It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Story of Strange Analog Computing Statistical Structure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I watched an interesting show last night called Twilight Wisdom which aired on a show by the name of Dark Secrets by The History Channel.
www.historychannel.com.au...

The show appears to be based off of some factual information, but the reviews given by watchers trends the show toward being total fictional BS. The episode that interested me the most was one regarding something mysterious that took place during the Cuban Missile Crisis time period.
I have found a small clip of the show to post here, however I am unable to provide the whole documentary for you to view from you tube. I was able to watch it through Netflix. In order for you to be able to watch the whole episode I'm afraid your going to have to search for it yourself. I deeply apologize for this inconvenience.

For the purpose of the thread, I will give a brief summary of the episodes premise.
In the year 1962 at Osen Retirement Community in Prescott, AZ a strange card formation is found in a basement room by an employee. The structure is comprised of cards, dominos, strings and stick pins.

At the same time the Defense Intelligence Agency shows up at the facility claiming that they have discovered that 100's of phone calls had been traced which were being made from within this same basement room. The calls were made to Turkey, Italy, Cuba and into the Soviet Union. They found that the junction box led to a line in this basement of the retirement home. The basement room's windows had all been covered with paper to block out light emitting from the room and hide the secret orperational on-goings covertlly being done behind its closed doors in the middle of the night.
When the DIA arrives on scene to investigate the suspicious phone calls, they find out about this crazy mathematical card structure tucked away in the same basement room that the phone calls had been traced from. So a deeper investigation ensues.

They call in a Dr from the MIT Department of Mathematics as well as the knowledge of an autistic savant to try and determine the meaning behind the mysterious structure.

From what they determined, this structure was believed to be a giant statistical algorithm of complex proportions like that of an analog computer but better than any computer that had been in use in the 1960's to date. We simply didn't have anything in existance that complex yet.

The domino #'s corresponded to letters. Each table in the structure was it's own system and then each table was connected together so that they became clusters of systems working together. Some of the dominos were set as levers that could be turned a 1/4 this way or that way which would alter or change the system. The structure was acting like a mechanical computer in a very complex way. There were even fractals discovered in the structure which still had not been officially discovered or termed until 1975. One of the structures used in the design was the Sierpinski Trinagle which is a fractal geometric design that is mathematically perfect or known as "sacred geometry".
The entire structure was being used to input data and then predicting the end results. Like that of a divination tool or a computer able to give statistical analysis and results based on data input.

After the investigation it was found that 4 of the inhabitants of the retirement home were involved in building the structure and making the phone calls. They were the 4 people of intererest in the investigation. Please forgive me on the spelling of the names, I do not know if I have them correct as I simply wrote down what I heard in the documentary.

Karl Kaplan - an immigrant to the US when he was age 7 who might of been autistic
Maria Calvacontei - she could speak 6 diff languages
John Banner - he and family fleed from Russia at age 27, capable of writing out very complex mathematical equations
Ann Sandrian - she could solve a cross word puzzle without even looking at any of the clues, just by simply looking at the grid before her
It is thought that these 4 individuals were the behind the scene players involved in the back door diplomacy communications going on which helped to resolve the Cuban Missile Crisis peacefully which took place at the same exact time in October 16 to 28 of 1962.

The espisode goes on to state that after the investigation started and the card structure was found, all 4 residents died within 10 days of heart attacks ! ?
So it makes one wonder several things :

Were there 4 individuals being holed up secretly in this top secret location to help solve the Crisis situation.

Were they then disposed of, or spirited away for their next mission after having appeared to die of natural causes.

The show even goes on to imply that the 4 individuals could of tapped into what is known as Twilight Wisdom, Near Death Awareness or Terminal Knowledge. This is the belief that an individual who is dying of natural causes somehow taps into the Akashic Records for a brief period of time, that they suddenly have infinite knowledge of everything for a brief moment in time.

So what do you think folks ? Is it true ? Did this happen ? What do you think happened ?

