It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amanda Bynes Marijuana and Schizophrenia

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Seems we agree. Not much more needs to be said!

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

My hypothetical example took care of all that, it was a hypothetical situation, which you refused to answer because you did not like the answer you would have to give.

It's not because I don't like the answer I would have to give, you can toss me any hypothetical scenario you want but that doesn't change the facts that there is 0 way to monitor a person who has the Schizophrenic gene to see if cannabis use is what caused the Schizophrenia to activate.

Let's try your hypothetical game than: Explain than how in your hypothetical scenario how you were able to determine cannabis is what triggered it?

In any one case you can not determine if pot was the cause (much like you can not claim cigarettes are the cause for lung cancer in a particular case), what you can do is determine pot is A cause for schizophrenia, in the same way you can determine cigarettes cause cancer.

What you can do is determine that people who develop schizophrenia who smoke/smoked cannabis had the gene to begin with so they were a ticking time bomb to develop schizophrenia.

This is all pretty basic stuff. You have to intentionally choose to be ignorant to remain so.

Your problem is that there is both a correlative and causative effect between smoking pot and schizophrenia, but you want to dismiss one and solely focus on the other.

I base my information on studies so yes I will remain ignorant to your "basic stuff" because your "basic stuff" has been proven wrong. Not sure what you base your information on. I'm going to stick with what scientists who have been studying the adverse health effects of recreational cannabis use for 20yrs instead of what you think, unless you have some better credentials than that.

Again, correlation is not causation.
What has research over the past two decades revealed about the adverse health effects of recreational cannabis use?

Schizophrenia and cannabis use may share common genes

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria

Let's try your hypothetical game than: Explain than how in your hypothetical scenario how you were able to determine cannabis is what triggered it?

Because in the hypothetical situation there are zero other differences. Pot use is the only difference.

You keep thinking recreational use has zero side effects.

In each case changes were seen that were directly related to how much cannabis was smoked.

The nucleus accumbens of cannabis users was unusually large, while the amygdala was deformed.

Professor Breiter said: ‘Some of these people only used marijuana to get high once or twice a week.

‘People think a little recreational use shouldn’t cause a problem, if someone is doing OK with work or school. Our data directly says this is not the case.’

You are wrong, and every single bit as bad as the government propaganda, two sides of the same coin.

Also, from YOUR source ...

Regular cannabis use in adolescence approximately doubles the risks of early school-leaving and of cognitive impairment and psychoses in adulthood.

Thanks for playing.
edit on 12-10-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight
a reply to: wantsome

Actually no.. It's 2x as likely that someone who smoke marijuana will have schizophrenia than regular population. However People with Schizophrenia are more likely to smoke marijuana and in heavier doses..

I think the link goes the other way. You have to be predisposed to the disorder, not the other way around.

Remember just because two things are found with each other doesn't mean one causes the other or that they are even directly related at all.

So true.. one doesn't cause the other at all. Also have you read about the list of pharms and other substances Amanda Bynes has been taking along with marijuana? Xanax, adderall, anti-psychotics and alcohol (1 and 2) among many others probably not known or listed. How do you think those substances mix with the psyche of someone who already has schizo tendencies?

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Even moderate smoking can lead to brain damage.

Do your research. Many studies have proven the opposite and show that weed actually helps to "lubricate" and feed the brain in many ways that nothing else can, and in fact it's been show that newborns arrive with cannabinoid receptors in most of the major organs particularly the brain.

Also the ancient chinese pharmaca records from thousands of years ago refer to marijuana as "the great herbal", and they list it as a panacea and among it's many uses was prescribed for absent mindedness or scatterbrain tendencies.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Just to give my two cents here, I am all grown up now, I guess you could call me an older lady. I smoked dope my entire younger life. Loved to relax after a long day. I never hurt anyone or even thought about it while using. I never heard voices or freaked out while using. I enjoyed dope more then booze which is man made not god made. I have no schizophrenia disease and to say that using weed is what caused that disease is not right. Maybe someone sprayed the dope, while it was growing with something, and people who are sick smoked that weed, I don't know just saying maybe.

Don't blame weed for diseases unless you can prove it. False claims is what has scared people from legalizing it.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: kronos11

Even moderate smoking can lead to brain damage.

