It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

post collapse ( resources)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

Re: Nuke plants.

In the U.S., it's a mixed bag. In almost all American facilities, the rods that cause the excitation enter the pile from underneath; that way, if there's a loss of power, (in theory), the rods will lower down on hydraulics into a cooling pool. The newer designs make use of water flow from a nearby natural source for cooling ponds. Supposedly(!) the water returned downstream is not radioactive, merely thermally warm to hot. Not good for the ecosystem, but better than the old style (Fukishima, Chernobyl) style plants.

In theory, they'd be stable for 6 months after power failure and without human maintenance. And DOE has rapid response teams on standby, ready to dis-assemble an atomic pile in the middle of civil chaos. Would make a cool movie.

I don't live within 100 miles of one. Still, average life expectancy will be plummeting anyway in a collapse. So who will know it was from the nukes?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
That's a bit more comforting, but in a total SHTF scenario, I wouldn't count on those response teams showing up.

With all that is going on with Russia's currency in complete free-fall, an impending global economic collapse is lately shaping up to be a LOT more plausible. I still think this is the NUMBER ONE most possible SHTF event that could happen.

If it did, Martial Law would undoubtedly be the governmental response (at least in major urban areas, as that's really the only places they could enforce it well). FEMA, rationing, tent cities, detention centers, all of it, would become a daily reality. Probably after a few days of rioting and looting, once folks saw the empty stores and knew the trucks weren't coming.....

<< 1  2   >>

join