It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food stamps coming to the UK

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

So you are going to allow the vast majority of deserved benefits claimants, who have probably never been on a holiday as long as they have claimed benefits, to suffer, because a few people in your eyes are abusing the system?

How do you even know their benefits paid for the holiday? Maybe family members paid for them? Sure there are those who do abuse the system, but you don't know the full circumstances so quit judging everyone based on your ignorance.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
I wonder if IBS has looked into the fact that sudden withdrawal of Alcohol from a Alcoholic can and does Kill. He probably sits stroking his cat at the prospect of another bit of "Stock" in the ground and off the books.

Its one less claimant on the books in his eyes. So yeah I am sure he is aware.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

What about those on benefits because they cannot work for health/disability or other reasons? These are the people who will be hit the hardest, as usual, and these are those least able to fight back and the people that very few people in society give a # about.
edit on 1-10-2014 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Firefly_

So you are going to allow the vast majority of deserved benefits claimants, who have probably never been on a holiday as long as they have claimed benefits, to suffer, because a few people in your eyes are abusing the system?

I am not I a position to allow anything ... just speaking from my own

personal experience and cases I personally know of!

How do you even know their benefits paid for the holiday? Maybe family members paid for them? Sure there are those who do abuse the system, but you don't know the full circumstances so quit judging everyone based on your ignorance.

As I said above from my own experience from "the horses mouth" and no

not based on ignorance. It often surprises me how open some people can

be .... I believe that during the war it was often referred to as "loose lips

sink ships"

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

What about those on benefits because they cannot work for health/disability or other reasons? These are the people who will be hit the hardest, as usual, and these are those least able to fight back and the people that very few people in society give a # about.

If you GENUINELY are unable to work then yes you should be provided for and as a member of the community I am more than happy to chip in my part so that these people are assisted in as many ways as is needed, whether that be physical care or mental care or counselling etc etc and yes they should be given money so that they can lead a decent quality of life. I will be the first to put my hand up and say we should all pitch in and support these people. If it was me or someone I loved I would want to know I wouldnt be forced out on the streets or slip through the cracks in anyway.

How many people who currently recieve benefits do you think fit into this category?
I say the answer is somewhere between hardly any and bugger all

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: mr-lizard

Can you give me a sincere reason why an unemployed person should shop were the government tells them to shop?

How about because its the gov who is giving them the money?
How about because tax payers (the ones who give the gov the money to give to these people) want to know its not being spent on booze or down the pokies/slot machine/fruit machines?
How about because its an incentive to get off your ass and find work so you dont have to answer to anyone how you spend your EARNED money?
How about because it is a way of ensuring the money stays in circulation and keeps the local economy ticking over as opposed to being buried in the backyard of some drug dealer?

I could keep going but I wont.

Maybe you could tell me why the Gov should give any money at all to those who are fully capable of working?
So far the only reason Ive heard is that by giving these people hand outs you in theory stop them from committing crimes, to me that almost seems like bribery or paying tribute.
The Romans paid off the Vandals and Goths to keep them from running amok, to be honest thats basically what this seems like "here take this pittance, we dont want anything in return just dont cause any trouble"

Welfare to people who are capable of providing for themselves helps absolutely no one, least of all the person receiving it

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I know of many people, and personally know others who are rightfully entitled to and claiming benefits. Sure, I also know people who are not and are playing the system, but they are in the minority (and have been given enough rope to hang themselves with, but that's not for here).