Do your research. Many studies have proven the opposite and show that weed actually helps to "lubricate" and feed the brain in many ways that nothing else can, and in fact it's been show that newborns arrive with cannabinoid receptors in most of the major organs particularly the brain.

Also the ancient chinese pharmaca records from thousands of years ago refer to marijuana as "the great herbal", and they list it as a panacea and among it's many uses was prescribed for absent mindedness or scatterbrain tendencies.

I linked to the research. How about you do yours? Maybe you can explain the brain images that showed damage to core brain structures in those who smoked pot casually. So, what is your explanation?

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Because in the hypothetical situation there are zero other differences. Pot use is the only difference.

You keep thinking recreational use has zero side effects.

Funny how when you have lost the argument because you were proven wrong with facts, you change the debate over from schizophrenia to damage that is done to recreational users and pretend that is what we were debating all along. *roll eyes*

I also do not think there is 0 negative effects for recreational users, if you believe I do, you clearly did not read the article about the 20yrs study.

You are wrong, and every single bit as bad as the government propaganda, two sides of the same coin.

First you say I am wrong because you believe cannabis triggers schizophrenia, even when there is 0 proof that it does so. I provide you with evidence that it does not and again reiterate the fact that there is 0 proof because you can not do a proper control study unless it is hypothetical. (Which we all know, just because because you have a hypothesis doesn't mean you are right.) Then you get mad and change the subject and try to pretend that is what we were debating the entire time. That is every single bit as bad as people who spread disinformation online, two sides of the same coin.

Thanks for playing.

Your welcome, maybe next time, if you have the right information, you will be the winner of the "game".

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

I have literally no idea what that rambling was about. There is evidence for pot to trigger schizophrenia, there is literally zero evidence that proves it does not.

Is it proven in the same way tobacco causes cancer is proven? Nope, not enough research has been done, right now the research is in the beginning stages. The evidence we have swings that way though, and I posted the evidence.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
While I do not have anything to gain by its legalisation, I believe marijuana should be made legal. Why? Because people should have the right to use marijuana if they choose to. It should be legalised and have a warning label on every package to warn people of possible side affects. It should only be sold to persons 18 years and over.

If marijuana is worthy of being banned, then so should alcohol. FAR more problems have been caused by intoxication than from people getting high.
edit on 13/10/2014 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Apparently Harvard disagrees with your idea... and this published in 2013!

According to their studies a more likely cause is “The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself,” note the researchers.
Argue with them I suppose. Case closed for me.

psychcentral.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Correlation does not mean causation. In fact, it's more the other way around. People with mental illnesses are more likely to use substances like marijuana as a form of self medication. They already have the illness. Marijuana does not cause it. Rather, people with mental illness will seek it and other mind affecting substances to get relief from their illness.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Opportunity
Apparently Harvard disagrees with your idea... and this published in 2013!

According to their studies a more likely cause is “The results of the current study suggest that having an increased familial morbid risk for schizophrenia may be the underlying basis for schizophrenia in cannabis users and not cannabis use by itself,” note the researchers.
Argue with them I suppose. Case closed for me.

psychcentral.com...

Key words. "May be". As in the study does not say that is the case, only that it's a possibility. That in no way contradicts anything I said.

Or maybe I missed it and they said somewhere "This proves marijuana plays no role at all." Can you highlight that for me?

ETA: Even if we forget Marijuana being a causal agent for schizophrenia (which no study shows it is not), it will still impact the onset (earlier) and severity (greater) of the schizophrenia.
edit on 13-10-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

This website you linked has biased written all over it. Anyone can do a quick google search and find what they wanna read. Have you even clicked on half the links that were linked on that website? I did and a bunch of them go to some random websites that have nothing to do with this topic.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I'm thinking, who cares?

High Fructose Corn Syrup (in literally everything) will contribute to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of useful idiots this year (via heart disease, diabetes, etc), dwarfing any drug, including heroin prescription opiates.

Thousands of products containing HFCS will be marketed this year with words like "Healthy," "Natural," and "Reduced Fat," in products that were never intended to be sweet in the first place.

The whole structure of our civilization is built on hypocrisy and stupidity. We are literally scared of the spider, while embracing the tiger.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's very telling in this thread that all the people who agree with the OP post just personal anecdotes and stories, while all the people who disagree, post proof and studies that support their points. Analyze your position, just because YOU'VE experienced something and/or saw your friends go through something, doesn't make it a pattern for the whole population.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join