It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Does not Know that America is a Police State?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Marc Victor presents evidence that America is a police state:

I think there are people out there who don't realize America is a police state. But, who doesn't get it? Do Democrats understand that? Do Republicans understand that? I believe mainstream America does not understand America is a police state. Its very confusing how people are so blind to the obvious. What is the problem with people that they do not see the obvious?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: wayforward

American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, TV shows, Football season, the latest iphone gadget, facebook, twitter gossip, ect.. is much more important than politics to the average American. The herd does not realize the dogs are working for the farmer.

Bread and circuses for the masses!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Little do you seem to realize that if America is truly a police state, you wouldn't be posting such a thing online and if you did it wouldn't be long till you're thrown in jail.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
ME!

But then I want one.

Viva la Thorneblood!
Viva la Revolution!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Who does not know America is a police state? Crimminals, people who own guns, people who say negative things about the police or government, anybody on the internet, the police themselves, people who call the police, anybody who escaped a police state and came to the US, people with common sense etc. etc.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Denial or just don't pay enough attention? Even local news, AP re shared and local editorials talked of how lately that Ferguson and other police state corruption news is causing a big push cameras on officers. have never seen it been mentioned as such before and of course the cameras are a recent standard that's becoming more and more common.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

There's a huge difference between a police state and recognizing problems with the police.

Think making a sexist remark vs. gang rape.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   

I used to play Tennis with some lawyers back in the 80s.. One of the guys was talking about a particular Judge and upwardly mobile Prosecutor. Somehow the discussion ended with him saying the Feds have a law against everything and if they want to get you for something they can... I thought he was just pissed at some of the defense material the judge would not allow at the trial; but as time has passed I have realized there is much truth into what he said. Your video backs that up.

The closest to a real in your face police state I have ever lived in was Saudi Arabia... Where the religious police and the government police were present and there was very little recourse for anyone they chose to come after.. Regardless of the accusation... Look at some of the people executed for witchcraft or blasphemy...

We have not descended that far as a society as of yet... But, trumped up charges an blatant lying police reports/cops are problematic.. To many videos showing the cops lied and tried to falsify a report to cover their butts Ooops unknown video appears and watch them back pedal. Stealing money you just pulled out of your bank to buy a used car and the cops find you have cash... good luck; something like 2.5 billion has ended up in the hands of those who did not work for it.. (war on drugs my butt) Thousands of pedestrian and police interactions everyday and 99.999% (my guess) are carried out professionally and correctly.. It is that small percentage that help expedite the drug trade (see Detroit or many other major cities) or just want to rid the world (in their eyes) of people they take a disliking to .... the scum of the earth/useless air breathers etc etc..

There are degrees of "Police State".. Just because there are guns on every corner and troops/cops milling about does not mean you are going to be captured for something stupid... The best police state is a state of fear in the mind of the population... Then it is simple anyone who sticks their head up or catches your attention, "get them" Like a chicken in a barnyard and you are looking for something for supper. IRS comes to mind... most people would not think of cheating them because if they are caught they might lose everything..

S^F good video

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AlphaHawk

Please tell me then what are the defining characteristics of a police state? It seems like most people in a state of poverty have either been beaten up by the police without just cause and then jailed at some point in their lives. That would be my definition of a police state. And I also would like to know what your definition of a police state would have been when you first learned about how the US government works and whether that definition has changed over time. With the United States I found myself constantly moving the goalpost of how I defined "police state" and finally gave up after realizing that in fact most cops are corrupt and most cops are bad cops at the very least in urban areas and possibly most cops are bad cops even in rural areas too.

As soon as I started meeting poor people, I started to learn of the police state. I think the biggest crime in America may be to look like you can't afford a lawyer because the punishment will be swift and severe if you ever are so much as talk back to a police officer.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Less of a police state and more an idealist plutocracy with hints of fascism if you really want to label it.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
You are free so long as you do what you're told. For over 30 years it's been like that, the only difference is new toys of death and more toys to keep you numb.

I never would have imagined growing up that we would "evolve" into mindless barbarians squabbling over land and resources. I've been bamboozled and want my money back.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Ya know.

We always hear about the need to reduce our military, but we never hear about reducing the arms of the police.

In fact most leo's are now para military organizations.

The days of grandma, and grampa's police are long gone.
edit on 8-11-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

You don't seem to realize "police state" is not a binary condition like on and off.

Looking at the world through a binary filter really limits what you can and can't see doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: dreamingawake

There's a huge difference between a police state and recognizing problems with the police.

Think making a sexist remark vs. gang rape.

This reply puts it better than I:

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

You don't seem to realize "police state" is not a binary condition like on and off.

Looking at the world through a binary filter really limits what you can and can't see doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

We all live happily under the illusion of freedom.

We keep repeating, "I am free" all day long as we toil under the legislative whips and chains of our political masters.

Soft despotism is a term coined by Alexis de Tocqueville describing the state into which a country overrun by "a network of small complicated rules" might degrade. Soft despotism is different from despotism (also called 'hard despotism') in the sense that it is not obvious to the people.

Soft despotism gives people the illusion that they are in control, when in fact they have very little influence over their government. Soft despotism breeds fear, uncertainty, and doubt in the general populace. Alexis de Tocqueville observed that this trend was avoided in America only by the "habits of the heart" of its 19th-century populace.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

only people who don't actually know what a " police state "is and are using some ` newspeak ` wingnut definition of " police state " that they made up to fit their fantasies . think the USA is a police state

everyone else - who actually knows what a " police state " is are aware that the USA is not

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

We lock up more people than any other country on earth. What's your definition of a police state? Here's another thing to think about. You think Iran - Contra was an isolated incident? How about old Holders, 'The Fast and Furious'. They lock up people for drugs but guard poppy fields and let drugs over the border every single f'n day. I don't smoke or do drugs but I can see where it's easily accessible to everyone around me. That's entrapment.

Look at how your police look now. Do you see a difference from 20 years ago? APC's, tanks, full battle armor, and assault weapons is what I see. They tooled up on your dime. I hope SWAT don't kick your door down for your child selling lemonade.

Where are your papers?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

What you describe, a place where we can not write or read stuff like this is a total police state. Obviously we are not there, some fear we may get there if we choose to remain ignorant and let a Nanny style of government dictate how we live our lives and earn, spend, and exchange currencies and goods.

The US has the early makings of a police state today. Even many police officers are aware of this. The police state appears to be growing, evidence for this is in our increasing militarized police teams and a breakdown in Posse Comitatus.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Boil the frog.

top topics

join