It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is more of a rant, but I'm over 50 and back in school to get certified to cook in hospitals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Your education is basically a little bit of paper that says;
"This dullard (not you op btw) wen't through a course to teach them how not to slice of ones finger, not remove their scalp by mistaking a blender as a cap, not to contaminate a small town - either by poor food handling skills by accident or extra sauce on purpose, not to cook with all of the rhubarb etc. etc. etc. and therefore your lawsuit against us is invalid".

It's basically employers covering their backsides.
Turn's out the worst food in the food industry is indeed the bottom dwelling crustaceans also known as lawyers.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: anxietydisorder

Between some of your fellow classmates...and what you will learn to do to food.....I hope you don't lose your appetite or your cool.

Good luck getting certified....and getting a JOB!

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
"I have skills in a kitchen. Hell, I can eviscerate an entire cow with one harsh look." KIndly avert your eyes sir, lol 'shivers'

You have vast amounts of wisdom and knowledge and for the sake of a piece of paper are forced to return to kindergarten. Has to be frustrating. What is needed is a way to 'test out'. What can I say, you gotta do what you gotta do, keep your eyes on the prize.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Blame the Boomers, 75% of todays jobs are fabricated BS, 75% of University courses are BS, anyone can learn online at their own speeds now.That Generation had to CREATE enough jobs for everyone,it was a mess.

Dr.s in the past required top notch memories and text books,today we have computers and google,anyone can do 75% of a GPs job themselves at home.Anyone can google medications and make informed decisions now.

A mechanic who used to be able to fleece people daily is now screwed because anyone can log on and watch a video telling them exactly how to do 2000 dollars worth of work themselves in an afternoon.

The value attatched to education is fast being eroded and it is about time,people need to be paid equally for their time not some BS education none of them need.

Good luck, anyone your age or in their mid to late 40s is in the same boat,those people were screwed by Boomers who refused to retire and who transitioned from government and private sector jobs in the 80s and 90s to become entrepeneaurs ,thereby screwing their kids into being fast food employees and forcing and keeping them out of the business world.Now kids who are in their early 20s are being given high end jobs while older people who should already be in those positions are left out in the cold.The Boomers established themselves and then invented this nifty trap for their own children called Credit Reporting agencies,this crippled GENERATIONS of young people who were screwed for life by the Banks,while their parents made good without this trap.

No one considers how people in their 40s and 50s feel being surrounded by a record number a disproportionate number of cotton-tops ,it is rediculous really,everywhere you go you are surrounded by ageing Boomers,it is sad really,no kids playing in parks nothing but old people everywhere trying to live to be 110.In Canada all you see is old Caucsion people and hoards of immigrants to Canada with 3-4 kids each setteling in ,we have Immigrant worker laws because most of the business owners in Canada are Boomers who are used to screwing their own kids into working for a below living wage minimum wage they engineered to keep generations crippled fiscally so they could thrive themselves.Instead of paying their employees a living wage as per Canadian standards they want to import workers who will work for less money.This dynamic is supported by the crooked banks who coerced to screw GENERATIONS OF CANADIANS.Banks in Candada OFFER new Canadians with a clean credit record a CREDIT CARD--A NEW CAR LOAN--and a HOUSE MORGTAGE...........as soon as they get to Canada so they will be ABLE TO LIVE ON MINIMUM WAGES AND STILL GET AHEAD........these are the very things...credit cards,loans and morgteges they used to SCREW their own kids over several generations not teaching them about credit freely giving it, then inventing credit reporting agencies to double screw these people with inflated interest rates forcing them into servitude to the Banks,now they want to bring in thousands and thousands of new immigrants and immeditly give them ALL the advntages including fiscal education which they INTENTIONALLY denied their own kids,it is sickening.

Good luck I am moving OUT of my City because it is turning into one huge Old Age home,and is being flooded with Immigrants who will work for peanuts with the help of the banks.

I do not plan on helping the Boomers,they better take care of the immigrant workers they are bringinng in because I sure as heck am not helping them after how they sunk my country for their own benefits.They wouldnt pay me and my generation so they could hord money and power now they can be fleeced by immigrant workers,maybe it is karma.

