It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember that company that was involved in 3D Printed guns?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Just remember that certain tolerances in moving parts that are extremely tight, can enhance accuracy. But they also tend to reduce reliability...

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockn82
If you purchase an 80% lower and mill it yourself you do not need a serial number. If you purchase a complete lower you have to have a serial number and the people you purchase it from must have an FFL. If this was to catch on anybody could have unlisted weapons as long as they don't change hands.

The first sentence is correct. Making your own receiver from something that it not technically a firearm, is legal, and does not have to be serialized. But you can never sell or give it away....

As for the second sentence, there are many legal ways to buy a complete lower, depending on your state, and the seller does not necessarily have to have an FFL. If they do have an FFL, then you would need to complete a 4473 and have a BG check done. But, buying a complete lower from an individual without the aforementioned, is legal in most states...

As for the last statement, many, many guns change hands multiple times! And, even though they are serialized and if necessary, law enforcement could begin with the manufacturer, when attempting to locate the owner of a certain weapon, the chances of them doing so, with a vast number of guns, is next to impossible. SO...There already exist hundreds of thousands, if not more guns in the US, that effectively are "unlisted"...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What gets me is this: How would they know if it changed hands in the first place? What's stopping joe from giving one to cousin bob, and if asked, bob says he made it himself? No way to prove otherwise really. It's one of those useless feel-good laws that don't really accomplish anything.

I guess the same can be said about registration too. It does nothing to solve crimes, so what is it really for? Canada experimented with a long gun registry, throughout the whole experiment it solved a grand total of zero crimes. It was deemed a huge waste of resources and canned.
edit on Tue, 07 Oct 2014 12:48:24 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Exactly! One of the many things that out-of-touch law makers fail to consider, is that criminals are constantly honing their craft. With every new law, and subsequently every new arrest, they learn more and more ways to circumvent the system!

As for your analogy regarding passing around a non-serialized firearm? Unless they were watching you, the only ones that would know, would be, you, the person you gave it to, and anyone either of you told... But that isn't the point! Breaking a law, even a ridiculous law, is still a crime, even if you aren't caught! And, that lowers you to their level!

Fight the ridiculous part, the right way. With your vote and your activism. I'm sure that many gun owners have signed numerous petitions, regarding the second amendment. I know that I have. But, how many are actively following those documents, and speaking directly with their representatives? How many of you take the time to discuss these issues with anyone who will listen? Most anti-gun people are just normal folks, who have been misled or simply don't understand the full ramifications of their position!

Take a few minutes and write a status, or talk to someone who would entertain reason, about your beliefs! You never know? You just might increase the pro-gun populace!

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: GoOfYFoOt
I used to write and email my "reps" a lot, if they even bothered sending a response, it was always a BS, generic, canned response that said a lot of nothing. So I stopped bothering.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join