It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scorpion... Anyone else digging it so far? (Spoilers)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Scorpion (stylized as ) is an American drama television series loosely based on the life of self-proclaimed genius and computer expert Walter O'Brien. In the series, O'Brien recruits other geniuses to help solve complex, global problems.

I have to say so far this is the standout among the new series of 2014. If you haven't seen it yet, do so.

WARNING: Spoilers Below. You have been warned.

The characters are well-developed and believable despite their ultra high IQs, and the show has a very good pace that really keeps you interested. The first episode really jumped out of the blocks, and the second is just keeping the flow going. The second episode really explored the inside of workings of each of the main character's minds, and opened up Agent Gallo (played by Robert Patrick, good call IMO) on a personal level, despite him being a typified hard nosed agent at first glance.

About the only thing so far that seems a little tacked on is Paige and her son Ralph. I get the whole genius kid angle, it just seems to me she has no real place to drive the plot forward other than a possible love interest down the track. There again, the inclusion of 'normal' Jack Carter in the Eureka series lent a more human angle when surrounded by geniuses too, and that worked out pretty well for that series.

A few of the scenes were a little far fetched, especially the Ferrari chasing the Jumbo Jet while trying to attach a network cable to a laptop. I thought about opening a thread discussing if that scene could work or the speed would be too low and the jet would crash, especially at that speed and height.

Anyone else finding this series good so far? Comments and critiques welcome.

edit on 30/9/2014 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I have watched the pilot and show 2. I liked what I see so far.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Thanks a lot for bringing this to my attention, it looks exactly like my type of show. I didn't read much of your thread, I didn't even finish watching the full trailer because I don't want to spoil too much of the show.
edit on 30/9/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: 74Templar

Did you see the reviews for the show on IMBd? There's a lot of people who give it only 1 star, which is disappointing because I personally thought the show was is great.

It's sad though to see a show with a lot of potential to be rated so negatively based on the Pilot alone. Must be a lot of unintelligent people these days that just simply can't keep up with the pace of the show.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMark

I did see that. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a pretty poor review too.

I usually try to give a new show a few episodes before deciding whether it's worth a watch. Very few have you wanting more by the first episode, but this did.

Having said that, it will likely get one season and then get canned as all good shows do.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I was in my garage having a cigarrette and I happen to catch the beginning of the show, I was hooked and ended up watching the whole thing. I don't know if I can work it in with all my other shows though, perhaps I will PVR it and come back to it.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
As I said in the other thread, about all the new shows, I'm concerned. Because I really like this show, even with some of the "far fetched" themes. And for some reason, shows I really like seem to disappear after one season.

I really like the genius son part, and it looks like next week they may be delving into that more?

Fingers crossed it sticks around.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: 74Templar
a reply to: TheProphetMark

I did see that. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a pretty poor review too.

I just watched the pilot episode and I'd give it a 8 or 9 out of 10. It has a good mix of problem solving, action, and romance. A lot of the negative reviews seem to be from people who have issues with the realism of the flight emergency situation in the pilot episode, but I don't think it needs to be exactly correct for it to be a good show. But I think most of the negative reviews come from the people who watch stupid reality tv shows and that sort of crap. Unfortunately intelligent shows never really seem to last long because the masses would rather watch brain numbing nonsense which doesn't require them to think.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

the entire premise of the pilot is utter bollox - and that's the polite version

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I have it on DVR, but haven't sat down to watch it yet. The wife says I'd really like it (she watched it air), and it seems like I'll have time to catch up tonight.

Spoilers or no, thanks for the review.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I like it so far. Which is more than I can say for that visual abortion called "Gotham".

I do agree that Scorpion is a bit over-the-top but so far the characters seem solid and the story gripping. I look forward to next weeks episode.
edit on Cpm12Tuesday0520140830Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:05:08 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: cannot abide a typo

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

actually, if its getting bad reviews that might mean its actually good. lol.

I had never heard of this show, might just watch it and see for myself!

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I think in regards to scenes like that you need to have an 'entertainment disconnect.'

I think writers tend to blur reality with fiction quite a bit, hoping the laymen will not be 100% sure on whether it would work or not, and put enough facts with enough BS that the experts will shrug it off as entertainment.

I mean there'd be no way someone could stand on landing gear at 300+ kms/hour while trying to dangle a cord to a speeding car below. The cord would be whipping everywhere, and the guy would have to be strapped in or be blown off with that much wind coming at him. Problem is I'm not an expert in either, so it is possible it could work. At the end of the day, like the car that rolls over and mysteriously explodes, you just have to go 'ok, that's just entertainment.'

If that's all people are complaining about they should go back to watching reality shows lol.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I liked it right off the bat -- it reminded me of Leverage

The IMDB haters are the ones who forget tv shows aren't reality. Although I did question in the pilot why the plane could fly 8 ft above the car, but not simply land on the empty runway. Then you know what I did? I said awesome car and shrugged it off as a tv show lol

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   

I think the thing with writers is that they aren't experts. They are just writers of fiction ya know? They look up all they can, and try and fit it in with the story line.. but they aren't that worried about technical accuracy, since it is fiction after all.

And yes, you must have an entertainment disconnect... I don't watch fiction in order to learn something, I watch it knowing that its not going to be perfectly accurate, hence the fiction part!

new topics

top topics

join