It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New poll shows 1 in 4 Americans Open to Secession

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
let the red states go, they're the ones sucking out all the federal tax dollars from the blue states. they are also the ones that complain the loudest about taxes, all the while getting the biggest share. screw them...they're the ones that are still pissed off about losing the civil war...now they can have the chance to bring back slavery, outlaw abortions and women's rights, deport anyone that isn't white or a slave, and form a Christian nation run by the bible.
This is just ignorant. Abraham Lincoln was a conservative.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I vote to have Washington DC secede from the union!

Show of hands?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60aade9215fb.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
I really do not see any state leaving the union (and as been brought up before, technically there is no way for any state to leave the union "legally". It's sort of like the song Hotel California - "You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave.")

I'm addressing this to further this discussion and foster healthy dialogue on the matter.

I am not sure how the discussion went on here before regarding this issue, but it is not "illegal" for a State to secede. The Supreme Court ruling in Texas v. White stated such in part, but it also left legal avenues to do so, aside from that, making secession illegal defies the very principles, notions, and arguments made by the Founding Fathers and the documents they produced.
Is Secession Legal? gives a pretty good run down on the matter and if asked I can chase down other sources, I'll just need time for a good reply.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Now you are talkin! I support and second that move! A star for ye!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

LOL next you will tell us that Teddy Roosevelt was a conservative too.

I believe the word you are struggling with is "progressive", which they both were.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

a reply to: grandmakdw

Show of hands?

LOL - thanks for the humor!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
I wish the democrats could have a country of their own, and the republicans could have a country of theirs.

And they would both suck and fail cause both party's suck!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Pretty ignorant statement, IMO.

So...Detroit is not sucking up anything? The North is where most of the unemployment is at. Where a huge amount of crime is at.

LOL politics. As if both parties are not in lock step with each other at the top. Scripted conflict to produce the outcome they want. Then there are the "useful idiots" who buy their crap.

link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

originally posted by: eriktheawful
I really do not see any state leaving the union (and as been brought up before, technically there is no way for any state to leave the union "legally". It's sort of like the song Hotel California - "You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave.")

I'm addressing this to further this discussion and foster healthy dialogue on the matter.

I am not sure how the discussion went on here before regarding this issue, but it is not "illegal" for a State to secede. The Supreme Court ruling in Texas v. White stated such in part, but it also left legal avenues to do so, aside from that, making secession illegal defies the very principles, notions, and arguments made by the Founding Fathers and the documents they produced.
Is Secession Legal? gives a pretty good run down on the matter and if asked I can chase down other sources, I'll just need time for a good reply.

Thank you for your rational and terrific response. I so appreciate your non-emotional and quite level headed response.

I thought there was a legal way by which states could leave the USA,
but like in Civil War days, would the federal government honor it's own laws? Probably not.

Would love to hear more from you!

edit on 8Fri, 19 Sep 2014 08:48:47 -0500am91909amk195 by grandmakdw because: headline

link   

Show of hands?

You could always invite us Brits and Canadians back to finish burning it to the ground?

edit on 19-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

You are absolutely correct, hitting the nail straight on the head!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

let the red states go, they're the ones sucking out all the federal tax dollars from the blue states. they are also the ones that complain the loudest about taxes, all the while getting the biggest share. screw them...they're the ones that are still pissed off about losing the civil war...now they can have the chance to bring back slavery, outlaw abortions and women's rights, deport anyone that isn't white or a slave, and form a Christian nation run by the bible.

No it is not, what is ignorant is you not realizing the Republicans and Democrats of that time had platforms that are in reverse to the Party's they are today. In today's terms, Lincoln was a progressive ...
Why Did the Democratic and Republican Parties Switch Platforms?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   

No it is not, what is ignorant is you not realizing the Republicans and Democrats of that time had platforms that are in reverse to the Party's they are today. In today's terms, Lincoln was a progressive ...

Please don't derail my thread.

Mods call this drifting and will shut down the thread faster than a sneeze.

If you want to snark about Dems vs Reps, please start a new thread and please, please don't derail and shut mine down.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

You could always invite us Brits and Canadians back to Finnish burning it to the ground?

Last I checked the US has no issues with the Finns.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Show of hands?

You could always invite us Brits and Canadians back to Finnish burning it to the ground?

Well yous guys were all hyped up to burn Edinburgh to the ground. Guess you got to do something with all that energy. All dressed up but no party.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
You are welcome and thank you. To be honest, the article I linked to makes any argument I would on the matter and elaborates on the issue quite well. I'm looking around for academic articles on the matter as well while at the same time, tending to some chores and checking here intermittently ... although this thread might keep me attached to he pc.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Please don't derail my thread.

Mods call this drifting and will shut down the thread faster than a sneeze.

If you want to snark about Dems vs Reps, please start a new thread and please, please don't derail and shut mine down.

Sorry grand, didn't mean to and was not my intention, was just quickly correcting a misconception and hopefully shutting down any drifting with that correction.

I'm on task, I promise.
edit on 9/19/2014 by AllSourceIntel because: spelling

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Lincoln a progressive, ok. But watch out for folks trying to hijack "Linconesque". Folks claiming to be in the likeness of, with the same motivation and principles. Modern progressives are NOT Linconesque.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I suspect that one thing the poll also reveals is that onei n four Americans do not know what the word "secession" means.

Theere is enough resentment of the political stalemate in Washington at the moment, that many are simply making a statement of disgust by claiming to favor secession. Whereas those in the states most vocal about seceding are allowing their regional pride to cloud their judgement. For example, the second largest employment sector in Texas is government, larger even than the energy sector. Can you imagine what Texas would look like if the United States closed all its military bases in Texas and moved NASA north? Now that modern naval craft do not require coal, the United States fleet could easily close its bases in Hawaii, and it could depend entirely on tourism and pineapple farming. Somehow, I don't think either state would welcome that reality.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Can we reverse vote? Have the Union vote out Washington DC? I would raise both hands to that if I could.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join