It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN: Climate Change Is Happening...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
What I think is most tragic about this situation is how it is happening.

The very thing we use to think - our minds - has been utterly objectified: which makes us utterly dependent on external factors in determining how we feel about this subject. Very few of us have the cognitive "tools" to think, reflect, and discern without being overly determined by external - cultural/biological - factors.

It's crazy. I won't personally allow myself to lose hope; its all anyone has when all else seems to be lost.

My personal mission in life is about investing the minds of the next generation, via mindfulness in schools - to get people to think about their thoughts and feelings and "create connections", so that by the time they reach adulthood, they'll be better prepared and more cognitively able to process just how much damage previous generations had caused.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

what about the other planets in the solar system that are warming up?

Why do you think they are warming up? Do you know about the actual observations? Do you care? Why do you think we can even guess at changing global conditions on other planets? Do you know how long seasons last on Neptune?

Oh, yeah. What about the ones that aren't "warming up?"

Precisely my point, can you tell me why some are and some are not? i bet you think you can Phage as you are all knowing. why do you ask if i care? what has caring got to do with anything? Your right WE CANT guess at changes in global conditions on other planets NO more than we can guess our own with the tiny amount of information we have compared to the extremely large amount of time that has past with no doubt many many influences. yes as human beings we like to think we are the pinnacle, and no doubt our observations have some merit , but are we seeing the big picture? and while we are busy occupying ourselves with the thin cracks in the wall , the whole building is unstable because we are unable to reconcile the whole structure.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

and it has been getting steadily warner since the last interglacial.
No. It hasn't.
math.ucr.edu...

Phage, since you are a respected and esteemed source of vast terminals, would you be so obliged to give us hypotheses and opinion? I know many here will seriously consider your opinion.
edit on 2-11-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

Precisely my point, can you tell me why some are and some are not? i bet you think you can Phage as you are all knowing.
I gave you hint. Did you miss it?

Your right WE CANT guess at changes in global conditions on other planets NO more than we can guess our own with the tiny amount of information we have compared to the extremely large amount of time that has past with no doubt many many influences.
We don't have to guess about what's happening on Earth. We live here. We have real time data and can extract historical data. We can measure things like total solar irradiance.

the whole building is unstable because we are unable to reconcile the whole structure.
Huh?

edit on 11/2/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

The global average temperature is increasing at an alarming rate.
Human activity is the primary, if not proximate, cause.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

a reply to: StoutBroux

The global average temperature is increasing at an alarming rate.
Human activity is the primary, if not proximate, cause.

Here are actual links that disagree with you Phage. The "climatologists" are paid shills for the Government. Their paychecks depend on confirming the global warming agenda. Why is it that these "climatologists" have been caught several times falsifying results? Maybe because they are paid to confirm the climate agenda?

Wall Street Journal

31,000 Scientists - No Convincing Evidence of Global Warming

Scientists Opposing Mainstream Assessment of GW

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
A Wall Street op ed. Nope.

With a bit of research you'll find that most of those 31,000 are not Earth scientists, much less scientists.
Your source, did you read it?

To participate in the petition one only needs to mark a check box to show that one has a Ph.D., M.S., or B.S. degree, and then fill in the fields. Unfortunately, that means that anyone can sign the petition, whether they have a degree or not.

ossfoundation.us...

Your third link is about the bogus "petition."

Correction, your third link mentions the bogus petition and does point out a small number of scientist who disagree with the consensus.

Why is it that these "climatologists" have been caught several times falsifying results?
They have not been.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

So in other words you care only about yourself and have no cares for future human beings. That's the problem with the world. We can't survive as a species if everyone only thinks about themselves. It's impossible.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I disagree with your opinions of my links and I would be happy to post my opinions of your links, but so far you haven't supported your position with anything of substance...only hyperbole and opinion.

And yes, climatologists have falsified their results. Google "Climategate" for one of these examples if you are actually being serious.

edit on 2014/11/3 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

So in other words you care only about yourself and have no cares for future human beings. That's the problem with the world. We can't survive as a species if everyone only thinks about themselves. It's impossible.