1) A top secret goverment operation played out during the Cuban Missile Crisis

8. Secret back-door diplomacy, rather than brinkmanship, defused the crisis.
Once Kennedy announced the blockade, the Americans and Soviets were in regular communication. The October 28 agreement was hammered out the night before in a secret meeting between Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy and Soviet Ambassador Anatoly Dobrynin. The Attorney General’s outreach and offer to remove missiles from Turkey was so clandestine that only a handful of presidential advisers were aware of it at the time.

www.history.com...
2) A group of extremely smart individuals playing their own statistical / divination type game
Diplomacy (game)

Diplomacy is a strategic board game created by Allan B. Calhamer in 1954 and released commercially in 1959.[1] Its main distinctions from most board wargames are its negotiation phases (players spend much of their time forming and betraying alliances with other players and forming beneficial strategies)[2] and the absence of dice and other game elements that produce random effects. Set in Europe before the beginning of World War I, Diplomacy is played by two to seven players,[3] each controlling the armed forces of a major European power (or, with fewer players, multiple powers). Each player aims to move his or her few starting units and defeat those of others to win possession of a majority of strategic cities and provinces marked as "supply centers" on the map; these supply centers allow players who control them to produce more units.

Diplomacy game
3) Some kind of divine intervention of records opening up to these 4 individuals
www.eternea.org...
4) It was all made up and and is total hog wash but a really good story for us ATS'er type conspiracy folks
I really enjoyed the episode and it kind made me think of the game GO and the movies War Games and Pi.

leolady
edit on 14-9-2014 by leolady because: fix

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This is a very cool story that I have never heard, thanks for bringing it to a thread. I'm going to have fun digging in to this.

So strange.

ETA: Uh, I don't know about this. There seems to be no precedent for the images of the cards and dominoes, or the story, for that matter.

I'll have to dig around, but this is starting to smell a little of History Channel bull#. I'm starting to wonder if we had enlargements of those photos if we couldn't begin to pick out stuff that doesn't belong, or is out of place or time.

Something doesn't ring true about this, I think HC is scraping some barrel they may have invented themselves.

We'll see, I guess.

edit on 14-9-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sounds like a long camp-fire story. Sierpinski triangles were known before 1962, and I can see how those cards could be arranged onto rotating shapes like cylinders and regular polyhedrons to act as random number generators, though I don't see how they would work as a "tinker-toy" computer (that's worth searching for).

Probability and branching is used by expert systems, but they didn't come out until the 1980's. The idea was to use a flow-chart to ask a number of questions, then based on the yes/no answers, come to a conclusion. Eventually, that was advanced to using "fuzzy logic", where the yes/no questions was replaced with a probability in the range 0.0 to 1.0. Then these values could be combined together, and compared against a threshold value. So if your car engine didn't start, then based on things like whether it had been raining, had the fuel tank filled, or the weather was cold or hot, the expert system would come back with a list of probabilities that your battery was, flat, the radiator needed water, the carburettor was clogged, or the spark plugs were old.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots

I agree with you on the pics and I could not get any hits while searching online myself in regards to this story. The documentary does show the pics in their re-enactment. How do we know if the pictures shown are real or fake ?

I did however find some information while doing my own research which could coraborate the story. In a book called The Uses and Limits of Intelligence by Walter Laqueur. It goes on to explain the covert intelligence collection that was used during the Cuban Missile Crisis and how it was kept quiet so that they did not reveal the American techniques for information gathering methods.

I have posted below a few snipets from this book.

The Uses and Limits of Intelligence

leolady
edit on 14-9-2014 by leolady because: spelling

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Well the story claims to have had a statistical computing genius on board with the program. The lady by the name of Ann Sandrian could solve a cross word puzzle without even looking at any of the clues, just by simply looking at the puzzle grid before her.

Her mind had a processing capability that is fascinating if true. Being able to simply look at the number of empty blocks on a crossword puzzle sitting before you and then filling in the blanks correctly all based on the statistical outcomes that play in the mind is quite amazing.

So in a sense, her mind alone could of been the master mind behind the card structure. Perhaps she built this puzzle like contraption to work in conjunction with her mind because she could see the patterns and break them down easily. The contraption could of become an extension of her computing capabilities.

leolady

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I was doing some more reading and found some more information on the SIGINT - Signal intelligence program.

It is interesting to me that the program as shown below needed individuals who had skills in language, mathematics, analysts and engineers. Hmmm... isn't that what the 4 persons of interest appeared to have specialized skills in ?

A Career in SIGINT

The SIGINT mission must keep pace with advances in the high speed, multi-functional technologies of today's information age. The ever-increasing volume, velocity and variety of today's signals make the production of relevant and timely intelligence for military commanders and national policy-makers more challenging and exciting than ever. While modern telecommunications technology poses significant challenges to SIGINT, the many languages used in the nations and regions of the world that are of interest to our military and national leaders require NSA to maintain a wide variety of language capabilities as well. Indeed, successful SIGINT depends on the skills of language professionals, mathematicians, analysts, and engineers, to name just a few.

