It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patek Philippe 5175R Grandmaster Chime Watch

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I assure you that I can build a digital watch for my wrist in a day...

I assure you that I cannot build a watch like this in my lifetime.

Call it what you want bubba.

cheers

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

i was suprised at how much of it was done by hand
Hand engraved too...
I guess none of those guys are coffee drinkers. "I'm of to work Dear" "Have a wonderful day Darling.... Oh! Don't forget your Valium".

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Man, that's something.

I was feeling guilty about buying me an early Christmas present - way back when I was in the Army and changed my MOS, Dad gave me the watch he wore in the Rangers, I wore it for about six years and tossed it with the rest of the gear I took home into a box and shoved it in the attic when I ETS'd. No shrine walls for the kid - that's a wrap, box it up, move on.

Dad asked where the watch ended up. I dug it out, it wasn't working anymore. I got all nostalgic and I sent it off to be redone. Tear down, lube, new gaskets, new lume, new band (couldn't wear that one in public), new crystal, regulated so it would keep accurate time, the whole ball of wax. Since it's a complicated watch mechanism, it's going to run a bit over $500, which I could afford but man, that's a lot of money for a watch. I waffled a good three months over it, but the old lady said she wanted me to redo it, so off it went.

It's also going to take about 14 weeks. Very few people do that repair anymore, and it's tough to get parts.

I can't imagine wearing something that costs $2 million +. I'd break the damned thing. It's pretty though. But for me it would be putting bells on a plow horse.

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Finally got to watch the video. Stunning, but I'd be afraid to wear it. I'm sure it's meant more as a collector's piece.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I do want to know more about old brands of Patek Phillippe watches....

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join