Life can be pretty brutal. Sure, a large proportion of people have relatively good health and are able to live relatively comfortable and productive lives. But that leaves a small proportion but still a large number of people who have varying degrees of sickness and/or disability that impact on their lives in many different ways. To someone who gives a # what you think, your outright ignorant comment could be devastating to them. Let's hope nobody does. "Hardly any" my ass. You really do not have a clue do you?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Firefly_

Id say I have a pretty good idea considering Ive done quite a bit of vocational training.
And yes life can be brutal, just ask the man I worked with 8 years ago who became a quadriplegic after diving into a shallow river. Couldnt move anything below his neck, he now works as a customer service rep in a call centre.
You may even like to ask the lady who after 5 years of being locked up (literally kept prisoner) and physically, mentally and sexually abused by her boyfriend, managed to escape and after 18 months of intensive therapy to get her over cowering in fear whenever she saw a man is now working as an assistant manager at a pick and pack warehouse.
I could go on but you get the point Im sure

Once again to anyone who for whatever reason thinks they are unable, GENUINELY unable to work and provide for themselves I have not only sympathy but more importantly a desire to help.
To any non lazy fecker taking handouts is demoralising, to see and actually help people who felt or were told they were unemployable be able to provide for themselves again and have if not a sense of purpose at least something to do is one of the most rewarding experiences Ive ever felt and the change you see in these people is nothing short of remarkable.

The actual % of people who are unemployable is miniscule, you basically need to be in a vegatative state.
The issue isnt that they are unemployable its that they are lazy or unaware of the options/opportunities available to them.
The only other semi valid reason people have for not working is that there arent jobs in their town, literally none.
In that case you either need to move or think outside the box and create something.

Perhaps its you who doesnt have a clue?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

Id say I have a pretty good idea considering Ive done quite a bit of vocational training.
And yes life can be brutal, just ask the man I worked with 8 years ago who became a quadriplegic after diving into a shallow river. Couldnt move anything below his neck, he now works as a customer service rep in a call centre.

Really, Seriously...how does he do this job being a quadriplegic... Does he throw his life support machine in the boot of the car as he makes his way to work everyday...I call BS or a Miracle.

edit on 1-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I would understand if this was directed at addicts who ask for help, however a high percentage of addicts are on sick and or disabilty benefits, it seems they will be exempt from having a smart card.

There really is something wrong with our world..........

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eccentriclady

I would understand if this was directed at addicts who ask for help, however a high percentage of addicts are on sick and or disabilty benefits, it seems they will be exempt from having a smart card.

There really is something wrong with our world..........

Look on the bright side most wont reach pension age...Save the country a fortune in the long run.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol I would willingly support any addict who did their utmost to beat the addiction, those who wallow in it are a different matter. Must stop there as i am sure the reply i almost wrote would offend. A sick and twisted sense of humor lurks deep within

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Really, Seriously...how does he do this job being a quadriplegic... Does he throw his life support machine in the boot of the car as he makes his way to work everyday...I call BS or a Miracle

He has his family as well as a government supplied full time carer who drives him around.
At work he uses a headset and a machine that reads his eye movements and a straw he manipulates with his mouth to control his phone.
Very expensive equipment but worth every penny as it genuinely improves his quality of life and he loves what he does.

He was a painter before his accident

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Technically, if Family members paid for a holiday they would have to declare that as a gift to the Benefit people.

Anyhoo, I don't really see why there is such indignation about these proposed cards. The State provides cash to those who need it to cover living expenses while they are out of work, not so they can use the money as they see fit to buy drink, drugs, holidays or what have you.

I also don't buy that there will be a wholesale blackmarket of people flogging their cards to unscrupulous corner shop owners or what have you - these cards will be in the form of the pre-paid Mastercards/Visa's you can get which will have pin numbers and be associated with the person claiming.

Any sale of that card would be useless, unless they gave up the pin number and even then, what is the buyer going to do with it apart from buy food or clothing? Not to mention that the recipient will then have to get a new card sent out and if they keep requesting new ones, they will likely be investigated. After all, you don't get people selling their debit/credit cards, do you? Why would this be any different?

It's also for this reason there won't be any "shame" for using these cards - for all intents and purposes it will look like a normal debit card to the shopkeeper.

Just seems like a lot of hullabaloo over nothing, this thread...

JAK

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: NeoSpace

I would be embarrassed handing over one of those cards at the supermarket.

Oh dear. Accident. Honest.

