It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop slaps man for requesting a search warrant to search car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

His wife, Carrie, who is a medical provider, said her husband has been under a lot of emotional and physical stress and that she's concerned how the video and any fallout may portray their family in the community. "What my husband did and how he reacted wasn't the correct way to do it, but there were circumstances that came about beforehand," she said. "He's had a very hard year."

Stockholm syndrome.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

An Out Right Example of Police Brutality there . The ACLU would gladly File a Lawsuit against that Cops Employers and Win .

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

An Out Right Example of Police Brutality there . The ACLU would gladly File a Lawsuit against that Cops Employers and Win .

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

no doubt...the wife defending his actions tells me that home is not a happy place

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

The cop is psycho and should be fired and have his guns taken away before he kills someone, simple as that.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gully

The cop is psycho and should be fired and have his guns taken away before he kills someone, simple as that.

Now, now, Shawnie's had a hard hard year. Mustn't be judgemental. He should be allowed to bleed off anxiety by engaging in a bit of the old ultraviolence with the random 'civilian'.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
So they say this terrorist has been suspended without pay while there is an investigation. What are they investigating? Upon seeing the video footage the Chief should have fired and promptly arrested him for felony assault and making terroristic threats.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The wife is a more of the same, I won't get any more insulting than that.. I hope they get run out of town. Where are the good cops in this story..standing around looking at their feet I suppose.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

This is what happens when you give the most heavily armed street gang in your country the authority to investigate there own crimes. Who the heck ever thought that would pan out?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Ok. So he's had a "hard year". So what?!?
Let's forget that he committed battery for a second and talk about professionalism.
Who among us would be allowed to call our clients 'a$$holes' and threaten to "rip off their heads and $hit down their necks"?
I know without a doubt that I would lose my license if I told a patient that.
Why are pigs held to a different standard?

edit on 9-11-2014 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Well to be fair I think this is standard procedure for a number of valid reasons. Also take into account the victim has yet to press charges.

I'm surprised the guy was suspended without pay. Happy he was, just surprised.

The police department needs to cover it's ass so he can't come around and sue for wrongful termination. I think there's a chance he would win if the victim doesn't come forward. Granted, his language and posturing alone was cause for alarm, as well as essentially saying he didn't need a warrant.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Well to be fair I think this is standard procedure for a number of valid reasons. Also take into account the victim has yet to press charges.

I'm surprised the guy was suspended without pay. Happy he was, just surprised.

The police department needs to cover it's ass so he can't come around and sue for wrongful termination. I think there's a chance he would win if the victim doesn't come forward. Granted, his language and posturing alone was cause for alarm, as well as essentially saying he didn't need a warrant.

So it's perhaps standard procedure for bringing forth criminal charges but I cannot comprehend how his conduct resulted in only a suspension. He disregarded law, assaulted a civilian, and made multiple threats against two individuals. I don't see any grounds for wrongful anything. He did those things and it's on video. A person not coming forward shouldn't matter in the slightest in regards to terminating him from the force.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Every single case where that cop got an arrest for searching property without a warrant should now be examined to see if evidence was obtained unlawfully.

(post by Urantia1111 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Another day another cop violating the rights of another, and the whole you wanna resist?

Wheres the criminal charges? Suspended with no pay big F'ing woop, give him a record of his horrible behavior and ruin his life like he ruined others, POS.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Do you disagree with me, FraggleRock? How 'bout I rip your head off and... (kidding)

So one of the big problems is that you can't see the slap. We also don't know if a warrant was needed. The language was undoubtedly crossing a line. Problem is I don't believe that would be an offense worth termination.

This isn't my call, just what I believe to be policy/law. All we really have is a cop being a jackass verbally, we unfortunately don't see him commit assault or search the vehicle. Even if we saw him search the vehicle, with the limited information available we don't know if it was a lawful search or not (which is why there needs to be an investigation along with allegations that he slapped the guy). It certainly would appear to be assault and an unreasonable search, but you need to have all the information. Without all the information and the full incident captured, there is enough reasonable doubt (like it or not) to let him off with some sensitivity training.

