It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antifreeze Ingredient Found in Whiskey Sold in US and Canada, Pulled from Shelves in Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
CBS

This title is a case of sensationalized journalism and yet this title is not dissimilar from what you would have seen in MSM publications all over the globe concerning this product. In my opinion, this is basically libelous against the manufacturers because while propyleneglycol is found in antifreezes, it is not itself antifreeze and is considered to be safe for human consumption, and if it were antifreeze, the cure for antifreeze consumption is large volumes of ethanol consumption because they compete for the same metabolic pathway, so it is literally contained within the ideal product.

MSDS Propylene Glycol

If you look under section 11, toxicology information, it requires 18500 mg/kg consumption for an individual to have a 50% risk of fatality, meaning that the average 21 year old male would have to consume 1.3 kg of the stuff (almost 3 pounds) to have a 50% risk of dying. It isn't perfectly safe, but it is pretty safe, and we consume it in other food products without peril. I think this is a case of the EU's bureaucracy engaging in mass hysteria which is leading the media to sensationalism just to get attention to increase their advertising revenues. I hate this era where everything has to be monetized. Can't we have a separation of society and marketplace to carry certain charitable endeavors like educating the electorate into the realm of the not-for-profit?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This sounds like a little sensationalism really.....
Like methyl and ethyl alchohols....
Youll find methyl is present in things like orange juice...yet its supposed to be poisonous....
The whole story on toxic ingredients is fraught with ignorance by the great unwashed.......

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
PG is a food additive. That is so stupid and irresponsible that they would present it like this. And they are to blame for making ppl even that much more stupid.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Its also in Dr. Pepper....I wonder if they have Dr. Pepper on their shelves still?

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It is in ice cream too.
eatittobeatit

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Alcohol takes about two hours to wear off, propylene glycol takes about five. This is still not safe

I am not very tolerant to propylene glycol. It effects my breathing. If I were to consume a shot glass full, it would make it real hard to breath. Now, maybe if I were to start drinking again, I could drink it. But I don't want to start drinking again. Propylene Glycol is slightly toxic to everyone, what they are talking about is killing a person, not effecting the thinking or the health of a person. So if you only consider death, you usually need to consume a lot. The thing is that this chemical is not good for our minds or body. It is a medicine, it brings things into the body. It opens gates that should not be opened unless there is a reason. It should not be in our foods.

Of course it is approved, it slightly dopes us. It also dampens energy levels in the body. Alcohol is the antidote, but you need to remember that we shouldn't be drinking all the time just so we can neutralize the chemicals put in our foods.

I did a hell of a lot of research on this chemical over the years. There are similar natural chemicals to this that are not a problem. Vanilla is similar but I have no reaction to pure vanilla, but when you put the double strength vanilla in food I have a reaction. That is because it is half propylene glycol. Real vanilla, which is processed with alcohol, is safe for me.

I don't care if people don't believe this, I know how this effects me and I am not the only one effected, many people are. Most people do not even understand that they can feel better and think better. They have lived half doped up most of their life, like I did, and can't comprehend how good it feels to be able to think clearly. Some people have consumed this doping chemistry since they were an infant, and the awakening would overwhelm them. Being able to see all the deceit around us can drive a person nuts though, so we need a little of this chemistry. Just not propylene glycol, I would rather eat potatoes or asparagus.

Look at this pediatrics page, quite a way down you will find propylene glycol. Now, this is kids but can apply to all. pediatrics.aappublications.org... The amount in meds is small compared to the amount contained in our foods. Now consider that we are consuming adequate amounts to effect our thinking. Read the way it effects all people and wonder, could this be put in our foods to suppress us without our knowledge? It almost seems like a beta blocker to me, I have taken those. Beta blockers settle the adrenal gland, but meat works better than a pill. Less side effects by diet instead of meds. This is one of many doping chemistries they add to food, the problem comes with combining a few of these chemistries in our diet, cross reactions can occur.

I can list a lot of different settling chemistries in food, I studied a lot on this subject to find out what was best to treat my epilepsy. I also did a lot of testing on myself to try to find how stuff effects me. I would rather be able to think clear than to spend my whole day looking for my shoes and burn stuff on the stove.
edit on 30-10-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I have to disagree with you. This and other things are where the EU are ahead of the US like GMO's. Get that # outta the food, Europe did it, why can't we? This is like big tobacco adding chemicals, and from your OWN link it says this ....

Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

You OK with Organ Damage? Peachy, I'll keep smoking my medicine. And vaping my tobacco. Ty anyway

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nechash
CBS

This title is a case of sensationalized journalism and yet this title is not dissimilar from what you would have seen in MSM publications all over the globe concerning this product. In my opinion, this is basically libelous against the manufacturers because while propyleneglycol is found in antifreezes, it is not itself antifreeze and is considered to be safe for human consumption, and if it were antifreeze, the cure for antifreeze consumption is large volumes of ethanol consumption because they compete for the same metabolic pathway, so it is literally contained within the ideal product.

Well it does say in the report antifreeze ingredient and it's the ingredient that's what the fuss is about.

The report also includes this paragraph in observation,
"Sazerac insists Fireball Whisky is perfectly safe to drink. Still, this bad publicity could end up burning them."
Seems alright to me, all the lowdown is there.

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

You OK with Organ Damage? Peachy, I'll keep smoking my medicine. And vaping my tobacco. Ty anyway

I'm hoping you use VG juice rather than PG juice ^^

Sorry if my quote unquote didn't work.. As you can see I just made this account.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrGrynch

I'm hoping you use VG juice rather than PG juice ^^

Sorry if my quote unquote didn't work.. As you can see I just made this account.

Says 80/20
so yea its 20% pg, ideally it would not have PG. I shouldn't be so quick...

I like the flavor(don't make it myself), If I drank fireball whiskey, I would not stop because of this haha

edit on 31-10-2014 by nrd101 because: time travel

But yea, PG is caustic, just try a %100 PG juice and you will see this.

edit on 31-10-2014 by nrd101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

Alcohol itself is an irritant which can cause organ damage and cancers, so... isn't this like splitting hairs? I honestly don't see how the ethanol is any less harmful than the PG. Now, if they were advocating the removal of all PG from everywhere because of its dangers, then I could see that, but then, there would be no need to sensationalize things by labeling it an "antifreeze ingredient." Why don't we call ethanol a "rocket-fuel ingredient?" Wouldn't that be reasonable following the same line of logic?

top topics

join