It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object created from woven and bound magnetic field lines. Would this be possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Could field lines be woven like a basket and bout in place to make an object or shield entirely or mostly without actual matter. I suspect field lines can exist away from magnetic source as in the case of the magnetic force of a solar flare, but I am limited in my understanding of the subject.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I believe that may be possible. I have thought of that possibility in the solar environment myself but couldn't find a stitch of research on it anywhere. It is one of those things that I couldn't research at all. I think the heliosphere and corona are actually sort of woven. The earths fields could be a lattice sort of thing also with energy bonds of various sorts.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
No, flux lines need a source.

the earth is a giant magnet which creates our magnetic field.

The sun acts as a magnet as well. When there is cme charged particles are hurled toward the earth. These charged particles create a magnetic field around themselves.
edit on 16-9-2014 by theyknowwhoyouare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think it depends on what you mean by object. To solar radiation, the magnetosphere is an object, and it is only created when solar energy interacts with the Earth's magnetic field. So when the sun is in solar minimum, there is less of a magnetosphere, and it gets stronger as the sun moves into solar maximum. The magnetosphere may not be a physical object, but it has physical properties, and deflects energy. I don't know if this helps.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I would consider the interaction between the sun and Earth lines of flux. I know many don't consider that the sun and Earth interact electrically, but they do interact magnetically. As far as I understand, if two objects interact magnetically, they're electrically connected.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Mon1k3r

Little is known about magnets. I have always suspected there is a dense flow of electrons rather than just a field. The only electrical interaction would be between flux line and a conductor that it would happen to be cutting through. Unless you were speaking of simple electron exchange.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare
No, flux lines need a source.

the earth is a giant magnet which creates our magnetic field.

The sun acts as a magnet as well. When there is cme charged particles are hurled toward the earth. These charged particles create a magnetic field around themselves.

I was going to say something similar, that a magnetic field is attached to it's source, including things like to a natural magnet, electro-magnet, a radio wave or light frequency that radiates from a source, etc.

So what you might be describing is a projected magnetic field object or hologram?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I believe the desire was to weave a basket from flux lines. Which would be pretty awesome. lol

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Mon1k3r

Little is known about magnets. I have always suspected there is a dense flow of electrons rather than just a field. The only electrical interaction would be between flux line and a conductor that it would happen to be cutting through. Unless you were speaking of simple electron exchange.

Atoms have electron shells, which are arranged of electrons in various spherical and balloon shaped bubbles around the nucleus. When these are partially filled, the atoms become magnetic (there is diamagnetism, ferromagnetism and a few other types).

It's even possible to create super-atoms which have extra strong magnetic fields by combining various rare earth elements together:

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

You just explained how matter can form magnetic properties. However, you didn't explain what magnetic force actually is.

You do know that electrons, protons, and neutrons are all tiny magnets themselves right? So magnetism is not created by electrons.

And if you say magnetic force is virtual photons, I'm going to laugh.
edit on 16-9-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

Could it be a combination effect of the strong atomic and weak necular forcees?

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikefougnie
Could it be a combination effect of the strong atomic and weak necular forcees?

I would be the wrong person to ask that question to because I don't subscribe to the mainstream scientific theory of "4 fundamental forces". I believe there is only 1 fundamental force which manifests itself in many different ways in matter. Following that logic, yes you are correct.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAre0ne

You just explained how matter can form magnetic properties. However, you didn't explain what magnetic force actually is.

You do know that electrons, protons, and neutrons are all tiny magnets themselves right? So magnetism is not created by electrons.

And if you say magnetic force is virtual photons, I'm going to laugh.

This article has an explanation:
www.rare-earth-magnets.com...

The concept of flux tubes seems similar:

plus.maths.org...

edit on 16-9-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I believe the desire was to weave a basket from flux lines. Which would be pretty awesome. lol

That is exactly what I want to do. This basket could be a ST-like shield for future spacecraft.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Thanks, but again, no explanation into what magnetic force actually is. Just more explanation on how it manifests in different materials.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: WeAre0ne

Well, they figured out the connection between electricity and magnatism, unifying them into electromagnatism. I suggest that it is possible that it be a combination effect of the strong atomic and weak necular forces. This would suggest one main force, once you figure out what gravity is.
edit on Sep53kAmerica/Chicago September2014000000109 by mikefougnie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Could field lines be woven like a basket and bout in place to make an object or shield entirely or mostly without actual matter. I suspect field lines can exist away from magnetic source as in the case of the magnetic force of a solar flare, but I am limited in my understanding of the subject.
Can you sew on a button with the lines on this topographic map?

Of course not. In both cases the lines aren't real, they are imaginary constructs that represent something real but what they represent isn't lines in reality, so I don't see how you can "weave" them like threads in a fabric.

The closest thing I've seen are the flow reversals that were discovered in the Earth's magnetotail, where the field directions get a little scrambled but not really woven:

www.esa.int...

The four Cluster satellites encountered a flow reversal region in the magnetotail.
That's more like turbulence in the wake of a boat than weaving, but it's interesting.

Of course we've all seen how iron filings are affected by magnets and away from the magnet. There is still some effect at a distance, but the further from the magnet the weaker the effect.

a reply to: mikefougnie
Over 35 years ago, electromagnetism and the weak force have already been identified as different aspects of the same interaction called "Electro-weak interaction"

Electroweak interaction

For contributions to the unification of the weak and electromagnetic interaction between elementary particles, Abdus Salam, Sheldon Glashow and Steven Weinberg were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1979.
The strong force can also be unified with quantum theory:

en.wikipedia.org...

The two theories upon which all modern physics rests are General Relativity (GR) and Quantum Field Theory (QFT)...

QFT successfully implemented the Standard Model and unified the interactions (so-called Grand Unified Theory) between the three non-gravitational forces: weak, strong, and electromagnetic force.
While a few people claim to have figured out a way to unify gravity with the other three forces in a "theory of everything", all such proposed models have not been accepted by mainstream and it's not certain that gravity can be unified with the other three, though that would be nice if someone can figure out how to do it.
edit on 17-9-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Long answer short, No.

Magnetic fields are created by the flow of an electrical current. As you probably already know, electrons are matter. Thus magnetism does rely on matter to exist.

Nice thinking out of the box, though. For that you have a S&F from me.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Thank you.

top topics

join