It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potential Ebola patient admitted to Duke University Hospital

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

A patient displaying potential symptoms of Ebola was admitted to Duke University Hospital Sunday.

Duke announced the news in a University-wide email Sunday evening, and the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services held a press conference less than an hour later. The patient arrived in the United States from Liberia Friday, entering through Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, and showed no symptoms of the disease upon arrival in the U.S. The patient does not exhibit any symptoms other than fever and is currently isolated in a secure unit within Duke Hospital.

Duke Chronicle

From an affected country with the primary symptom we are told is the one to watch for.

Duke Hospital should be able to handle this if it turns out to be positive.

The patient had no symptoms upon arrival and had no known exposure to Ebola while in Liberia, officials said.

"Keep in mind, this person did not have symptoms while traveling on the bus," Davies said Sunday. "Also keep in mind, this person has not been diagnosed with any specific condition yet."

She said the patient self-monitored and called the National Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the onset of fever. The CDC immediately called the state Division of Public Health.

“It is important to note that the patient’s fever could indicate other illnesses,” officials said. “The patient will be evaluated for possible causes of fever, including testing for Ebola.”

source

This is true, it could be any number of other illnesses or sometging as simple as the flu.
edit on 2-11-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: more to say

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Here's a little more:

DHHS Secretary Aldona Wos opened the press conference with a lengthy statement as to how well-prepared Governor Pat McCrory is regarding the potential Ebola case. Wos indicated that the governor had spoken with New Jersey governor Christie this evening, presumably about contact tracing on the flight that arrived in Newark yesterday.

and an interesting tidbit:

Dr. Wos seemed thrown off by a question about how the patient got to North Carolina from Newark. When she responded that it was a commercial bus, an unnamed official abruptly called the press conference to a close.

Test results should be in sometime Monday morning.

www.forbes.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

an unnamed official abruptly called the press conference to a close.

The ebola czar's lackey, I bet.

Remember you can't get it on a bus, you can only give it.

We seem to have gotten lucky so far in that it seems to be harder to catch than I've thought but I still don't think we know enough about transmission modes and need to treat it like the BSL-4 pathogen it is.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Should that bus not be pulled out pf service?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Where is Obama's CDC Ebola "Swat Team" ????

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Where is Obama's CDC Ebola "Swat Team" ????

Probably doing what they are supposed to do.
Waiting to be asked for their assistance by local authorities. Except, there aren't any such teams as yet anyway.

edit on 11/3/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yeah weird about the abrupt ending to the presser. Dude took a bus? Erm....

This caught my attention too and it was the only place I see it so far. When did they agree? Did they agree on their own? Or did someone ask them to?

The Associated Press and other press outlets have agreed not to report on suspected cases of Ebola in the United States until a positive viral RNA test is completed.

But I’m covering tonight’s announcement of a potential Ebola case because it has been reported in my area, and at Duke University Medical Center, an institution where I hold an unpaid adjunct associate professor appointment in their Department of Medicine. [Forbes]

I think the better guideline would be, if you report a potential case you have to report the results as loudly. And the other thing is, don't you have to keep testing them for 21 to 42 days?

Goes with this: US Has Test That Can Detect Ebola Virus In Seconds (But It’s Stuck In A Lab) and this: Scientists create litmus-like paper Ebola tests taking 30 minutes.

ETA: Come on about the SWAT teams already. The CDC has always had SWAT teams and they announced the military rapid response teams weeks ago. That is a sensible and logical move.
edit on 11/3/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical
Is the CDC helping Duke University in their public announcements? If they are, half of what we have been told will turn out to be false.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
NEW INFO: Liberia traveler at Duke University Hospital returned negative result for Ebola

A preliminary test for Ebola in a patient with a fever at Duke University Hospital in Durham has come back negative. The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services announced Sunday that a person who had recently traveled to North Carolina after returning from Liberia was hospitalized with a fever on Sunday. Fever is one of the symptoms of the deadly virus that has killed thousands in West Africa in a deadly outbreak.

