It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 100 - Art Experts Needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
The 100 - The 48

The first episode of the second season of The 100 has some famous art in it. I don't know what the art is but I'm pretty sure it's paintings that should be known.

I'm art ignorant so was hoping for some help. The episode is possibly linked there, it's titled The 48 if you need to search for it.

Oh, the shows is pretty cool also, if you want to talk about that. I'm hoping for some info on the art as I bet there's some symbolism there.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I'd have to rewatch the episode again, but I do remember that since we now know they're in D.C (the statue of Lincoln at Lincoln's camp finally gave us a location!) it made sense that there were so many paintings from the National Gallery of Art in the bunker. I remember when Jasper is getting more cake and meeting Maya, there's a Renoir (Dance at Bougival) and a Rembrandt portrait behind him.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: halfpint0701

Ok, that's a start. How about the one in Clarke's room at the beginning? I KNOW that one but I don't know it. Nighttime with swirls. Makes me think of The Scream by Munch(I believe) but I'm really unsure.

Looked at the Renoir, not sure what the symbolism is. He's showing two friends dancing, which is what Dante(the President) and Clarke are doing but they aren't friends. Nice allegory with the reference to The Divine Comedy - his name, not the painting.
edit on 10/29/2014 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/29/2014 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

The one in Clarke's room at the beginning is Van Gogh's Starry Nights

ETA: I actually laughed and told my husband, "Of course his name is Dante".
edit on 10/29/2014 by halfpint0701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Back before dinosaurs ruled the world and I was in high school, I took a modern literature class. I was lost with all the meanings of the books I read. Over the years, I've gotten a little better at that stuff but not much and one of the things that screws me up is art(. But I still try.

I think I got lucky with the Dante connection. But, maybe I'm just not completely stupid. It helps that I've been watching things like Rick Steve's Europe(travel program) with all the art in close up to explain the meaning/propaganda involved. I still am baffled by Picasso's Guernica, well, Picasso in general, but that one I see and still don't really "get".

Thanks for the help, HP!.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Just remember that most art is subjective, as it should be. The feelings and meanings you get looking at a painting will be different than mine and may also change depending on what's going on in your life. Although it is fun to learn about the little hidden eggs either behind the meaning of or literally hidden within the subject of famous paintings.

Picasso gets my respect and acknowledgement for being a pioneer of Cubism, but it's not a style I particularly enjoy. I prefer the artwork of his influences, Gauguin and Cezanne, although is more conventional pieces (Science and Charity or The Old Guitarist) are wonderful.

I also get highly annoyed at abstract art. I'm sorry, but a black dot in the center of a white canvas or something that looks like a 3 yr old's preschool finger paint project does not belong in the same building with Van Gogh, Monet, Dali, or DaVinci.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

The way I see it is Monet spent much of his life painting really blurry water lilies. That's the same as the dot in the center to me.

Now, give me a Iron Maiden album cover and I can see what they are getting at but any real art baffles me, for the most part.

I do think Dali had access to really good hallucinogenics.

I do think there is a reason for the paintings in this show though. That Bosch is hell, or so the experts tell me, and that is exactly where the 48 are.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

LoL you totally reinforced what I was saying about art being subjective because Monet is my #1 favorite artist and Impressionism is my favorite form of art.

The whole point of Impressionism is exactly as the name states -- impressions. It forgoes details and instead concentrates on lighting and short brush strokes to convey the visual effects of movement and how the outside world looked at just that moment. Monet's waterlilies are blurry because they're not the focus of the painting. The focus is the colors and trying to capture that fleeting moment of time of how things looked just then with the sun hitting the water.

As for Dali, I love him and think he and Lewis Carroll would have had some highly entertaining conversations together haha.

Like I said before, I'd have to rewatch the episode and pay more attention to the artwork to see if there's a deeper meaning to the pieces they chose. For now, I think it was merely a way to give Dante and Clarke a common interest as a stepping stone to earning her trust. I kinda think the group is in more danger from the Chancellor's group than Dante's group right now.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I'm curious now about what you'd think of some of my paintings. Can you tell that I've always been influenced by the Impressionists?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Dali's pieces are so much more appreciated in person. At least for the larger works. Luckily, the main Dali museum is in the same city I work in, so I've been there a few times.

I love Baroque paintings and the Old Masters most though, out of all of it. The Ringling Museum isn't too far, and has a large collection of Rubens' work. I can get lost in there for hours.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Monet is totally my favorite artist of all time! I cannot believe someone would not dearly love Monet! But your right art is very subjective.

Nice painting by the way.

To the OP I would have to watch the show. If and when I get a chance I will reply on the topic.
edit on 29-10-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Well, it's nice but not what I would want hanging around(it's just fish) but I'm sort of like oil to art's water. We don't mix and I just see pictures not whatever I'm supposed to see.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well, that one in Clarke's room at the beginning is Van Gogh's De Sterrennacht,which was painted in a insane asylum before he killed himself. That makes a bit of sense.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I can't answer your question because i am far from an art expert but i am a huge fan of the show, do we have a thread for the show? I cant seem to find one which i find super surprising!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

Talk all you want, this thread will do. I haven't been able to find much in my art quest so maybe with general conversation some art historian might show up and school me.

It's a bit like The Walking Dead. Every time they find a new group you know they aren't right and you have to find out what their deal is. The government at Mt. Weather isn't so nice to the grounders. I wonder what the Cerebrus program is. I assume harvest means use the blood, so hmmmm.....

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Anyone still watching this show? I'm totally digging Alie as the bad girl, frikking AI can't be trusted. I'm still only halfway through the newest episode so don't know what happens when they walk into Alie's trap.

Jasper, that idiot, had to go and ruin it all. I kinda liked him even when he was messed up but now I wonder if he took it voluntarily or was forced. If it was his choice I'll view him negatively but it most likely wasn't, at least I hope.

I'm a little slow right now - had a crazy 24 Las Vegas hours(don't ask) and I probably have more ideas - I'll hold off on sending this post until I finish the show.

Ok, finished watching it. Murphy and Pike saving the day, well, only in the short term and the only one who fix this now that Ontari's gone is Luna. She'll have to have had a change of heart, I guess.

Seriously looking forward to next weeks finale as I really am liking this story line they have going.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I don't watch the show, but I did have a lot of Art History, both in school, and just my own private interest. In most cases, if you describe a work well enough, I can likely take a good stab at it. (Even the abstract stuff, though it isn't really my cup of tea, I still learned it).

top topics

join