The critical thinking and vitality required to accomplish our strategic goals depend on a diverse workforce, divergent points of view, and a fully inclusive environment. NSA has a strong tradition of employing dedicated, highly qualified people deeply committed to maintaining the Nation's security. While technology will obviously continue to be a key element of our future, NSA recognizes that technology is only as good as the people creating it and the people using it

Signals Intelligence

leolady

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: leolady

Yeah, you got it, work like that is done with multi-disciplinary groups of scientists.

The thing that I am trying to figure out is where these details about these people have come from.

Ann Sandrian?

I would really like to see the source for these details.

The idea of this hidden group of super-elderlies tucked away in a retirement home? I dunno, it sounds like a series on ABC.

I love the story and that you've brought it up. I'm not complaining. I just think it's weird.

Ann Sandrian? How do we vett Ann Sandrian? It sounds made up.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Is this story true - I don't know.
We're such programs real - Yes.
Are such programs in effect today - ?

There are a lot of "INTs" out there. SIGINT used to be one of the most closely guarded. Most people who worked in that field were aware of the compartmentalization, but hardly aware of the depth. There is still one INT I have never seen in the public venue.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots
This is a very cool story that I have never heard, thanks for bringing it to a thread. I'm going to have fun digging in to this.

So strange.

ETA: Uh, I don't know about this. There seems to be no precedent for the images of the cards and dominoes, or the story, for that matter.

I'll have to dig around, but this is starting to smell a little of History Channel bull#. I'm starting to wonder if we had enlargements of those photos if we couldn't begin to pick out stuff that doesn't belong, or is out of place or time.

Something doesn't ring true about this, I think HC is scraping some barrel they may have invented themselves.

We'll see, I guess.

On first observation it looked a little familiar. I guess because I too have tried to do the impossible. Nothing near as elaborate as this, by any stretch of the imagination. I every once in a while, when bored, and with some waiting time ahead of me, I will try to draw a 4 dimensional object. It is said because we live in a 3 dimensional world, it is impossible for us to see our world through 4 dimensional eyes. While I may not be able to see through 4 dimensional eyes, it is still a strong interest of mine to imagine what our world would look like from the 4th dimension.

I first thought the string was just used to stabilize the cards. I had no clue what the dominoes were for, until I gave a little more thought to the string. The string could also be used to map the proper angle for placement of the cards and the dominoes could be used for not just numerical tracking of the different angles and planes, but could have been used as a visual aide for the levels of the planes. I know I am doing a lousy job of explaining what I am trying to suggest, and is obvious it didn't work........., but I have doodled through almost every notebook i have ever owned, and have actually had to reprint blank documents, because I had accidentally draw cubes and boxes all over a professional document.

If I lived in a place like that and spirited out a couple of like minded residents, I would have been one of the first ones sneaking into that basement on a quest to build or find the impossible. Why did they all die around the same time and so close together? Maybe that is the part of the story that was embellished a bit to add spice and mystery. I don't know anything more than anyone else on this site, but being an old fart that is running way too quickly down that steep incline to the finish line, I know sitting around playing Bingo, dancing at ice cream socials or watching TV, would not be something I would be looking forward to each day. They didn't have ATS back then so I don't think it is too implausible to believe that a group of them may have found a better reason to get out of the bed each morning. It didn't even have to be a real project. Just something to oil the old grey matter, dream, spend quality time with friends and add a little intrigue to their time in an old folks home.

Just a huge guess at what it could have been.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Okay,

No cable so I'm checking out Hulu and NF right now.

Have we got a name for this guy that was bequeathed with the "four file boxes of highly classified material"?

ETA: Oh good, it's on NF.

BRB

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yep,

I'm still going to watch it because I'm a bit of a masochist, but it ain't looking good...

www.dreamviews.com...

I could tell that the "Edward Shiller" guy was an actor, how about you guys?

Mmmm, not good, this show has raised a real #strom because of the way it does busines. Not looking good for our band of intrepid super-retirees.

But I'm really going to watch it now.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I could tell that the "Edward Shiller" guy was an acto, how about you guys?

That, or he's a natural storyteller. Which, in your opinion, would cast more discredit on a story the government would prefer you not hear? LOL
edit on 1492014 by Snarl because: Punctuation

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

No honestly.

There's probably a thread that needs to go up about the show.

