov/mil site?), attack san fransisco? that is the weirdest map ever. so what you are saying is, attacks from iceland or germany or russia, could also be attacks from china? what the heck???

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Yes. That's the beauty and the terror of the net. If you're careful enough, you can be rendered nearly untraceable and make it appear as though you're from granny smiths house in Hoboken, New Jersey when you're actually from Cairo, Egypt. Your IP address is your computers address on the net. Changing it isn't difficult. It's like putting a different address on your mail box, or in this case using your neighbors mailbox who just so happens to be thousands of miles away. Of course, no system is 100% secure, and the same goes for attackers. If you're utilizing ANY sort of connection, you're vulnerable and traceable. That's why configurations like TOR or OpenVPN are dangerous, since they interconnect a mass of computers and route information though multiple sources... makes it a lot harder to trace attack origins.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Well that is interesting, who knew that trolls were a worldwide phenomenon among all walks of life from the #z and giggles types, to those who get paid for it for whatever various purposes. Its a brave new world were everybody is doing all kinds of brave new things. However its all pretty boring even looking at that map on your link gets old after about 5 minutes. But ya its totally mysterious and #, who knows maybe they haxed your wow account, that way they could get some fractions of a pennies from you. I know its not much, but like that scam in that one movie office space, if you take a single fraction of a penny from millions and millions of people. Well that eventually leads to a lot of zeros behind a one in somebody account.

Oh sounds all mysterious and stuff, somebody should make a movie out of it. They could call it Office Space 2, I always wanted a sequel to that movie. Cool site though, I never new there were so many people who had so little of a life that they would constantly be ddos'ing each-other, and here I thought I was the only one, that map is lighting up like a Christmas tree constantly. The only places that dont seem to get much action are off course the north pole and south pole, Alaska and parts of Africa, and Canada. I would think Canada would be lighted up constantly as well, or maybe just not right now as I am looking at it, could be a Canadian holiday or something, nohaxing day or who knows what, or what goes through the minds of Canadians.

new topics

top topics

join