That's how lawyers and the police chief are going to view it. There is a lot of money to be gained or lost or saved, which is unfortunate.

In my opinion after viewing the video the cop smacked the guy, scoffed at getting a warrant and intimidated (at least) two people. But I can't prove it. I can prove his conduct was unprofessional, but not the other more serious charges. I would like to be able to, but I'm not entirely convinced I (or someone much more qualified) actually could in a court of law. Especially without at least a statement from the victim.

Take out the uniform. Pretend this is a video of a guy being a dick to his wife. It sounds like he hits her, someone asks if the husband is willing to slap them around too, and the guy says he will rip off the other persons head and go big potty down his throat. The husband also says he will break into his house and smash his furniture (thrown in for comparison with the unlawful search). Wife won't testify or press charges, nothing can be done. Some random person complaining that the wife is being abused is not enough for charges. Problem is we don't actually SEE any of that on video. All we hear is a blowhard. Of course cops shouldn't talk like that, but my point is it's going to be hard to convict him of anything or even fire him for oral diarrhea.

Again, I'm about 95% sure the cop was wrong in every way. A little doubt goes a LONG way in a court though. This is a mixed blessing. It keeps the innocent from being penalized without an abundance of proof, but also let's crapbricks through the, I didn't think this out, cracks.

So if I were a police chief and worried about getting sued, I would take time to gather more info, hopefully find the victim and get an airtight case. A little prudence and patience may just end up saving the taxpayers from having to foot the bill of a ridiculous lawsuit (lawyers aren't cheap), ridiculous judgement (it's happened before) or (and this is the worst case scenario) giving the guy his job back.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Thank-you for providing the quote of the week.........some typos are just awesome.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Honestly the punk the very astute officer was politely making a suggestion too had a bad attitude and deserved everything he got. I think the officer was well within his right to escalate the situation as much as he felt like. He was clearly very afraid, and for good reason too. The young man was acting scared and being polite which means he was hiding something!

Ugh! How dare you question the actions of this wonderful man while in the line of duty. You don't know what's it like to have to talk to the average citizen these days...

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: CraftBuilder

What's even scarier is the fact that this guy was a Sgt. with many service stripes, wonder how long he has been acting this way.

He's been acting this way since at least 1996 when his erratic driving while on duty led to an accident where a civilian died as a result. The more they get away with it the more emboldened they are that their ass is covered.

And if he is the man in charge, or at least one of them, how do you think the rest of the department acts.

The incident took place about 10 minutes from my house with the Sheriffs dept being another 10 min away in the other direction and honestly, its pretty rare with this department. They can't afford to have stuff like this going on. Especially close to Saratoga Springs which is famed for its 19th century natural springs where the rich and famous came on the advice of their physicians for the supposed healing effects as well as the Horse Racing Season from late July through Labor Day. They try to keep things like this to a minimum so they don't spook all the old money that floods our streets every summer. This Sgt. is a notorious prick around here and is the exception not the rule. If this had happened in Albany or Schenectady nobody would've batted an eye let alone suspended the deputy. Luckily the Sheriff does everything he can to avoid any negative publicity for the reasons I mentioned above hence the unpaid suspension. There is a petition on the Saratoga County DA's desk to file official charges and remove him from the job altogether so hopefully something comes of that but I'm not terribly hopeful based on past experience. I did find it really odd that when Interviewed by local press Sgt Glans stated that if it happened again he wouldn't have done anything differently, unless he knew he was bring recorded because yes, it looks bad. No Sh# Sherlock!

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: Gully

Now, now, Shawnie's had a hard hard year. Mustn't be judgemental. He should be allowed to bleed off anxiety by engaging in a bit of the old ultraviolence with the random 'civilian'.

most likely another reason wifey was defending his actions....the more aggression he gets out at work the less there will be at home

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join