It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hemlock Grove

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I just finished watching the last episode of season 2 last night.

First off, I loved it! Secondly, I also noticed that on a sub conscious emotional level it has left me very disturbed as in Depressed, Sad, Worried, and just having a level of thinking bad things will happen.....

First the music at the beginning of the show, it took me awhile to realize it, but the music is disturbing! I have a background as a classical trombonist, yea it's true, and I really enjoy playing and listening to classical music. It can be emotional on many levels. This short piece however, at least for me, is very disturbing.

Here it is.

Now onto the other issue of the show, that I just can't put a finger on as to why it bothers me!

SHELLY!

I see her portrayed as the monster of the show, as being not human. YET! She is to me, the sacrificial lamb so to speak. Outwardly she is a monster, but she is actually kind, intelligent, compassionate, loving and loyal. Yet, she seems to be in a constant state of misery and emotional pain? I find myself looking at her as the only good thing in a world full of evil.

I will just say this as to not spoil it for someone who has yet to watch it; but, I was so happy for her at the end of season 2 to only be emotionally crushed.

I rarely let ANY show on television become nothing more than mindless entertainment. I thoroughly enjoy every aspect of Hemlock Grove, with the exception of feeling severely depressed and the feelings of hopelessness though, that this show leaves me with. I even wake up the next day having feelings of dread and sadness after watching it.

Anyhow, since I just shared what might be considered to some as embarrassing, emotional issues, I was wondering if anyone else might have noticed these things. After waking up this morning and having to deal with the depression, even after a good nights rest, I need some therapy as to why this show has such an effect on me.

Anyhow, I am interested in others thoughts on this show.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said... I finished watching it a few days ago and felt the same way, especially regarding Shelley.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said... I finished watching it a few days ago and felt the same way, especially regarding Shelley.

Jaden

I am glad it isn't just me then.

I guess the word I was trying to find, is "haunting". I just can't get that feeling to go away?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

She's such a good person and seems to be persecuted persistently, then you're like "YEAH, good for you" then you're like "WTF!!!!!!"

Jaden

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Because of this thread I will give it another chance and try it again.
I looked cool so I cued it up in my netflix but when I started watching I was more like Meh...
Thought it was kinda for the younger generations, but ok Iam gonna give it another go.

Iam in dire need of something to watch. binge-watch, that is.

thanks, and cheers!

Kevin.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Nivek555

Eh, I am an old fool myself, but perhaps my weakness is finding a deeper meaning in our thoughtless entertainment.....

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Hemlock Grove is one of my favorite shows! I'm on S2 E9. It does stir a lot of emotions but that's what I enjoy about it!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Interesting point about the shows effect on you, I too also have similar experiences watching Breaking Bad. I tried the show & the whole cancer thing & the persistent darkness of the show gave me a lasting impression that the world & life in general is pretty grim, & not so much fun, & ironically you even have to work hard to prepare for death.

However, upon resuming & rewatching it (only made it mid way through S1 on my first attempt) I am throroughly enjoying it & those emotions have largely subsided.

edit on 21-9-2014 by AblyEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Just binge-watched this over the weekend. I am so hooked. Too bad I have to wait for the 3rd and final season.
Really good show.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I have a different take on Shelly though.

I mean, no matter how you slice it, the "new body" is really just a copy. It isn't "you", regardless.
They're still killing the original (or at least, it was the plan)...

It's like teleportation in Star Trek. I'm with Bones. Disintegrating me, then putting me back together with a computer program, is still killing ME and replicating me, just like the replicator machine spits out a hot dog and tea, Earl Grey, hot..... No thanks Kirk..... You think Kirk would drink "replicated" Romulan Ale. As they say in the show, they can't get it quite right, so if they can't get THAT right, what confidence do I have in unscrambling MY atoms?

Same idea here on Hemlock Grove. Just doesn't seem to jive that Pryce would take that kind of a risk with Shelly. (which is a great play on words, by the way...i.e. Shelley's Frankenstein).

(yes, I realize the tea is Picard, not Kirk....
)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I started watching this last year and didn't realize it had returned. It's a bit over my head as I can't really figure out what's going on. Like the big research building. It kind of reminds me a bit of LOST. I guess because of the Dharma stuff.

I'll have to check out the 2nd season.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There's going to be a 3rd season, thanks to fan support (and final season), that should wrap it all up, but I can't find an exact release date other than "Summer of 2015". The confirmation was from Netflix though, so not sure if delayed.

It is a bit heady, but a LOT is explained in the 2nd season, especially what Roman and his mother are, etc.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join