It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Tools for Resolving Conflict in the Workplace, with Customers and in Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'm not even sure if this is the right forum to post this but, it does involve people in general.

Often times l find myself in the midst of individuals or someone that has an issue (work place) that will not for unknown reasons come forward and speak about what it is and why they or their having a bad day or poor attitude.

Whether the issue involves a coworker or a member of management (of which I am part) that has displayed or displeased someone through their inaction or actions, identifying the cause of the problem without receiving input is difficult.

What I'm beginning to do is try too identify and facilitate meaningful discussion and constructive methods to help me be a better manager and overall active listener and responder.

Upon arriving at this, l figured that not only would understanding conflict help me at work but, in life in general.

In order for me to be able to use conflict management as a tool for understanding and mediating, l have to understand what it is and does and apply it to myself first.

Any who, here are a few things we can do to better understand others, and actively mediate and manage conflict.

If anyone would like to add their experiences and or tools and techniques feel free. Share your stories and results.

Source

Conflict happens. It is inevitable. It is going to happen whenever you have people with different expectations. This makes conflict management critical, whether avoiding arguments, disputes, lasting conflict or ultimately, litigation. Conflict can be avoided if steps are taken early in a discussion to diffuse anger and facilitate communication, and it can be resolved by applying a series of thoughtfully applied steps

edit on 20-10-2014 by Daedal because: edit

edit on 20-10-2014 by Daedal because: spelling

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

hahahaha i came here expecting to see 13 various firearms....I need an ats vacation maybe

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedal
Hmmmm, I read those as this:
Take Prozac and don't be an A-hole.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
After working in security the best approach to use is "What is the problem?". It shows you are listening and working towards understanding the situation. Even if the person is being an idiot, it allows them to vent and rant about their issues before moving on in a peaceful manner.

From the source: stay calm, focus on the problem and work towards what can be done is a lot more effective than getting worked up over what people done in the past. Sometimes we all need a little rant and let of steam, but when it is our job to keep the peace it can be a delicate job with a very fine line that does take a lot of practice and skill to get right.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev
There are a few things that l do already that are on the list. Of course there's much more to it than what's suggested but, it's a good starting point for me to begin understanding and become a better manager.

Thanks for the reply

top topics

join