It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PELOSI: Thinks Americans can't move to avoid paying taxes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
An American family can't just change their address to avoid paying taxes.
@HouseGOP, why can corporations? Let's put the #MiddleClassFirst!
nation.foxnews.com... -thinks-americans-cant-move-avoid-paying-taxes

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CHinauser

Broken link?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Fox

It's a tweet from Nancy Pelosi Twitter account.

An American family can't just change their address to avoid paying taxes. @HouseGOP, why can corporations? Let's put the #MiddleClassFirst!

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
OP I know you're new, but three out of three threads I've seen you author are awful.

Write more. Express your opinion. Give us something to discuss. Something not about heads of state fighting.

This isn't Facebook and it isn't Twitter. You need to have some freaking substance.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I love you Domo....

But I'm coming to steal your unicorn

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Well as much as I dislike the sour face bitch. She right.

Tax evasion is illegal. Tax unfair or not need to be applied to EVERYONE. So moving to hide from the tax man is breaking the law.

Pay up deadbeats everyone else has to

edit on 14-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

I have to agree. As much as I can't stand Nancy Pelosi, she makes a valid point. I'm sure we'll get some staunch party conservatives who will find fault with her statement.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Actually, it's quite common for retirees and companies from the north east and and other high tax states to move to places like Florida and Texas to reduce their state tax burden.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Actually people can and do move to escape bad conditions, including high taxes all the time. Look at the current exodus of people from California. The only reason the state looks like it's keeping its head above water is because of the influx of illegals. A lot of people who have the means have moved either to take jobs or to take their small businesses and to more business friendly states with better tax climates.

This is part of what the idea of Federalism is all about. Different states would run themselves in different ways and the people would be free to vote with their feet. Part of that does include moving to avoid taxes.

Also, I like how corporations are suddenly people when the democrats find it convenient to label them as such. American people can't move to avoid taxes (false) so why should American businesses? Are people and businesses now equivalent entities in the eyes of Pelosi? So are people no longer people when it comes to paying taxes or are businesses suddenly people?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Did she say that before or is she just saying this because it is so close to election time

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Sure they can, but it is usually an irreversible path. I personally know someone who moved to Singapore, renounced their United States citizenship and pays no income taxes.

edit on 14-9-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Sure they can, but it is usually an irreversible path. I personally know someone who moved to Singapore, renounced their United States citizenship and pays no income taxes.

Well, that's if you want to avoid Federal taxes. And the way things are going these days, it's getting less and less advantageous to be an American citizen all the time.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
whats that i didnt quite understand what you were trying to say, that being an oppressed victim of a 5000 year old scheme to manipulate working class people and sustain the lifestyle of the elite is a necessary evil.
well then move along down the cattle crush like a good lad

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
As goes Pelosi, so goes California.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
whats that i didnt quite understand what you were trying to say, that being an oppressed victim of a 5000 year old scheme to manipulate working class people and sustain the lifestyle of the elite is a necessary evil.
well then move along down the cattle crush like a good lad

If you dont like the law change it.

But I have no sympathy for tax dodgers. IF I have to pay my tax so does the person next to me.

Dont like it? change the fools you have in power or if that fails pick up your guns and overthrow the government.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

I have to agree. As much as I can't stand Nancy Pelosi, she makes a valid point. I'm sure we'll get some staunch party conservatives who will find fault with her statement.

Well, first of all. The corporations that are moving overseas are not doing anything illegal. They are following the laws as written by the very same legislators that are making a fuss about them. Nancy Pelosi has used her own position to get herself and her corporations out of taxes and mandates like the minimum wage as well as getting contracts for her husband's corporation. She is the LAST person with any sort of moral high road to complain about other people trying to get out of a confiscatory tax scheme.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Actually people can and do move to escape bad conditions, including high taxes all the time. Look at the current exodus of people from California. The only reason the state looks like it's keeping its head above water is because of the influx of illegals. A lot of people who have the means have moved either to take jobs or to take their small businesses and to more business friendly states with better tax climates.

It is one thing to move within the country to pay lower state and local taxes, another to leave the country altogether and renounce one's citizenship to avoid paying federal taxes. Some corporations are renouncing the obligations of the fictitious citizenship the the Supreme Court recently granted them without renouncing the privileges.

This is part of what the idea of Federalism is all about. Different states would run themselves in different ways and the people would be free to vote with their feet. Part of that does include moving to avoid taxes.

Ms. Pelosi's tweet was about the corporate practice knaown as inversion.

Also, I like how corporations are suddenly people when the democrats find it convenient to label them as such. American people can't move to avoid taxes (false) so why should American businesses? Are people and businesses now equivalent entities in the eyes of Pelosi? So are people no longer people when it comes to paying taxes or are businesses suddenly people?

You really need to switch off Faux News and pay attention to what is going on. The only way an American citizen can avoid paying federal taxes is to leave their country and renounce their citizenship. This usually results in all manner of inconveniences should they then attempt to visit or do business in the United States. "Inversion" allows a corporation to avoid paying its share for the roads its delivery trucks use, the armed forces that protect its products while being at sea, and so forth. If the Supreme Court's ruling holds, inverted corporations should be treated as "illegal aliens."

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I have the opportunity to discuss this thread and the concept of "Inversion" tonight.

I am basically a sweet fellow, but I've had enough, especially in this area. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Listen in and tell me where I'm wrong (or even if I happen to be right).

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Well, that's if you want to avoid Federal taxes. And the way things are going these days, it's getting less and less advantageous to be an American citizen all the time.

I know lots of people working overseas to avoid taxes. No need to revoke citizenship if you make less than $97,000 a year. Only problem is you still have to file a return. But then again there really isn't a law that says you have to file taxes so maybe some don't.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join