It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I was watching the preview for the new show, Marvel Agents of SHIELD, premiering on Tuesday at 9/8 Central on ABC. It looks like another case where the government is fighting the people of its own country, people that aren't doing much but wanting freedom. However, the show seems to be from the perspective of the government agency.

I believe that the direction the media goes is the direction that society goes, whether that is because artists are depicting society as it is, or because artists are trying to direct society in a certain direction. Has anyone seen the latest Transformers? Homeland Security shows up in that as well, and they treat the main characters like dirt (even threatening to shoot one of them in the head) but they are not the antagonists.

What I'm saying is, the media shows us heading into a police state where people who want freedom (even just as much as last decade) are going to be hunted down, and they are going to be portrayed as the bad guys. The media shows us heading into a very regimented society with little individuality.

It isn't just the media - technological advances are pushing for less individuality and more of a social media mindset, where there is a herd mentality, and little creative thought. People are encouraged to think what others think, and there is peer pressure not to say anything original. We could be entering a perfect storm.

----------

Once again, think of how Homeland Security has evolved along with the N.S.A. to be exactly the type of spy agencies (ones that spy on our own citizens) that people who thought ahead thought they would be. These spy agencies were not supposed to have sweeping powers to spy on every single one of us, that means you, by the way, without a warrant. There are even secret courts where people are tried during an N.S.A. investigation, and these are U.S. Citizens, non-terrorists.

----------

When I saw Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, the preview, I felt conflicted because I wasn't sure who the good or bad guys were. I'm not even sure if the producers of the show are sure who the good guys or bad guys in the show are. It reminds me of the Mutant Registration Act on steroids. And I think that is where out society is at the moment.
edit on 21pmSun, 21 Sep 2014 22:50:24 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

If your post is serious, you REALLY need to do a basic google search on the premise of the show.

Holy crap you couldn't be further off.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I would suggest watching it. www.primewire.ag...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

If your post is serious, you REALLY need to do a basic google search on the premise of the show.

Holy crap you couldn't be further off.

I was just basing it from watching the preview, I'll check it out on Wikipedia.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Just about every movie hollywood has made that is set in Americas future has had either a totalitarian government or a full blown world government. They have been pushing the idea onto us all for YEARS.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: sayzaar
Just about every movie hollywood has made that is set in Americas future has had either a totalitarian government or a full blown world government. They have been pushing the idea onto us all for YEARS.

To be honest, the system we have now isn't exactly going swimmingly. Maybe it's time to try something else.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Mods you can move this to general chit-chat.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: sayzaar

That is a good point... the future movies always do, that's interesting.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
have you seen the first season? the show is based in a world where people have superpowers and gods visit earth on a semi-regular basis. and the people being "hunted down" are usually either a risk or a threat. i dont see much police state going on in the show becsause its usually the people being hunted down who are forcing the difficult decisions. i remember that at least four shield agents almost died last season because they were willing to die while the bad guys were willing to kill. yeah they have a reason to be somewhat militant, but they still try to keep hold of their humanity. humanity is one difference between them and the people they hunt down.

yeah i am a fan.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think the premiere was a great start to the season. Chloe Bennet looks better than ever. And the special effects were something I've never seen on a TV series. Looking forward to the rest of the season!
edit on 26-9-2014 by ScribbledOnANotePad24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
They do like to slip in things into the media to help people get used to seeing it on the streets. (Slipping in a lot of references to how important facial technology is & using social media to help figure out location of something. Both of those have been featured Agents of Shield.

My fiancé & I also thought the whole Hydra tie in works perfectly with the real life shadow government that we know has been slowly rising over the decades, making sure to have key people in key positions for a take over. The hydra motive is also a lot similar to the NWO movement. The line about willing to sacrifice a couple million to save billions is actually how things are perceived, especially at a corporate level.

I see the parallels.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The premiere to Agents of SHIELD was pretty darn good, and had awesome special effects, but this last episode I feel like they're falling back into that rut they were suffering from at the beginning of season one. It has so much potential, but it's far from the best dramatic tv show airing right now.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScribbledOnANotePad24
The premiere to Agents of SHIELD was pretty darn good, and had awesome special effects, but this last episode I feel like they're falling back into that rut they were suffering from at the beginning of season one. It has so much potential, but it's far from the best dramatic tv show airing right now.

i dont think the show is about "drama" in the sense that we are wondering who will marry who and what if so and so finds out his wife cheated on him with his brother who happens to have returned after a long stint in prison which flashbacks reveal produced a long-standing grudge between him and this other dude who happens to be married to the sister in law of the lawyer who is representing so and so in a case against him and an ex girlfriend who is determined to prove that his wife is cheating.

no...this is about saving the world and superheroes and threats that no ordinary man can face. more to the point, it assists in laying the foundation for a further expanded Marvel Cinematic Universe. So far we have Skye whose father is an unknown but apparently boasts a rather sinister past to accompany a cryptic present and is somehow connected with a mysterious language that comes naturally to everyone exposed to Kree (or is it Skrull?) biology and carries the risk of turning into a rabid madman...which is why its suddenly so concerning that an infant reincarnated SHIELD is being led by a man who carries that exact biological hazard in his veins. Add to this that said man is supposed to be in charge of what amounts to global security against supernatural/paranormal threats and you've got yourself an interesting set of circumstances that lead to unpreditable places, a lot like last season. Oh, and did I mention that another of SHIELD's few remaining agents is currently infiltrating a terrorist organization with a proclivity for using some seriously vicious brain washing technology? So there's a chance that yet another SHIELD agent will be indefinitely incapacitated or even exploited to ruin everything built up in the past however many movies Marvel has released.

I would go into further detail than I already have but...well, Coulson's orders.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

My fiance and I are hoping that this show opens up more for Marvel. I'd like to see Apocalypse come, that could make for a pretty wicked movie. Build up to it with the show and then release the movie. It could work well for them, if they play their cards right.

Not really digging that Ward is still on the plane and I hope that they don't have him return to the good side. Hopefully the don't botch the whole Fits & Simmons thing any worse than they already have.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria

My fiance and I are hoping that this show opens up more for Marvel. I'd like to see Apocalypse come, that could make for a pretty wicked movie. Build up to it with the show and then release the movie. It could work well for them, if they play their cards right.

Not really digging that Ward is still on the plane and I hope that they don't have him return to the good side. Hopefully the don't botch the whole Fits & Simmons thing any worse than they already have.

i think the writers are working on defining the distinction between "he's hydra" and "he's loyal to a fault". Garret's affiliations were beside the point i think, so that's how ward justified it. and now they are making him look like the connection between skye and her mysterious father.

as for apocalypse...i might be wrong, but i think fox owns that. which is why singer is making it instead of feige and his friends.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Fox network owns the character Apocalypse? I thought Disney bought Marvel?
I'm also unsure which Singer you are referring to, Brian or Robert? Also, by Feige & friends, where you referring to the Whedon brothers Joss & Jed?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria
Fox network owns the character Apocalypse? I thought Disney bought Marvel?
I'm also unsure which Singer you are referring to, Brian or Robert? Also, by Feige & friends, where you referring to the Whedon brothers Joss & Jed?

feige is the head cheese at marvel right now, which means he works closely with the whedon brothers who are currently responsible for the agents of shield show and one of whom was responsible for the avengers and is responsible for next year's sequel.

brian singer is the director/producer currently tapped to helm X-Men Apocalypse which means that the rights sit with him and fox studios right now.

top topics

join