#Shame to claim - a new slogan for the right.

originally posted by: KingIcarus
I agree that this might be a solution for particularly irresponsible benefit claimants, but certainly not for all.

There are no divisions within the ranks of the Great Unenjoyed. Scroungers, every one. You cannot effectively demonise an entire group of unknown people and have sympathy at the same time. Haven't you been paying attention. Check out Benefit Street and it's kin.

If i saw anyone at my corner store pulling this stunt i would...well lets just say it would be the last time they would be taking advantage of the Poor. at the very least they would be under citizens arrest. Just as bad as a Loan shark in my opinion.

Loan Sharks are a thing of the past thanks to the modern banking system. I know it's so because I saw Niall Ferguson walking about an estate in Scotland telling us so and how bloody thankful we should be that extortionate loans are now nothing more than a sad memory of tragic times.

originally posted by: KROandSOTV
Its not shameful to have been made redundant ands its not shameful to draw the dole.

I have to live on benefits due to lung cancer which i got in early 2012 now having part of my left lung removed and bottom right lobe removed i cant even walk to the front door with out it feeling like i have run a marathon.

IDS is a CLINT i had to wait 2yrs 2months before i was put on esa because of the so called backlog and ATOS saying that lung cancer does not stop you from working(well it does if your trade is a carpenter and no one will employ you because of cancer).

Never happened. Stories like this are pure fiction by left-wingers to make the current administration look bad. Just like the fabricated food-bank articles.

Maybe if the parents weren't on low incomes in the first place and i'm talking about working parents here also, then we wouldn't need FREE School meals for the low income families in the first place.

Communist.

originally posted by: sarra1833
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Of course there should be no shame.

A person HAS to eat O_O

See above.

If enough people vote to elect these monsters, and the Tories are re-elected, then this country fully deserves to burn.

Does tend to happen under blue skies. Coincidence I'm sure.

a reply to: eletheia

How is it known? Saw in on telly, in the Mail. The ultimate pixoritdidnthappen. I see pix, was told XYZ in caption. So true.

Its one less claimant on the books in his eyes. So yeah I am sure he is aware.

A win is a win.

That's the point. After such a prolonged attack in the media what voice is there? Bleeding heart liberals? The voice of the great unwashed themselves? Perhaps, but no one who really matters.

Look on the bright side most wont reach pension age...Save the country a fortune in the long run.

That's the spirit! Never tasted champagne so sweet as when watching Dennis Skinner The (broken) Beast of whuteva...

I doubt any of you know the system at all. Here: You leave work. Go in. Sign name. Munny Plox. Job done! (Well, not really)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

Really, Seriously...how does he do this job being a quadriplegic... Does he throw his life support machine in the boot of the car as he makes his way to work everyday...I call BS or a Miracle

He has his family as well as a government supplied full time carer who drives him around.
At work he uses a headset and a machine that reads his eye movements and a straw he manipulates with his mouth to control his phone.
Very expensive equipment but worth every penny as it genuinely improves his quality of life and he loves what he does.

He was a painter before his accident

Still not buying it....If he broke his neck, i take it that's why he's Quadriplegic, then how does his lungs work.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Just seems like a lot of hullabaloo over nothing, this thread...

But you just had to post your words of wisdom anyway..Now away and start your own thread about how you cried into yer Rice krispies when Maggie popped her clogs.
edit on 1-10-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Ah, Solo, I can always rely on your for well thought out responses..

Cheers!

Seriously though, no I won't "go away" just because you dislike what I have to say. Perhaps you should have an adult debate instead of your usual immature bollocks?

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

£72pw? my brother and a few friends live on £53pw AND pay bills out of it.

if it wasn't for my son and dog, i would happily put a bullet in his head.

edit on 59Wednesday40ppAmerica/Chicago14059 by slippeddisc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Still not buying it....If he broke his neck, i take it that's why he's Quadriplegic, then how does his lungs work.

I have no idea

All I know is the dude was of very sound mind and had a desire to stay active and support himself.
Whether you buy it or not its irrelevant, Its a reality

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join