It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is more of a rant, but I'm over 50 and back in school to get certified to cook in hospitals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I'm finding this so frustrating because the material and practical is so far below my skill level, but I want to stay in the city, and I need the rubber stamp to cook where I want.

I've cooked for the military in Canada at HMCS Quadra, CFB Esquimalt, CFB Comox, plus doing my time on ships. I was the only cook at the Northern Alberta Burst Test Facility when the Scots wanted to explode pressurized 52" pipe, so I can even feed a bunch of engineers and scientists in an underground bunker when the job calls for it. I've cooked on oil rigs, in camps, and construction sites in the arctic.

I have skills in a kitchen. Hell, I can eviscerate an entire cow with one harsh look.

So far in my new course I've learned how to wash my hands, the proper use of gloves, and how to sanitize a cutting board. Chopping onions to the specified size was a bit tough because they seem very particular about the size of things, and steaming kale is brutal because we needed to use a very small amount of garlic and sage.

I know we'll be going through portion control, special dietary needs, allergens, etc..., but I really don't know if I can put up with the pedantic pace the class is moving at. I cringe when that lady at the next station asks a question because there is always a follow-up question, she never understands an answer.

Shoot me now, or the next meal you eat at a nursing home or hospital might come from the pan of a flabbergasted cook.

I'm done with my rant now, please don't pass the salt, it's not allowed.
edit on 27/9/2014 by anxietydisorder because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/9/2014 by anxietydisorder because: My title was too long

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: anxietydisorder

I totally understand your frustration.

That is why I left the university studies, our modern way of learning really feels like an insult to the intelligence. Probably designed for the masses who can't work their own and have to get a permission, approval or guidance for every step they are taking.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
More and more, even the simplest tasks require what authorities call education. If you don't agree with all the BS they try to indoctrinate you, then you fail at life and can't work.

Having talents today is like having mishaps, especially if one of those talents is to be easily self-taught.

It's actually going to get worst and worst because people complain when someone after them is "skipping" steps. They act like eeeeveryone has to suffer trough the same ordeal in order to get what they have. The world would probably explode to oblivion if somehow, someone with less experience and less school would be better than them.

A system tailored for the least gifted where no one is left behind...well, where everyone is pulled back. That's how something positive like education has grown to become detrimental to a large part of the population.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I know how you feel, when I take certification classes after being a journeyman in the construction trade....

My favorite include, but not limited too are as follows:
-don't ever lean a ladder to use
- the right and wrong side of a hammer, I'm not kidding, they feel it's relevant even after billions of nails I've hammered
-how to properly bend and lift. My favorite, nothing's change on how to do this "special" maneuver. If you haven't learned the proper execution your first year, you have no business being in the trade.

My little rant over. Now, back on topic.

I was a gourmet chef for a few years, amazing pay too at 22$ an hour. Yet somehow they treat you like a complete $&@!ing moron even after training years. And you, as a cook in the military I would believe that you skills are great. They just want to put you through the ringer, and take you for every penny they can get.

Then again, some cooks just don't give a s$&@. Ever see the movie "Waiting?". So much truth to that, even in a ***** restaurant

Great rant, S&F,

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

So you got it easy...

People nowadays complaining they got it easy...?

Just look at it from the positive side and you feel a whole lot better, think about all the people who are having a hard time atm.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Your in a valley, but you rode down the mountain to be there, patience brings good things in the future. a reply to: anxietydisorder

edit on 27-9-2014 by Michaelfunction because: thought i spell it worng

edit on 27-9-2014 by Michaelfunction because: left out the

edit on 27-9-2014 by Michaelfunction because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2014 by Michaelfunction because: learning spelling and grammer

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
If you want this job, then you have to do what is required. Dietary needs are important. Diabetics have strict diets. Stroke patients cannot eat certain size pieces of food, due to pralysis of the throat; they could go into code blue, choking by inhaling it into the lungs. Arthritis patients have difficulty cutting food like meat.

I was in a hospital for months and the dining rules were strict. Each patient gets there own tray of food, they're allowed to have. Until you discover the fridge in the kitchen on your floor and start stealing sandwhiches.

You're feeding patients, staff and visitors in the dining room. Looked like a hectic busy job to me.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
My daughter got her first C a year or so ago and she knew that was unacceptable way before then. (Yeah... I know all of you are condemning commando mom. It's ok. I'll survive) I have always tried to make her aware that if she chooses to go to college that her tuition will have to be funded mostly by scholarships, because that's the reality and to get those scholarships, she would have to work hard and make the grades. I did not want her dreaming that mom and dad could provide (at the very least for what she wants to do) $40,000 a year minus living costs.