We will hand Canada over to new people because our parents have screwed Canada for their children,we will be assimilated and forced into servitude as new Canadians soak up all of the Boomers savings before their kids are given anything to build their own futures upon,then work with the banks to build themselves futures just like the Boomers did,but they will NOT do it on my back like my Parents generation did.

The Boomer generation has been a shame,a bloody shame.And no one hs the cojones to tell them so and even if they did nothing can be done now.

There are entire generations of North Americans who have been suppressed and abused and forced into servitude to the banks and it IS NOT the Boomers,they are the causality of the dynamic.

Yes the courses are redundant and useless because they were designed to be....who do you think earns money from all of the useless schools nd colleges all over the place? Boomers thats who the old coots own everything and the crazy part is that a VERY SMALL % of the Boomers own nearly everything....they even screwed each other because now the majority of them are broke or barely floating in their Golden years BECAUSE they did not fight the wrongs they were to busy participting themselves....they didnt see how a very few of their own were actually useing them as well,only now is the true story being seen as millions of Boomers are unprepred for retirement while a select few are FILTHY RICH AND FIGHTING TOOTH AND NAIL TO GET RICHER.

I already speak basic Mandarin, who in their right mind would not see the truth for what it is,we were all SOLD OUT BY THE BOOMER GENERATION....they BROKE the systems their parents built , they destroyed everything they touched and are now in the process of selling out an entire countries future from right under their own children.

If I were living in another country I would be heading to north america to CASH in on the stupidity of the Boomers,why not,they set the table for the dynamic to happen,for their children to be feasted upon.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
We had a temporary replacement come in about six months ago. Person with experience in restaurants, but first time in a hospital.

We also do the cooking for a nearby retirement home. This person had to purée some vegetables once and did not do it long enough. There was a small lump in it. A woman almost died because of that lump. She choked on it.

If someone crushes their garlic instead of mixing it, or pressing it, then they can't be working in a hospital or retirement home.

These courses are not unecessary.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I've been right there myself going through a computer class for certification. Just hang in there buddy, it will all be done soon enough.

What might help is something I started doing which helped keep my attention to something other than being completely bored was to help the other students learn not just what is being taught but more advanced stuff as well. It helps them and will keep you occupied. Hopefully your teacher approves as mine did, or you might end up being in trouble for it. Hopefully the teacher sees you as a positive thing rather than a problem. If not, you may just have to suck it up, get that cert. and be on your way.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

WOW....

I had a little rant about learning new skills to cook in hospitals, but you had an entire tirade about a generation that happened during my parent's fertile period. I hope you have some sense of relief after hammering all that out.

Yes, I'm a "Boomer", at the tail end of the baby boom, but yes, I will take a bit of responsibility for the world you are now living in.

My generation created the computers you use, all the cars on the roads that we built. People in my family are responsible for some of the ships that transport goods around the world, the launch systems that put satellites in orbit for you to get weather forecasts and accurate navigation. Unique genetic models of mice were created by my uncle to study certain diseases that have plagued humanity for all time. We have sat and plotted about how we could best screw the next generation by manipulating crops to produce enough food to feed the 7 billion people we made during that whole free love thing everyone enjoyed.

I have no pride in the wars fought during my lifetime, so many deaths, but you have the freedom to communicate with me today because men died fighting for the freedoms you enjoy today. Those men were the "cotton tops" you were mentioning. Men in my family, uncles I never met because they died in wars I only read about.

I'll give you a little fact because you seem so fond of slamming down numbers like 75%, which becomes meaningless when it's not accurate.

The median age of Canadians is about 40.5, and the life expectancy is 81.25.

There's a lot more people younger than I am in this country than there are people older than me. I don't know when we pass the torch, but you better get off your ass and start changing things to the way you want them because my generation is heading for the exit door.

I'm so sorry you think we screwed it all up for you, but at least we left you with a job to do, fixing it all. Please wipe my bum before you leave, and I'd like the pudding after I finish my mashed carrots.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Just another speed bump. Hang in there and gut it out.

I'm sure you'll do fine.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join