It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Twilight Zone!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Hello everyone!

I'm supposing you have guessed from the title what this thread is about. Simply put, I thought what better place to create such a discussion topic than my favourite intellectual website, and as such I would like to know which episode(s) are your favourite ?

I'm on a mini marathon at the moment watching various episodes, mostly the ones from the 50's & 60's as I find them to be the most thought provoking.

For the time being my favourites are "death ship", "people are alike all over", "the mirror", and "black leather jackets". The reasoning behind them being my favourites is due to my fascination regarding the situations in which "we" find ourselves, and the resulting outcomes of the decisions we make..often based on emotion. I'm looking forward to hearing what your favourites are

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Rod Serling was a man ahead of his time. I wouldn't hesitate to say he was a genius in the ways he seemed to know exactly where we were heading in many episodes of the Twilight Zone.

I like the episode where the rich father was dying and his children were just waiting for his last breath so they could get his money. He made a deal with them to wear these hideous death masks until after midnight on the eve of Mardi Gras. As the clock struck 12 he took his last breath and the children began removing their masks.

When the masks were removed their faces had turned into the faces portrayed in each mask. Gluttony, greed, vanity, etc. were all represented (if I recall correctly) in each child.

Payback is a you know what...

I also liked the one where the little boy could make people go away forever. Those left in the town and his parents spent every waking minute trying to appease him so that he wouldn't make them go away forever too. They could not have picked a better child for that part. He was so good in fact, that I would almost assume he was a spoiled brat in real life lol.

The one where the woman was having to pick her body so she could look like everyone else was also good. She wanted to be herself but lived in a time where everyone wanted to look like everyone else. The bodies they could pick were numbered in a catalogue and everyone was expected to undergo the surgery when they came of age.

SEE... I TOLD YOU I COULD KEEP GOING!!! I can't pick!

I really enjoyed the one where the whole episode kept showing a woman with her head wrapped in bandages and the doctors were always coming and going talking about her "condition". When she finally talks them into removing the bandage so she could see her face.... She was beautiful. They then panned to the doctor's face for the first time in the episode and he was hideous. As were all the nurses. But they considered her hideous for her beauty. In the eye of the beholder indeed.

I can't remember the names of the episodes, but I know I've seen each one at least a hundred times. It was an awesome series and I think it ended way too soon. It's hard to pick a favorite as I sit here though. There were many that I really liked.
edit on 9/12/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

I love that show. Even though it's well before my time, it still holds up better than most garbage these days.

Some of my favorites are "the old man in the cave" "probe 7 over and out" "the odyssey of flight 33" and "the trouble with templeton".

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
It's funny how many episodes of the Twilight Zone end with a phrase like...."but........this is Earth.

Outer limits has it's moments as well. And the show "One Step Beyond" is really awesome too...
this is my personal favorite episode from that series.....

edit on 9121414 by Eliyahu because: (no reason given)

edit on 9121414 by Eliyahu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The best thing was.. in the mid to late 70's and early 80's, in my area, they used to show Star Trek and Twilight Zone back to back late at night. Me and my family would sit around the television.. those were happy times. I think it was channel 11 WPIX. I think they showed the Honeymooners after also. That was good television.

Of course if you didn't get good reception you would press down on the ring around the channel knob and twist it around.. or move the antennae around.

Or right, best episode.. let me think about that one.
edit on 12-9-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Rod Serling was a man ahead of his time. I wouldn't hesitate to say he was a genius in the ways he seemed to know exactly where we were heading in many episodes of the Twilight Zone.

I like the episode where the rich father was dying and his children were just waiting for his last breath so they could get his money. He made a deal with them to wear these hideous death masks until after midnight on the eve of Mardi Gras. As the clock struck 12 he took his last breath and the children began removing their masks.

When the masks were removed their faces had turned into the faces portrayed in each mask. Gluttony, greed, vanity, etc. were all represented (if I recall correctly) in each child.

Payback is a you know what...

I also liked the one where the little boy could make people go away forever. Those left in the town and his parents spent every waking minute trying to appease him so that he wouldn't make them go away forever too. They could not have picked a better child for that part. He was so good in fact, that I would almost assume he was a spoiled brat in real life lol.

The one where the woman was having to pick her body so she could look like everyone else was also good. She wanted to be herself but lived in a time where everyone wanted to look like everyone else. The bodies they could pick were numbered in a catalogue and everyone was expected to undergo the surgery when they came of age.

SEE... I TOLD YOU I COULD KEEP GOING!!! I can't pick!

I really enjoyed the one where the whole episode kept showing a woman with her head wrapped in bandages and the doctors were always coming and going talking about her "condition". When she finally talks them into removing the bandage so she could see her face.... She was beautiful. They then panned to the doctor's face for the first time in the episode and he was hideous. As were all the nurses. But they considered her hideous for her beauty. In the eye of the beholder indeed.

I can't remember the names of the episodes, but I know I've seen each one at least a hundred times. It was an awesome series and I think it ended way too soon. It's hard to pick a favorite as I sit here though. There were many that I really liked.

You are absolutely correct about him being ahead of his time! I find it interesting that shows like the Simpsons for instance take so many of their ideas from this series, and yet for those who had not seen it (myself included) think that they are original ideas. Many of the episodes you quoted for instance can also be found in the Simpsons with their own spin of course. one that comes to mind is the episode where Moe gets plastic surgery and becomes good looking, and of course it comes to pass.

Also I am going to be looking for a few of the episodes you listed as I have not had a chance to view them yet, YouTube can be rather picky with the quality of the uploads and as such I've been kind of limited to the "good quality" ones..thank you for your insights

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eliyahu
It's funny how many episodes of the Twilight Zone end with a phrase like...."but........this is Earth.

Outer limits has it's moments as well. And the show "One Step Beyond" is really awesome too...
this is my personal favorite episode from that series.....

I had a discussion just last night regarding what exactly the premise is of the twilight zone, and my response was essentially that it is "supposed" to be occurring in a different dimension however it's simply a matter of how much you believe these things to be true. When watching each episode it is akin in my opinion to what we would call the paranormal but yet what is real and what is simply an illusion! It is only happening in a "different dimension" simply because we choose to view it as seperate from us but as you said "this is earth".

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
The best thing was.. in the mid to late 70's and early 80's, in my area, they used to show Star Trek and Twilight Zone back to back late at night. Me and my family would sit around the television.. those were happy times. I think it was channel 11 WPIX. I think they showed the Honeymooners after also. That was good television.

Of course if you didn't get good reception you would press down on the ring around the channel knob and twist it around.. or move the antennae around.

Or right, best episode.. let me think about that one.

They certainly were happy times weren't they, I remember many fond memories as well of watching these shows on my "old" television set. There was something so much more fascinating about watching it in it's original format, whereas today I mostly watch them on the internet. Those days are the ones I wish to return to, the simplicity and the wholesomeness of it all..and here I am taking cues from the very television show I am speaking of haha, thank you for your input

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: kx12x
a reply to: threeeyesopen

I love that show. Even though it's well before my time, it still holds up better than most garbage these days.

Some of my favorites are "the old man in the cave" "probe 7 over and out" "the odyssey of flight 33" and "the trouble with templeton".

I could not agree more with your opening statement, indeed they are so much more thought provoking than anything I have yet to see on television today. Sure we have some series that tempt to get the observer to think outside the box today, but it has never been accomplished quite so well as this series has. Those are certainly good ones as well, it was very hard to pin point a few favourites for my OP but I think the ones with the recurring theme of human emotion truly highlight that perhaps the events are not simply limited to "the twilight zone". As always thank you for your input

top topics

join