So (this was in high school) she finally bulls up and asks why a C is so bad. It's average she says... I asked her if she had any idea how far below average... average actually was these days.

And I think that's why you are having issues with the slow pace. Everyone now is just happy with average. They are happy with doing the absolute bare minimum in anything and everything they do. When they grow up... That doesn't change.

Average for this generation is far below average for previous generations. I'm not hating on them, I am stating the truth. And it's not their fault, it's the fault of those who raised them to be that way.

Not everyone can get the grades and some people do have a harder time learning for sure. I am in no way discounting that. What bothers me is that so many just don't even try sometimes. Get in and get out. There's not a lot that I appreciate more than someone really trying and putting forth effort. If my daughter's best was a D-, I would applaud her for maintaining that as long as she was trying her best and not just slipping by because anything more is too much effort.

Nobody loses and nobody fails and you are experiencing the results of that. In order for everyone to pass, the lessons are being taught in ways that the laziest of people can still scrape by while boring others out of their wits. You can pass, so they do not care about your opinion on the matter. All that matters is the comfort of those who are always looking for the easiest way out, and that is usually the way the lazy people take.

Good luck in your course. I hope you can stick with it without losing your sanity. It is hard to be patient in these events, but it will pay off for you. Just keep reminding yourself of that as you draaaaag along. It's hard to expect adults to pay attention and listen when they weren't ever taught to do it when they were younger. It's hard to expect them to work hard when they have never had to do it.

For those who will rush in to defend whoever you feel I have done an injustice to, I do already know that it's not ALL. It is enough though. You can not deny that in recent generations children have been pushed through school without a care for what they have or have not learned. Children are graduating every day that can not even read. That should be unacceptable. Many would be surprised to learn that when you expect more from your child, they have funny ways of coming through. The education system is failing many as are a any parents. But again... It's not all. I figured I would save some of you some time.
edit on 9/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Michaelfunction
Your in a valley but you road down the mountain to be there patience brings good things in future. a reply to: anxietydisorder

Yeah, until the guy with a Masters degree in criminal law, and a bachelors degree business, can't get a job and take his for $10.25 an hour. Sorry to be a negative nancy, but I do wish the best for the OP.

I think... Now I've had a drink or two so bare with me. They should change the age for driving, drinking, and working till 25 and allow the youngings to develope a intense and moral education, and allow the elder to sustain themselves better. It's a good thought, but we all know that the collective on earth will never let that happen. I had 50-60 year olds in every single class I took at UAA, just to weld, count money, sell shoes, or kiss asse. Sick, sick, sick.

If I can't afford to finish my college education, I could only imagine how it's even possible for a person 20+ years older than me with kids, mortgage , and pets to make that happen..?. I have a decent job, single, no pet, etc. I barely make it to work, then again I live in the middle of nowhere

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

edit on 2720140920141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Shuye

That's how I feel, it's an insult to my intelligence.

The lecturer is just spewing out information by rote, it's drone like, and the two teaching assistants hover around the kitchen correcting you. I crushed my garlic with the flat side of my blade to free the skin and started mincing it with the same knife, and I could have been flipping burgers, making a salad, and talking to my mother on the phone at the same time. But no, you can't mince the garlic cloves, there is a garlic press you need to use.

Same result, different method.

It's been over 35 years since I was last in a classroom, and I may be aged and not accustomed to having kids as teachers, but dammit, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

"Cut towards your chum, not towards your thumb" is a pretty solid rule for using sharp knives, but try to stick to that rule when you need to peel potatoes with a fillet or paring knife. We all cut towards our thumb. Also, maintaining certain temperatures to prevent the growth of bacteria is another fairly solid rule. Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold, but it's not written in stone.

I don't mean to sound cavalier, but most people that cook have all their fingers, and for some mysterious reason, Aunt Martha's potato salad won't kill you because it's been out of the fridge for more than four hours. Most of food safety is common sense, and if you lack that, get out of the kitchen.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

???

