It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple languages on TV! At the same time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I don't know if you have experienced this, but lately while watching any type of sports on NBC, I keep hearing English and Spanish at the same time. It's driving me nuts! It ends up total gibberish.

Granted, I'm using a HDTV antennae...but really!?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Back in the day that happened when grandpa accidentally hit the SAP button....

Not sure what set up you have, but either on your tv or cable box or something look for a sap setting. That gives you Spanish dubbing but not all progrms offer it so that's why it only comes on now and then.
edit on 14-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

Seems to have sorted itself out now and I'm only hearing English. But last week it was only Spanish. This is in Ohio, not one of the southern border states.

My Spanish is rudimentary and I can speak it well enough to get into trouble. When I ask for the nearest restaurant, it comes out as, "El gato está en mis pantalones."

But trying to watch a NFL game in Spanish (combined with English) it is beyond my comprehension. I just mute the damn thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Seriously look for your sap settings. Sometimes on new TVs you have to go into sub menus on screen.

Cause depending on what your watching even if you don't hear it now it will pop back on soon as a channel or show offers dual audio channels.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Will do, but I've had this TV for four years and this is the first year it started doing this. And only on NBC. The rest of the channels are ok.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Yes because NBC is one of the very few that spend the time and money to translate their programming. If you are in Canada or watching Canadian shows you may end up with French instead of Spanish.

It costs money to do though which is why you won't find many shows with it, and why you don't notice it all the time.

To be honest i wouldn't be surprised if it probably started with soaps

answers.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

Will do, but I've had this TV for four years and this is the first year it started doing this. And only on NBC. The rest of the channels are ok.

If you had the tv for four years and it's the first year you did it, it is more than like you hit the SAP button on ur remote or turned it on in an audio menu by mistake.

That is, it is more likely you did that then your tv magically start speaking Spanish, or the networks automatically broadcasting Spanish. Hahaha

SAP : secondary audio programming

Easy as hitting a single button on most TV remotes.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Huh...well being in Ohio and trying to watch a NFL game in French would be funny for a period of time...to me at least. I must admit, watching the NFL when I was stationed in Germany, being broadcast in German, which I do understand, was funny as hell.

Guess it's time to break out the owners manual again.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Thanks Boncho! There is no SAP button on my remote so I guess I will have to go through the aggravation of the multiple page menus.

Crap, I hate doing that, just getting my XBox on screen was a pain. Though now it's the press of one button. Though getting there was a pain.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I'm glad you got it straightened out and the thread was Not about networks broadcasting in different languages at the same time.

That would add to the nightmare that is already here: Cannot go to an American grocery store without seeing other languages on the same package as the English. Sometimes, everything in English is mirrored in Spanish - and I hate it. I boycott companies that do this because this practice is Un-Anerican. Folks need to learn English if they are going to come here, not be catered to because they are lazy. Companies who cater to these folks should be fined heavily - it should be strictly illegal. If you Spanish folks really need products in your own language, you can open up your own stores.
edit on 15-9-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

new topics

top topics

join