It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mentally Insane or Brilliant Comedian - Zack Galifiniakis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Most of you I'm sure know Zack Galifiniakis for his movie rolls and possible for his show Between Two Ferns. He also is well known for his Stand up Comedian Work and other strange comedy projects. I was just watching the latest Between Two Ferns with Brad Pitt. Very interesting for those who may want to check it out. He's made a career by doing a very unfamiliar form or comedy. It's often very uncomfortable and unconventional and I can see how some people may not "get it".

However I find him absolutely hilarious because of it's original style. I also don't think it's anywhere near as "unprepared" as many people think. I think it's actually very well thought out most of the time and purposefully made to look like it's thrown together to add to the uncomfortable nature of it. After all the years of comedy being done it's difficult to come up with a style that is unique, even if it's only new for this generation.

In my personal opinion he is quite brilliant in some of the things he comes up with and has a great delivery. It's often times impossible to tell if his mistakes are real or planned, especially in his stand up. Whether he's actually just gone off the rails like an insane person or if it's just purposefully done that way to give that impression. That's my take on him anyway. What do you guys think???

edit on 26-10-2014 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

'Sorta funny, but obviously rigged so it was not THAT funny.
I blame my criteria for judging humor, however.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

You might try some of his stand up stuff. Or the old show he was on Comedians of Comedy too. But like I said, he's not for everyone. Also this show is rigged and everyone knows it and it's sorta made that way. It's his stand up and other stuff where it becomes difficult to know if he's doing some of the material that's planned of if it's just spontaneous.

Kinda cool he had on Louis CK. He's super funny too. Also not for everyone. He can be a bit too graphic for some, but I think he's also great.
edit on 26-10-2014 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Some serious elements of the old Monty Python on screen interviews, the disrespect for the guest, the self centeredness of the host kinda thing. He also demonstrates a fair amount of Andy Kaufmanness in his "is this real or put on" type of thing.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It's 'Zach Galifianakis', and he's brilliant.

'Birdman or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance' opened here this weekend and it is a tour de force!

Zach plays a very straight role as producer to Michael Keaton's over-the-top character, the writer, Director and star of an off-Broadway play.

10 out of 10 stars.

edit on -05:00291410372014-10-26T20:37:29-05:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Brillaint and insane are not mutually exclusive. In fact they are often synonymous.

In the case of Galifianakis I think we see that mixture quite clearly. Sadly most of the best comedians tend to have this mixture of genius and insanity - and, because of this - far too many of them end up leaving this world sooner than they should.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Brillaint and insane are not mutually exclusive.

Ain't that the truth.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I do a lot of laughing, and I see the humor in a lot of things. I have always been drawn to certain types of comedy, while other types do not really do it for me. Take Monty Python. A lot of that stuff is just not funny to me, although there definitely are some hilarious bits. Perhaps this is because I was only born in 86, and maybe I was just too late to get a lot of the material, or perhaps it is simply too English. Anyway, Zack's stuff I get, and that is the type of comedy I find one of the most appealing. Of course much if this is going to be personal preference, so I imagine there are people with the complete opposite comedic taste. As to whether he is insane at all, I don't know the guy so it is hard to say. I do think that appears quite sane, and that his comedy is brilliantly timed and crafted. He is one of my favorite comedians, and I also like Louis CK, who never would have bumbled on stage that way, which makes it even more hilarious. I loved Dave Chappelle as well, and I thought he was the funniest guy around for a few years. Right now I am liking Daniel Tosh's style of comedy, and I think he is one of the funniest comedians out there right now.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Can we have a third option? ;p I don't think he's insane, eccentric maybe, to a level that couldn't be easily faked. I think the eccentricity comes too easily to him for it to be totally unnatural.

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Eccentric is just polite talk for nuts!

Posted by somebody who is legally eccentric

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

Sure. A third or forth option is fine with me. I always heard the Eccentric is really just what someone is called when they are Crazy and Wealthy, but when you're poor, they just call you Crazy. But I'll accept eccentric, sure, why not.

Some others might be, Creatively Out of Step, Crazy like a Fox, Brilliantly Non Conformist, Deranged Comic Mastermind, or really any other choice is acceptable since it's all just personal opinion anyway. So go ahead and label away. That might be interesting to see how many different ways people can think of to label Zack's Comic Style in with just a few words.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

He reminds me of Andy Kaufman. His style isn't as abrasive or as shocking as Andy, but at times it is very uncomfortable. I don't know if he's brilliant or not, just that I find him entertaining at times.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This trailer of Zach's latest film should remove any doubts about his sanity and confirm his obvious acting ability in a serious dramatic role.

www.youtube.com...

'Birdman or the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance' is a film about actors and the performances of Michael Keaton, Zach Galifianakis, Naomi Watts, Edward Norton and Emma Stone are superb.

Were talkin' Oscars here.

join