The premise is that there is this unknown person called The Teller that is the source for the stories.

It's all completely made up. It's not hard to figure out once you start snooping about Google for "Dark Secrets", the name of the show.

Again, going back to finish watching, but I know where this is going.

I think I'm going to have to agree with the establishment: this here is some next-level bull# from the History Channel.

I'm going to have to publicly spank them in a couple of days.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Please send me a PM when you do. I might overlook it from this time zone.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I'm sorry guys but I have started on episode 1 and I have to stop every 30 seconds to go to my terminal and ferret out more bull#.

I was listening to the 911 call in episode 1 and thought, "Bull#!".

And sure enough.

I'll stop now. Til the thread.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The TV show is fiction, these aren't real stories, none if this really happened.
junkscience.com...

Thus, you soon discover that Dark Secrets is really a science fiction program, presented in documentary format—a mockumentary, if you will. Too bad that much of today’s “true” science is little more than a mock version, or even a parody of what it should be. Consider the comically overrated practice of peer review.

edit on 9/14/2014 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
"Dr. Ben Perkins" at the end of the Twighlight Wisdom episode is an actor named Davison Locksley.

Try his name in Google Images.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: defcon5
The TV show is fiction, these aren't real stories, none if this really happened.
junkscience.com...

Thus, you soon discover that Dark Secrets is really a science fiction program, presented in documentary format—a mockumentary, if you will. Too bad that much of today’s “true” science is little more than a mock version, or even a parody of what it should be. Consider the comically overrated practice of peer review.

The truth, truly is, stranger than fiction. Cover for certain things is so elaborate that the participants believe it's real and are shaken by the experience. Lots of measures (mostly fear of reprisal) in place to ensure leaks do not occur, but people are people and can't keep their mouths shut. Hence, stories that point, but don't tell. Knowledge suppressed for so long it almost loses its meaning.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I found some information on who was in charge of the NSA intelligence operations during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

THE NSA RESPONSE
At NSA, the response to the crisis was led by the director, Lieutenant General Gordon Blake, USAF. Blake had become DIRNSA only three months before, but he had a strong background in communications and intelligence. Early in his career he had been operations officer at Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii, and was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry during the Japanese attack on December 7, 1941. After a series of command and staff positions, in1957 he became chief of the Air Force Security Service. Two years later he became vice commander and chief of staff of the Pacific Air Forces, then chief of the Continental Air Command. In 1962, when Vice Admiral Laurence Frost was unexpectedly transferred from his position as DIRNSA, Gordon Blake was selected as his replacement.
Much of the day-to-day - or minute-to-minute - burden fell on an element of the Operations organization headed by Mrs. Juanita Moody. Mrs. Moody had begun her career as a cryptanalyst during World War I1 and had remained in cryptology after the end of the war. Her office worked around the clock to reexamine older reports about the status of Cuba's armed forces and produce current intelligence quickly. In addition to producing new reports and summaries, Mrs. Moody found it necessary to give impromptu telephone briefings to senior military and political decision makers, most of whom would call for information updates at any hour of the day or night.
Mrs. Moody later recalled how NSA responded as a team to the crisis, sometimes in unusual ways. At one point General Blake came to her office to ask if he might be of any assistance to the effort there. She asked him to try to get additional staff to meet a sudden need for more personnel. Shortly she heard him on the telephone talking to off-duty employees, "This is Gordon Blake calling for Mrs. Moody. Could you come in to work now?" -
To ensure timely responses to unexpected needs by the consumers of SIGINT, General Blake established NSA's first around-the-clock command center. General Blake also took responsibility for getting NSA's product to the White House and interpreting its sometimes arcane indicators to the policymakers.

NSA had deployed a considerable capability around Cuba, including SIGINT collection from ground-based stations and aircraft circling the periphery of the island, just outside Cuban territorial waters. The USS Oxford, a specially configured SIGINT collection ship, nestled close to the Cuban coastline intercepting radio communications from the island.

NSA and The Cuban Missile Crisis

So we can see here that Mrs Moody specializes in cryptology so she has the background that matches this character Ann Sandrian person, even looks like a younger version perhaps of the woman in the re-enactment documentary. We even see reference to Mrs Moody being in charge of making alot of "phone" calls to senior military and political decision makers.

I do believe if the story is true, the names would of likely been changed.

leolady

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: leolady
This is really really wierd.

It reminds me of what my wife used to call the Unsolved
Mysteries program:

Unimportant Mysteries

join