It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Explosion captured in the Milky Way

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
... quite a lot of action for the time hypothesized, see gif , the initial streak and tangent are roughly 20 seconds of real time by our earlier guestimates

The original is on Vimeo ... vimeo.com...

"Wes Eisenhauer : This is 120 consecutive 30 second exposures".

NB: the video has compression artefacts which makes stars appear to randomly jiggle about when you blow up a section,
( there may have been some in-betweening too , which morphs the image )

It's an illusion the meteor suddenly stopped after the explosion : the smoke-ring tells you part kept on going after the explosion.
edit on 6-11-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

im not sure its the same one , I think we would have seen the second meteor (seen passing through trail) going through the first meteors remains.(ops vid)

ill do a side by side compare later

great detective work though, two on the same evening ,, portentous even

funbox

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

certainly a meteor . shot down by the men in black? ill guess we would have to check what jones & smiths schedule was for that night, cant rule out a viral for the next in the sequal

intergalactic ship exploding deep in the milkyway? .. I doubt we would have seen the after effects we saw if it happened that high up

being shot down by a orbital weapons satellite may be plausible, if there was such a potentially useful contraption

asides from that , im just trying to work out what were seeing from the imagery we have.

funbox

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Definitely our atmosphere! Far more interesting than a deep space encounter! Wonder if it was a meteor or a piece of space junk? What ever it hit hard!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
These are called 'Bolides'. They are small meteors that breakup in the upper atmosphere. Check out more information at the following links. There is some great info on this at Reddit.

Bolide on Reddit link 1

Bolide on Reddit link 2

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: damo1583

It probably hit around somewhere between 15,000 to 25,000 MPH
judging on the size of the smoke ring that was produced. (that's my guesstimate)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'm practiacally 99% convinced they caught the same meteor/bolide.

Same night, couple of states apart though but what looks to me like similar star groups?
To the bottom right in each of the videos, there is a tight cluster. Although not perfectly in line (I'd suggest due to different viewing angles due to a couple of states apart?). I just feel it in my bones. I'm useless with stellarium, so if anyone can match them up that would be great.

We have, same night. Visually what looks like the same event. Viewable both for similar time scales of time lapse photography. What are the chances!? But I'd love an expert to be able to line these up better, it's tricky because different cameras and sensitivity.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Unless it's too late at night and I've been reveling a tad too much, the relative positions look different for the bolide. It could well be two different ones... indicating a ...er, clump of large meteors? Gaggle?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Urgh, I wish people would upload everything in RAW with the timestamps!

The two videos were taken about 10 hrs drive apart (as per my post on the locations on previous page). So I'd expect some difference, how much though would need a person familiar with Stellarium...

Hopefully funbox makes the side by side gif to compare, that might be quite helpful? Not that it's important, I just think it would be wonderfully neat and tidy if it turned out to be the same rocks celestial death caught twice on time lapse.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Er... trying to figure out the spacial relationships betwixt trajectories and spots on a sphere with the stars for reference is giving me a numb feeling between my ears... medicinal my arse!

Yeah, star chart program time!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

You'd be surprised, some folk on ATS get a kick out of pin pointing that stuff. Ahhh maths, the demise of my career as an engineer. :/ So I shall also let my mind go numb in the hope there are still members that will take care of this. I remember way back to the (norway?) ufo (missile) spiral thread. Folks went crazy trying to work out the angles and did some brilliant research. As far as matching up mountain ranges from memory!

I'm not sure if there are many of those kind of researchers left on ats

edit (great thread on the Spiral Norway Spiral check out the wonderful work in pinpointing it's position.

edit on 7-11-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: jaffo

Awesome! The photographer really caught a one in a million moment....and an amazing one at that.
Thanks for posting

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Thats cute... Peep this out..

Edmonton Canada 2009

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
C'mon, everybody knows what the Death Star looks like when it explodes.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

still not sure on them being the same meteor, the second seems brighter to me

sadly there seems to be vast differences in exposure time and shots taken, there was not enough frames in the second bolide to match them properly

¼ speed decrease

funbox

edit on 7-11-2014 by funbox because: wolves touch the brakes, ever so lightly

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

That's actually excellent! Thanks funbox. Without doubt I expect the lower one to be less bright, because look at the difference in capture quality. The upper one shows the entire brightness of the milky way, so that without doubt should be brighter which is what we see.
Now, from the look of it, it would appear it hit somewhere between the 2 locations, so we should see a flipped effect, which is what we see. If you look closely, the brightest part of the 'halo' is one half, which has an 's' shape to it. On the second image which is less sensitive, we only see the brightest side and it does have that 's' shape. Also, I think I can faintly see the rest of the halo - but admittedly thats a stretch and I don't trust my new monitor much.

I thank you for the effort you put in. It has convinced me to 99.5% now
I guess we will never know unless that member tauristercus from the thread above that I linked to comes back. But he's been awol for 3 years..... COME BACK!

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
So those meteors in Russia busted out windows. But that huge thing didn't cause any booms? That's hard to believe. It looked HUUUGGEEE

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
who would have thought the atmosphere was that hard that it's dispersal was as such, I can't imagine a stony/iron meteorite producing an effect like that , what was it made out of rice crispy's?

very odd looking

funbox

If velocity is great enough, even air can act as a solid wall.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join