Authorities say the man flew into Newark Airport in New Jersey on Friday and took a bus to North Carolina. The patent arrived in Person County in North Carolina on Saturday. The fever was reported on Sunday. The patient will be tested for Ebola again to confirm the preliminary result. That is scheduled to take place 72 hours after his fever first developed. The patient's fever could be a sign of another illness, according to NCDHHS. In the meantime, the patient will remains in what officials describe as the "contained, isolated and secured unit at Duke in which care has been delivered since admission Sunday night." DHHS says he is the only patient in the unit, and the people caring for the man will not have contact with any other patients.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Just got a text from my good friend in North Carolina. She said her local news now reporting the initial test is negative but the patient remains in isolation.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Pauligirl

Thanks. Looks like we posted at same time

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
This is exactly the point of the quarantine.

NOBODY shows symptoms...until they DO show symptoms, and if the precise moment they become infectious and symptomatic is when they are around lots of people? Then they'll potentially spread it around a bus, a train, a shopping mall, a dispensary, a cinema...anywhere.

Waiting for symptoms to appear is just like playing roulette.

It's taking a massive chance if the symptoms develop, and hence the infectiousness develops at a later point and the infected person is mingling with others...and then others may be infected, then go on to infect people in their circles, and they infect others and a chain reaction happens.

This is how epidemics and pandemics get a hold and get started, by people who think they're ok, going on to become infectious and passing it on to innocent others.

If people travel to the infected counties to help...good for them, and they have my respect...though they will lose that respect rather quickly when they become careless and cavalier with our own countries health and well being and don't take required precautions, like a brief spell in a quarantine facility or adhere to self imposed quarantines at home.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
This is exactly the point of the quarantine.

NOBODY shows symptoms...until they DO show symptoms, and if the precise moment they become infectious and symptomatic is when they are around lots of people? Then they'll potentially spread it around a bus, a train, a shopping mall, a dispensary, a cinema...anywhere.

Waiting for symptoms to appear is just like playing roulette.

It's taking a massive chance if the symptoms develop, and hence the infectiousness develops at a later point and the infected person is mingling with others...and then others may be infected, then go on to infect people in their circles, and they infect others and a chain reaction happens.
[snip]

Agreed totally. That was the whole point people were trying to stress with nurse Kaci Hickox in Maine... For some reason this little bit of logic eluded her.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

We seem to have gotten lucky so far in that it seems to be harder to catch than I've thought

We all got lucky because you were wrong? We didn't get lucky at all. It implies that there could've easily been a much worse outcome which is simply not realistic.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: HappyThoughts

We seem to have gotten lucky so far in that it seems to be harder to catch than I've thought

We all got lucky because you were wrong? We didn't get lucky at all. It implies that there could've easily been a much worse outcome which is simply not realistic.

Just want to chime in and say I would def. be inclined to side with you, and believe your statement. Probably Jaded would as well. It's funny.. with something like this, you will find people all over the "how easily EBV can spread" spectrum. Time will prove your theory out (or not).

(?)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa
Should that bus not be pulled out pf service?

yes.....

and ASAP!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
Just got a text from my good friend in North Carolina. She said her local news now reporting the initial test is negative but the patient remains in isolation.

excellent confirmation ..!!

thx you !!!! multiple stars your way !!!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
How wonderful. Just in time for my visit. I actually have a Dr. appointment at Duke in 2 weeks. Soooo, long drive to NC and try not to touch anything while at the hospital lol. Ah well, I guess I will be investing in more colloidal silver.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

Well done, and thanks for the update!
I hope Ms. Kaci has an RSS feed on this story... it
could be a pertinent precedent for her pending
suit against the government. I wonder what the
test will pan out to for halfway into the 21 day cookout...

And my personal feelings on having any presser, local
or otherwise being even 50% useful truth after a Fed
won the calf roping competition and slammed the door--
"We suppress, you comply"
edit on 3-11-2014 by derfreebie because: It already stinks and the CDC has the Midas Touch

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Thanks for the thread, BUMPED. It seems from the quick
reaction time the CDC and the rest of the Feds are much
more concerned with controlling the news and info than
the isolation and minimizing of risk from the pathogen.

It reeks of an agenda rather than a mission statement. Almost
two out of three people in these Ebola threads have reinforced
this conviction of mine-- and it should go badly if the isolated
and LIHOP campfires catch hold here.

If not it would reflect directly on the "headline-fear-info dropout"
thing.
"Oh here's another one over here ;
it MAY BE Ontha Magogo, crickets." Simmer and repeat until
noticeable demands surface for mass inoculation/ disappearances.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join