You can't leave a gal hanging Domo...

edit on 9/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Hello Anx..been a long time. I understand your frustration, and I know you have it in you to stick it out. You can do this buddy. It's a sad thing when the education system in any form caters and dictates to those they feel are clearly inferior in intellect, and if you display even an ounce of more intelligence, especially if it insults the instructor in any way, you lose brownie points instead of gaining. With all your experience, it's ridiculous you have to be subject to this, but again..I know you can do it. You have been through far worse than a tedious cooking class.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Hello- Perhaps this will help?

www.avantecenters.com Look at the job openings. They are always looking for a cook/dietary technician. The last 'cook' I sent over, a sous chef, now has Her own kitchen..
You'd have to re-locate to under the Mason-Dixon Line but We have hockey now, in fact One of the centers has a relationship w/One of the NHL™ teams..

Best of Luck

P.S. Here in Flori-Duh You don't need to add salt, You just ask the customer to lick their arms for the sweat

I like turtles.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Ok,ok I've heard enough mate.
from your last two posts you sound like the type of cook that definitely needs to be in that class, you dont understand the concept of cross contamination, I'm guessing HACCP doesn't exist where you are from, and you are not even willing to expand your knowledge as limited as it is in your field to better your self.
my old chef de cuisine would call guys like you cowboys.
See this is the difference between us chefs and you cooks, we used it as a skill, built a reputation and a career, you guys think the world owes you something and bounced from job to job.
my advice swallow the pride and take in what they are trying to teach you, it might save someones life.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
You may well have come across some of my family members based on where you've worked in the past.

I can understand how you feel in regards to the food courses, but in the end it sure leaves an impression if you're willing to absorb the material. Keep going at it, and good luck.
edit on V20145627September56Sat, 27 Sep 2014 09:56:16 -0500America/Chicago by VoidFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
Hello Anx..been a long time.

Hey AD, it has been a long time. After Country Soul died part of me died as well, and I just dropped off the face of the Earth for a while. It's taken a lot of time to get me to the point of going on with my life, and this course is part of that process.

It's nice to see familiar faces like you are still here at ATS, and I love your new avatar. Thanks so much for the encouraging words, and I'm sure we'll see each other around the boards a lot now that I've come out of my shell again.

Keep well my friend,
Anx...

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Your not the only one dude. A lot of drop outs know what is going on in the Uni or College system. You have to remember the owners of these schools no longer exists because they are deceased. It is control and divided in many courses so teachers can have their so called jobs.

There is so many unnecessary courses and they expect everyone to pass all the dam courses rather than teach the important stuff. It is a money making machine.
edit on 27-9-2014 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxietydisorder

originally posted by: AccessDenied
Hello Anx..been a long time.

Hey AD, it has been a long time. After Country Soul died part of me died as well, and I just dropped off the face of the Earth for a while. It's taken a lot of time to get me to the point of going on with my life, and this course is part of that process.

It's nice to see familiar faces like you are still here at ATS, and I love your new avatar. Thanks so much for the encouraging words, and I'm sure we'll see each other around the boards a lot now that I've come out of my shell again.

Keep well my friend,
Anx...

Always here if you need .

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Ugh. I cook in a hospital. I was not originally a cook though- I fell into this late in life, unexpectedly.
Having some experience making pizzas when a teen, I was taken in as a "commis" (I don't know if the same word is used in the US?- a cooks aid). But I found I liked the work, and having been a housewife and mother for many years, I had enough basic knowledge to catch on to things quickly and worked my way up to cook.

But some of my colleagues who have worked a long time in the restaurant business, I don't know how they can stand it!

You are so limited in creativity- you mustn't play with spices and herbs, make anything original or unexpected, the sanitary side of things is much more strict and time consuming, as is temperature control at all times. We have to spend a lot of time of making ten different versions of each dish- one without salt, one without fat, one chopped, one puréed, one without pork for the muslims, and then all the special requests outside of the planned menu.

The biggest problems and challenges are simply the organization and communication of the orders! Even with all the technology, sometimes things don't get through, and you never hear about the salt and fiber- free meal in one service, and they get furious.

Up to now, we have made our own pastry and cakes, which was about as fun as it gets- but recent budget cuts has taken that out and it's all getting much more industrialized.

In my opinion, it is not a job for anyone who really likes to cook.
Good luck though, I hope it isn't that bad where you are!

ETA- I read other posts you made in the thread, and can't help but think you need this course. You don't do things in a hospital as you would in a restaurant or at home. I totally understand your frustration - it must be very hard, at your age, with your experience, to have to learn this now and try to change habits, but it sounds like you need to learn this stuff.
edit on 27-9-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join