It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCOTLAND VOTES NO - Implications for the rest of the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Scotland has voted NO, this cannot be denied.
Even if minor vote fraud did occur there is no way it can account for the NO campaign making substantial majorities in the majority of voting areas and taking a 380,000 (10% margin) vote net win.
Scottish people should accept this, remember there are 58 million OTHER people in the UK, my great city alone has more people than Scotland & Wales combined.

What does this all mean for England, Wales & NI?

Lets consider the Demographics & Socioeconomic status of these entities.

Greater London alone has the highest regional GDP (by a big margin) & a population greater than Scotland + Wales combined, surely London has to have greater power devolved to it & has to keep more of its tax revenue, we Londoners essentially subsidize all other regions (Except the South East).

Northern Ireland & Wales will demand the same deal which Scotland gets, this is only fair.

This vote could be the best thing which has happened to the United Kingdom in many many years.

The result of the vote will be a more federalized and decentralized UK. This is only a positive development, competition and specialization amongst regions will only drive people to achieve more. This has been a long time in the making.

Today we wake up in a fundamentally different, and more decentralized UK, a better UK.

Let us Londoners have some independence, we are the most powerful region, the richest region, the most populous region yet people from all over the UK can vote on how much of OUR tax revenue gets spent on THEM. This is not fair.

Viva Scotland, Viva Britannia, Viva LONDON!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: rusblued9217

have you seen the Daily Mail?

Now Cameron poses the ENGLISH question: As Scotland rejects independence, PM threatens to tear up the constitution by declaring it is now time for 'English votes for English laws'

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
300 years part of the UK aren't easy to get wiped out with a referendum YES.

55% decided that Scotland fairs better if it stays in UK.

People have spoken !!!

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Jesuslives4u

I detest the daily mail, however I always read the comments section for a good laugh.

Personally I think we need a new constitution. We are a country with a morally bankrupt political class, this needs to be reinvented and reinvigorated to get people to once again engage in politics like has happened in Scotland, it is so refreshing to see people on either side fired up rather than being sheep!

I think England should be split into regions which will have the same authority as Scotland gets, make them of a similar size population wise aswell. Give each region its own powers to raise certain taxes, devise its own legislation etc, like US states.

I am so happy that the UK can no longer put devolution to English regions off.

London is literally the richest region of all regions in the whole EU, yet we have some of the most deprived & unequal wards within this amazing city, a disgrace to what is fast becoming the capital of the world & the most diverse city on earth.

WE LONDONERS SHOULD KEEP OUR TAX REVENUE

This is only fair, I do not see how it is viable any longer given the result in Scotland to send vast proportions of our tax revenue to Wales, Scotland, NI, Newcastle or Hull for that matter.

We need the money spent here in this city.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: rusblued9217
Scotland has voted NO, this cannot be denied.
Even if minor vote fraud did occur there is no way it can account for the NO campaign making substantial majorities in the majority of voting areas and taking a 380,000 (10% margin) vote net win.

www.theguardian.com...

Borisov said he was unimpressed by what he saw. He said the room where he watched the count on Thursday night was a cavernous "aircraft hangar" next to an airfield. It was difficult to see what was going on, he said, adding: "The hangar is approximately 100m by 300m. There are tables, with voting papers stacked upon them, but the observers are stuck around the perimeter. Even if you want to, it's impossible to tell what's happening. It's also unclear where the boxes with ballot papers come from."

Major vote fraud is possible.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Don't get on your high horse about London.
Manchester my city was once the richest city on the planet and the first industrial one.
The North built Britain into what it was at it's greatest,the shipyards,the cotton industry,the coal industry,the steel industry and the textile industry so that the likes of London could become what it is today.
The first programmable computer in the World was invented in Manchester so we have been at the forefront of the last 2 world wide revolutions that have changed the planet.

What irks me though is that when i first toured America i saw that Chicago easily matches New York then there is also Washington D.C.,Miami and L.A.
All Britain has is London.
All Westminster cares about is London.
The rest of us are fed bread crumbs and crap wages.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Major vote fraud is possible.

Russian observers say referendum count took place in rooms that were too big and did not meet international standards

Russian observers say there was voting fraud

I'm surprised the guardian published that nonsense.

Who's to say there wasn't vote rigging on the Yes side and that the scale of the defeat could have been even greater than the 10% margin , wherever there are postal ballots the opportunity for fraud is available as we have seen in General elections.

The result is in , the people have spoken now let's move on and look forward to a Tory defeat at the general election , the Scots and the English can both enjoy that together.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Haha that's funny

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: southbeach
Manchester my city was once the richest city on the planet and the first industrial one.
The North built Britain into what it was at it's greatest,the shipyards,the cotton industry,the coal industry,the steel industry and the textile industry so that the likes of London could become what it is today.
The first programmable computer in the World was invented in Manchester so we have been at the forefront of the last 2 world wide revolutions that have changed the planet.

What irks me though is that when i first toured America i saw that Chicago easily matches New York then there is also Washington D.C.,Miami and L.A.

Manchester is Manchester. You are built for one thing textiles. Make your textile industry work again or create another export based trade. You can't blame it all on London and others. The locals must make a go of it or the locality will wither away.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I'm surprised the guardian published that nonsense.

Some voting fraud? Quite possible. Enough to have any influence on the outcome? Unlikely.

There have been rumours floating for a few days that Russia might have been an ace* that Salmond was hiding up his sleeve - it would certainly explain a few things. I will not be surprised at all if they are hovering around like vultures and looking for reasons to stir up unrest.

* from his perspective at least.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

England is now in a position to shaft the Scots over the Barnett Formula, just by giving them exactly what they want. More autonomy - which works both ways.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
"If voting actually made a difference they wouldnt let us do it." Mark Twain.

This whole thing was set from the start. Just another ploy to give you the illusion of choosing your fate. Sorry Scottland you are owned by the Queen. No independence for you. Now go back to work and pay your taxes and produce more oil for the crown.
edit on 19-9-2014 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: southbeach

Manchester is Manchester. You are built for one thing textiles. Make your textile industry work again or create another export based trade. You can't blame it all on London and others. The locals must make a go of it or the locality will wither away.

Lima Declaration of 1975

Resolution 27 - developed countries such as the UK should expand imports from developing countries

Resolution 28 - Requires that developing countries increase their Industrial growth by more than the 8% recommended in earlier United Nations meetings and increase their exports by 350% by year 2000.

Resolution 35 - developed countries such as the UK should transfer technical, financial, and capital goods to developing countries to accomplish resolution 28 above.

www.ukcolumn.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

These are the things that need revising, all the messy little clauses attached to alliances that have messed up many otherwise thriving economies.

Preferential trade for developing nations at a cost to ours has to stop, it has gone far enough, time to lock the gates and renew our own industries, it's a major part of the solution to make the UK all round prosperous again.

Getting our businesses back from outsourcing and getting financial backing for our own industries has to be the way forward.

Obviously there are things that are more cost effective to import and I wouldn't suggest stopping all imports obviously but something constructive has to be done.

The UK needs a legitimate organisation that actually looks at all the clauses that affect our GDP and how our system operates.
edit on 19-9-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

join