No, those are your words not mine, however, I can simplify it by saying that I don't worry about something in which I don't believe. Does that help?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Ok.

The manufactured controversy over emails stolen from the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit has generated a lot more heat than light. The email content being quoted does not indicate that climate data and research have been compromised. Most importantly, nothing in the content of these stolen emails has any impact on our overall understanding that human activities are driving dangerous levels of global warming. Media reports and contrarian claims that they do are inaccurate.

www.ucsusa.org...

edit on 11/3/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

and it has been getting steadily warner since the last interglacial.
No. It hasn't.
math.ucr.edu...

You realize your link pretty much debunks man made climate change? Look at those swings and look at the last 500 years

Or this could be evidence of a civilization that died out around 14k years ago .

or the fact that graph shows the temp spike between 12k and 10k bc that makes our current temp almost unnoticable

What in that link would point towards man made gw , might I ask?

The fluxuations pre 10k bc are giant comparitivley
edit on am1120143001America/ChicagoMon, 03 Nov 2014 01:00:38 -0600_11000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

You realize your link pretty much debunks man made climate change? Look at those swings and look at the last 500 years
No, it doesn't. Just because the climate has changed in the past due to factors other than human, it doesn't mean that humans are not the primary cause of the change we are seeing now. Especially since the reasons for changes in past are not present now. No massive volcanic eruptions to cause cooling, no increased solar radiation to cause warming. But it certainly does shoot down the claim that " it has been getting steadily warner since the last interglacial."

What in that link would probably not towards man made gw , might I ask?
Huh?

edit on 11/3/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

So youre willing to risk the POSSIBLE extinction of humanity on a belief? Sounds reasonable

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

So youre willing to risk the POSSIBLE extinction of humanity on a belief? Sounds reasonable

That's a huge leap.

I don't think even your climatologists believe global warming will cause the extinction of humans. If global warming turns out to be real...which I doubt...humans will adapt to the changes in climate as they have been for thousands of years.
edit on 2014/11/3 by Metallicus because: clarity

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

You knocked me for a bad analogy. Yours is far worse.

My choice to risk going to hell affects me and me alone.

Your choice to ignore climate change affects the entire human race including unborn children.

If climate change isn't real and we acted on it, then no harm done. In fact it will be positive anyways as the same issues that climate change wants to address would improve the environment in a plethora of ways.

If climate change is real then acting on it will have saved humanity from extinction.

So in other words there is no possible downside to acting as if climate change is real and acting on it. There are huge downsides if it is real and we ignored it.

Speaking of belief in God, ever hear of Pascal's wager? It's pretty applicable here and similar to what I just posited. He's pro God by the way.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

I choose not to live my life in fear or allow myself to be manipulated by a logical fallacy.

Have a good night.

edit on 2014/11/3 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Ignorance is bliss as they say. Let's hope you're right and that this ignorance and selfishness doesn't cause the extinction of humanity.

You're almost definitely wrong. Almost every important scientific theory that has been fought against by the uneducated has been proven right. Heliocentric theory of the universe. Earth being round. Smoking is harmful. Evolution. All proven true but ignored or attacked by the ignorant armies of the status quo.

I'd bet my soul this one will pan out too. When tons of academics are for something and tons of rich assholes and ignorant sheep are against it, it's always the academics who are right.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I wonder about that table: percentages of gas in the atmosphere...
At a quick glance it can be quite confusing, or rather, misleading... at a quick glance, that is.

Methane : 1,750ppb
Carbon Dioxide : 350ppm
Nitrous oxide : 280ppb
Carbon Monoxide : 150ppb
Ozone : 4-65ppb

I think I've a good idea on an answer to your "unscientfimacal question"...
But here's my unscientfimacal question: I'd like to know why Carbon Dioxide is placed where it is and why it is not recorded as ppb?

Should that table not read as follows:

Carbon Dioxide : 350,000ppb
Methane : 1,750ppb
Nitrous oxide : 280ppb
Carbon Monoxide : 150ppb
Ozone : 4-65ppb

??

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
On the same day the UN report comes out, South Carolina gets two feet of snow! Yes I know the Northern Hemisphere is going into winter, but that is still a bit early!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join